Fortnite: imposters has a lot of similarities with Among Us!

Replies
    views
    Level 52
    Fortnite: Impostors is a new game mode that rolled out on August 17th 2021, one that might sound a bit familiar to anyone who’s played Among Us (one of the other incredibly popular online games right now).

Name:  fortnite-imposters.jpg
Views: 1613
Size:  57.4 KB

Fortnite Impostors sees 10 players, eight agents and two impostors play out their roles on a submarine. Like in Among Us, the agents carry out routine assignments, while the impostors sabotage the facility and eliminate players. Impostors can also teleport players to cover their tracks and disable assignments.

In other words: it’s a Fortnite version of Among Us, with the serial numbers lightly filed off. There are a few differences, of course: everything has been decked out in a Fortnite-themed veneer, with tasks like fixing the Battle Bus or preparing llama supply drops. Impostors don’t kill players, but teleport them away into a rift.

Watch a glimpse of the game here:

As news of the new mode spread online, some of the people behind Among Us expressed their disappointment on social media. Innersloth's lead Unity programmer, Adriel Wallick, expressed her disappointment via Twitter:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="und" dir="ltr">😑🙃😒🤷‍♀️<a href="https://t.co/aPNezC2RBc">https://t.co/aPNezC2RBc</a></p>&mdash; Adriel Wallick (@MsMinotaur) <a href="https://twitter.com/MsMinotaur/status/1427717612780367877?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 17, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Here's the full image:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	imposterfornite.jpg 
Views:	800 
Size:	83.7 KB 
ID:	2248

Gary Porter, a developer for Among Us, also pointed out the similarities between the map that Fortnite uses and Among Us. “It’s okay though they flipped electrical and medbay and connected security to the cafeteria,” joked Porter on Twitter. “I wasn’t even around for the development of Skeld [the first Among Us map] and I’m still kind of offended.” He also tweeted:
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="und" dir="ltr">🤔🤔🤔🤔 <a href="https://t.co/wTESWQHJZD">pic.twitter.com/wTESWQHJZD</a></p>&mdash; Gary Porter (@supergarydeluxe) <a href="https://twitter.com/supergarydeluxe/status/1427717779914989569?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 17, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<hr>

What do you guys think of this? Let me know in the comment section👇

Source: eurogamer.net theverge.com
    My farewell mesage 🌟: in English - in Arabic
    Your new MEA Community Manager is @UnapologeticDino!
  • 7 Replies

Level 52
    Among Us players, would love to hear what you think of this! @nizar @Raine @Haffejeeeee @tmonther
    Level 21
    Thanks for the tag @Tamara - saw the news earlier this week. Disgusting but unsurprising move with this franchise. Started out as a tower defence game, saw PUBG was doing so well so completely ripped them off. Now we can't move for battle royale games. Oh look, among us is doing amazingly well and no one gives a toss about fortnite anymore? Let's rip them off next.

Epic continue to disappoint me - UE5 may look amazing but it's getting delayed all the time. This is why I stick with Unity.
    Level 12
    No one really has any ownership of a certain style of game, but there's always the first one to do it or the first one to do it right, and then there's everyone else out there that adapts it and gives their own spin to it, that's what "stealing like an artist" is all about. You don't actually steal or copy someone else's work, you just iterate on it (except when you actually copy someone else and call it your own).

I don't know how I feel about this in particular. I can't blame Epic for wanting to make more money and have their game include as many game modes as possible or chase the latest trend. If by doing so they would be labeled as thieves, then in reality so would every developer who saw how successful Zelda: Breath of the Wild was and decided they too should adapt that art style.

However, because it's Fortnite and it does have that reputation of "adapting" all the time, and if they did in fact blatantly copy the map, then that's a big no no and I understand why everyone's frustrated. I also fear that this move will negatively affect the player pool of Among Us and in turn the small team at Inner Sloth games.
    Level 23
    @Tamara im not really a fan of this mode and the previous imposter mode that was built but a player, wasn't really as good as among us tbh
    Level 52
    No one really has any ownership of a certain style of game, but there's always the first one to do it or the first one to do it right, and then there's everyone else out there that adapts it and gives their own spin to it, that's what "stealing like an artist" is all about. You don't actually steal or copy someone else's work, you just iterate on it (except when you actually copy someone else and call it your own).

I don't know how I feel about this in particular. I can't blame Epic for wanting to make more money and have their game include as many game modes as possible or chase the latest trend. If by doing so they would be labeled as thieves, then in reality so would every developer who saw how successful Zelda: Breath of the Wild was and decided they too should adapt that art style.

However, because it's Fortnite and it does have that reputation of "adapting" all the time, and if they did in fact blatantly copy the map, then that's a big no no and I understand why everyone's frustrated. I also fear that this move will negatively affect the player pool of Among Us and in turn the small team at Inner Sloth games.

I absolutely love this: "No one really has any ownership of a certain style of game, but there's always the first one to do it or the first one to do it right, and then there's everyone else out there that adapts it and gives their own spin to it, that's what "stealing like an artist" is all about."

That's very true but in this case it's quite obvious that there are massive similarities between the 2 games so I wouldn't blame the developers of Among Us of being disappointed - it's their right when they put so much work into something.
    Level 52
    @Raine yuup I agree! Not the first time they do this but I wonder what their perspective on this would be? Do they deny having copied Among Us or do they admit having been "inspired" by it?
    Level 52
    @Haffejeeeee I thought you liked it! For me at least, it's not an addictive game but it's still nice to play especially when you're the imposter!