Bizzare genre combos

Replies
    views
    Community Manager
    Hello Legion Gamers!

Today, I wanted to ask about unusual genre combos. It is relatively common for a game franchise to experiment and try to branch out into different genres.

The most famous example would probably be Mario: as we know, apart from being a plumber and princess rescuer, Mario is also an acclaimed racer, doctor, musician and who knows what else, and games about him grew out of humble side-scrolling beginnings into platformers, races and more. Way to go, Italian plumber!

And this is good, always interesting to see how franchises grow. But sometimes, games experiment and come up with rather bizarre genre combos. The one I am thinking about now is Day by Daylight.

Many of us know and some of us love this game, where you get to play as either a killer or a member of a group of survivors trying to escape him (or her) in an intricate maze of a game of life and death. It is an interesting if horrifying experience.

The rush of adrenaline, the lure of the hunt, the surge of emotions! Not surprisingly then that one of the questions players soon started to ask is "Would it be possible to take one of those killers on a date?"

At least, this is what I think the developers were thinking as they introduced a rather unusual direction for the game, and the wait is finally over: earlier this summer we got a new release: the Hooked on You dating sim!

Now you can court the most iconic killers in a tropical paradise!

It is a nice little game for those who like dating sims. But for me, it is also a most bizarre example of mixing up the genres: rarely developers can pull off jumping all the way from horror to dating sim. And certainly makes us see those killers in a new light!

This got me thinking: how many more unusual examples like this one are out there, and I could not remember any. Is Dead by Daylight really a pioneer in this? Unless someone could share other interesting examples?
    Last edited by DoctorEldritch; 11-08-22 at 11:21.
  • 5 Replies

Level 52
    @DoctorEldritch Interesting question! I've never seen any other games going this route. Dead by Daylight is a great game and I enjoyed it a lot. Hooked on you also looks interesting.
    Community Manager
    @DracoTarot I have not played Dead by Daylight that much, maybe in one of the future Game Nights (would fit nicely in October), but I got interested and tried Hooked on You. It is interesting, if standard enough, as far as dating sims go, but because I am not too familiar with the original Dead by Daylight lore, I guess I miss a lot of references. I get all:

But, maybe, it will make for an interesting experience to play it in reverse like that, starting with Hooked on You and moving to Dead by Daylight. I imagine we could be running from the Huntress in one of the games and I could be thinking "I can't believe we used to go out". That'd be something like League of Evil Exes.
    Level 52
    @DoctorEldritch 😄😄. Would be nice to play Hooked on You!! Seems interesting!
    Community Manager
    @DracoTarot It is cheaper and not as demanding as its horror counterpart, too!
    Community Manager
    And for those who enjoy spotting differences, but not in as extreme of an example as this, here is a little challenge for you!