Mortal Kombat Legends: Snow Blind to be released in October!

Replies
    views
    Community Manager
    Hello Legion Gamers!

A fun time to be a game animation fan: along with a fresh new release of DOTA: Dragon's Blood: Book 3 today, we also got an announcement about the upcoming Mortal Kombat animated film for Autumn:

Tell you the truth, never been too much of a fighter fan, so all Mortal Kombat games passed me by, but you do not need to be a fan of the game to enjoy a good story. And the film boasts an impressive voice casting and is reminiscent in style of The Last Airbender (for me, at least), so on my list it goes. Do we have any Mortal Kombat fans around, who else will be waiting for it?
  • 23 Replies

Level 52
    @DoctorEldritch I've always been a fan of Mortal Kombat. I have most of the games and still play them once in a while. Can't wait for the new Movie release including Snowblind!!
    Community Manager
    @DracoTarot "including Snowblind" does this mean there are other movies to be released as well that we've not heard about yet?
    Level 52
    @DoctorEldritch yea they are filming the MK 2 movie!! I think it will be released sometime this year not sure. I know there are some delays!!

Community Manager
    @DracoTarot I get more excited about game-based animation, mainly because it is easier to portray characters just as they are in games and because there are more "effects" you can do this way, but the movie sounds cool! Something else to look forward to!

Though, I have not seen the first MK movie. The last game-based live move I've seen was probably Warcraft and, to be honest, I did not like it all that much. But with MK I am hoping for beautiful and well-paced fighting scenes.
    Level 52
    @DoctorEldritch I liked the first movie and wasn't too bad. They could have done better in my opinion with the storyline. The actors are ok for the roles and also the special effects were great. Not everyone's cup of tea though!!

Give it a go, and watch the movie if you have some free time on your hands. You'll maybe like it or not lol!!

Warcraft was also ok for me. I would rate the movie a 6 out of 10 at least for effort!
    Community Manager
    @DracoTarot It is a bit hard to make a good storyline for a fighting game, in retrospect. You'd want to showcase fighting styles and abilities and exciting moves, and the story draws focus away from that a bit sometimes. They tried to use them in synergy in an older Iron Fist series, but there, too, they did not really manage to balance, I think. And lost it even more in season 2.

I'd be happy enough, maybe, if they simply had "here is a tournament, here are fighters, only one wins, let's go!" but really put emphasis on the spectacle, make it a dance competition show-style performance. But we'll see.

The effort is all good and well, but, I want to say that such a rich universe with so much lore as WoW (more on it here! thanks to @Liue!) deserved more than just an effort, valiant though it was. But oh well.
    Level 52
    @DoctorEldritch I agree with you on that one. MK is just a tournament that has one winner in the end. Who reigns supreme and rules the outworld. The storyline is based more on characters. Who, what, where and when!! I want to see more than that.

Fighting games actually seem hard to script. One totally big failure was Streetfighter! They ruined the whole franchise with the movies.

I keep on supporting MK because I grew up with the franchise. The first fighting game I mastered was MK. The arcade version was the best.

To this day I am able to remember most of the key bindings for fatalities for each character lol!! MK just stuck with me.
    Community Manager
    @DracoTarot It is inspiring when there is a franchise or a game that takes you all the way back to childhood. Would probably be Monkey Island for me, I am a mighty pirate, not a fighter.

And if this is what you like, then maybe a good direction would be to do the same thing as Arcane did for LoL? Do a...prequel, of sorts, to show how characters grew to be the fighters they are?

In MK lore, do characters interact a lot with each other before the tournament? You know, stuff like:
    -You killed my father!
    -No, I am your father!

Ancient feuds and all that drama that makes the tournament more than just an extreme sports event?
    Level 52
    @DoctorEldritch the characters do interact a lot with each other. They are basically split in two like in most games. Good versus evil and yea most of the characters have some sort of loss. Either their parents were assassinated or there were losses in the MK tournaments.

MK at least have some feuds and not only straightforward fighting like a boxing match for a trophy. It goes deeper much deeper. There are also a few gods like Raiden who are part of the Netherealm. He is almost like Thor and has special abilities while other characters are only mortals.