Legion 5 pro battery life

Replies
    views
    Level 1
    Hi.I have just purchased the 5 pro laptop and although it's awesome the battery is draining fast.
    I have enabled hybrid mode, turn Bluetooth off, set brightness at 40% and still I get only 3 hours battery life from full charge. All that in light use.
    Any ideas what's the problem? I have read that people get 6 to 7 hours on those settings.
  • 5 Replies

Level 4
    Hi.I have just purchased the 5 pro laptop and although it's awesome the battery is draining fast.
    I have enabled hybrid mode, turn Bluetooth off, set brightness at 40% and still I get only 3 hours battery life from full charge. All that in light use.
    Any ideas what's the problem? I have read that people get 6 to 7 hours on those settings.

Me too I have the same problems, from 100% battery to 10% in less than 3 hours of light use
    Level 10
    3 hours in which condition of use? Gaming or others?I have the model 15ACH6 and tge battery is a 4 cell 80000mWh
    In silent mode, 80% brightness, using the laptop for the job (Word, Excel, Outlook, light editing light of pictures, various software), amusement (browsing with many tab opened,YouTube), I arrived at approx 6 hours from 100% to 20% capacity. Half an hour more to drop to 14%. No slowdowns at all. Note: most of the time attached to the laptop there was an external HD that consumed power.

Last edited by Scafazio70; 03-10-21 at 02:34.
    Level 1
    It's taken until 2 years later to realise just how horrible the battery was on this computer. I have only cycled it 34 times due to it's main desktop use. Honestly, I just thought I was doing something wrong. I have only needed to take it out a handful of times without its power pack and I've certainly loved it's gaming ability when plugged in but I just didn't realise how bad the battery was. I never would have bought a laptop for just under $3000 AUD if I knew. I bought the Ryzen version based from JarrodTech review showing a battery test where gaming run time got 128mins and youtube watching got 450mins.
    I don't see any battery claims on here but IRL this thing drains at LEAST 1% per minute. Even took the thing to a coffee shop on the 'quiet' mode where the screen brightness is turned down and it had 60% on it. It didn't even last through a 30 minute interview. Embarrasing.

Thank you to tech support for doing a battery replacement after testing it to run flat in 68 mins however I really don't think that the new one is draining any slower. 100%-10% in 1hr 20. Will consider alternatives to balance work/gaming for me in the future. Given I'm only playing aoe4 and not the lastest AAA games I need to rethink my choices. Also I do think that manufacturers need to do something more to give better expectations or even a mode which allows the battery life to be achieved. Even a little pop up to explain if you make things different.

I don't know the answer to the problem as it's likely to be bigger than we think. Even the tech guy who was subcontracted to replace my battery said he works for Lenovo/Dell and Apple and he said ALL of these big companies falsely advertise their battery claims with 'perfect conditions' that are completely unrealistic in the real world. Sad really.
    Community Manager
    @Lascax any comments on this discussion about the battery life?
    Level 37
    @semore666 Unfortunately batteries are prone to deplete faster on gaming laptops, but I can suggest you the specific adjustments to maximize the duration:
    • Change the Monitor Frequency to the lowest Hz with Fn+R ( should be 60Hz )
    • Use the Conservation Mode when you are often switching between charger and battery ( unless you always go to below 20% charge )
    • Use the Hybrid Mode ( dGPU depletes A LOT even on Quiet )
    • If you are using anything that does animations in background, close those programs ( Animated Wallpapers, for example, or background videos in browsers )
    • Obviously Quiet Mode and Brightness Adjustments you already do
    • Disable the keyboard illumination with Fn+Spacebar
    • Consider Switching to iGPU if you're expecting to rely

Apart from these adjustments, I can tell you that by my personal experience reaching 4 hours is not easy unless you do ALL these adjustments and very light work. Even doing an online call will drain further the battery life for that session.
    Jarrod's tests are valid, btw, but he does all these adjustments and most probably runs at 20% brightness + no sound and no peripherals, w/o any background program apart the YT page on a light browser like Edge.