What is the best monitor for gaming?

Replies
    views
    Community Manager
    @ninja3020luffy thank you and do not worry about replies being long, there is a lot of good information there, and I do not get bored that easily, especially not here. On the contrary, I get bored when I got nothing to read 😉

But I found it interesting how @GoLLuM13 (yeah, he is a true expert) talked you out of the curved monitor, but you then ended up buying the one he was also against of.

I do have one question though. We do seem to align in what we want from the monitor, I am also not a heavily FPS games player, but a monitor is something that can outlive your current PC. I mean, I have RTX 3060 now, but I may upgrade sometime in the future. So, planning ahead, what would happen if I did invest in a 4k monitor now, would it work badly with RTX 3060, or is it not a big issue? I am just trying to plan it the way where I would not need to change the monitor as well as a PC/laptop when I change them next time.

PS; I think the pictures are actually pretty good, I love the cat (both of them are nice, but the white one is extra so), and your desktop is so organized! My icons are all over the place...
    Level 52
    @ninja3020luffy @DoctorEldritch thank you for your kind words 😊

If I may answer to your questions @DoctorEldritch it's not that I told him not to buy this monitor it's just that I recommended to go for the 27" version more than the 32" version for the reason I stated before. I told him they are both good but the 27" would probably be better.

Now for the second part about 4K, this is where choices have to be made 😁 RTX 3060 was aiming for 1080p players and maybe some 1440p players who don't look too much the framerates especially on ultra settings. Now 4K is a bit too much for the RTX 3060 at least if you hope reaching 60fps on ultra settings some games might get there, especially if you're willing to drop the settings a notch or two AC: Valhalla will be on 4K Ultra at around an average of 30 fps. While it is true that a monitor is an investment that outlives the builds, you should also think about the experience you'll have with your actual PC.

So if you are willing to drop the settings a notch or two and with the help of DLSS to hopefully reach 50 or 60 fps in games and get a more adequate GPU when you'll have your next build go for 2160p (4K).
    If you just want a good framerate and don't care about anything else, go for 1080p.
    If you want the middle ground, A sharper image compared to 1080p but not as sharp as 2160p and a higher framerate compared to 2160p but not as high as 1080p, or to summarize this, something that will "torture" your GPU but not too much and will be good enough for a future build, go for 1440p.

And I would like to add an information I forgot to mention before, don't let marketing suck you in especially with HDR certifications, most of the monitors with HDR stickers are more like HDAren't. All the certifications below HDR600 are pure marketing. And HDR600 is just the beginning where things are acceptable, the true HDR experience begins with HDR1000 and let's be honest, these monitors cost a lot 😂

PS: I'm talking as a gamer perspective when I mention different resolutions, but if the main activity for the monitor is working or content consumption (movies, shows ...) things are different for non-intensive GPU tasks a 4K monitor with colors is perfect
    Community Manager
    @ninja3020luffy @DoctorEldritch thank you for your kind words 😊

You deserve every syllable!

As for resolution and framerate, well, to be honest, I never adjust those things manually, I usually go for the auto-determined option, so whatever settings the PC thinks the game would run best with is what I go for. Mainly because I do not have the technical know-how of what most of those settings mean in terms of game performance, so I leave it to PC to figure out what's best. Yeah, I am a lazy gamer. But it also means I am not overly concerned about dropping the settings, especially if PC wants to do it, too.

And at the end of the day, the main underlying reason for me to buy the new monitor is that I'd like a bigger screen. But, at the same time, as long as I am making an investment anyway, it could be something that can work well with what I have now and what I may have in the future. I do see your points about 4k being a bit of an overkill and that 1440p is a good option even where planning for the future is concerned. What I am a bit worried about now is, if I go for 1440p now and change the PC for something more powerful later, how likely it could be that then I'd need to change the monitor again?

Ideally, I'd want to invest in something that would serve me a long time and not make me think if my monitor will handle it when the time comes to upgrade the PC. If 1440p is a good option for this, then I'll go for that one.

As for the marketing stunts of HDR, I would not worry too much about that, here I am protected by blissful ignorance as I do not know what the HDR certification is. So I can't really be impressed by whatever it is 😉

But, as you said, gaming is but a part of what a PC is used for, and I do work on it and watch shows. Though not sure if there is any huge difference as far as movies are concerned between 1440p and 4k for it to be a deciding factor. I mean, now I am watching all of them in 1080p.
    Community Manager
    So, this weekend I went to the PC store to get the feel of the monitors of different sizes like @M2lobaz suggested. Which was a very good call, thank you @M2lobaz, because it seems to me that 32 inches may be a bit too big for me.
    @ninja3020luffy, if you do not mind me asking, how far do you sit from your monitor? Because when I was trying it out, with 32 inches, I could not see the whole screen all at once even relatively far away from it, I could see the centre, but the sides and corners were peripheral and it was not very comfortable. But maybe it comes down to personal preference and gaming style, I am not sure.

Unfortunately, the shop only had 32-inch and 23-inch options, so I could not check the feel of the 27-inch option that @GoLLuM13 suggested before, but from what I could tell by trying the 23-inch one, that size is too small, so I think the 27-inch is the correct size for me. Or maybe @ninja3020luffy has some secret wisdom on how to use big monitors? 😉

Thank you for helping me to narrow it down!
    Level 48
    @DoctorEldritch
    size depends on game type take for example:
    Competetive games like (cod, valorant, r6s, csgo...etc)
    it's preferable to get a small monitor 23/24 inch notice you'll need to set closer to the monitor.

but for chilling games where you play the campaing (assassin's creed, RDR2, Spiderman) or having fun with friends on a chill multiplayer game like (GTAV,among us, Mortal Kombat, fall guys, cuphead..etc) or strategy and sports games..you need a bigger monitor 27/32 inch notice you'll need to set a little further back away from monitor.
    Hardly Adapting...Barely Surviving
    Community Manager
    @M2lobaz true but, well, 27 I find quite nice, but 32 is a bit too much. Maybe because to see what is happening on the monitor border I need to turn my head just slightly, but after a while, it can make my neck hurt, I fear. But that was my impression. So now I am looking into 27-inch options.
    Level 12
    @DoctorEldritch lol i don't have secret wisdom on how to use big monitors hahaha 😉 but i will tell u something before i bought the monitor I seen a TV(32) that is in our Livingroom and i was like wow do i want to but this in my desk, But i wanted a big monitor. It turns out that the 32 inches is some what small for me lol i can show u how far am sitting.
    Name:  WhatsApp Image 2022-10-14 at 7.39.56 PM.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  86.6 KB
    that is literally how i see my monitor.
    Also i think u have 30days to return any electronic device and follow ur heart and test it in the 30 days if u don't like it return it that is how i choose my electronics but i wish i had an ultrawide monitor 😉😂 so am sorry for the late respond and @M2lobaz summarized everything perfectly.
    Last edited by ninja3020luffy; 15-10-22 at 00:28.
    It's shanks ✌
    Level 52
    I do see your points about 4k being a bit of an overkill and that 1440p is a good option even where planning for the future is concerned. What I am a bit worried about now is, if I go for 1440p now and change the PC for something more powerful later, how likely it could be that then I'd need to change the monitor again?

Ideally, I'd want to invest in something that would serve me a long time and not make me think if my monitor will handle it when the time comes to upgrade the PC. If 1440p is a good option for this, then I'll go for that one.

As for the marketing stunts of HDR, I would not worry too much about that, here I am protected by blissful ignorance as I do not know what the HDR certification is. So I can't really be impressed by whatever it is 😉

But, as you said, gaming is but a part of what a PC is used for, and I do work on it and watch shows. Though not sure if there is any huge difference as far as movies are concerned between 1440p and 4k for it to be a deciding factor. I mean, now I am watching all of them in 1080p.

Imo 1440p is going to remain a good resolution for a long time. 4K gaming is getting better, but it's still not there yet when it comes to frames. Basically it's a lot more pixels to render than 1440p so it's very resource heavy. The high resolution panels have lower refresh rates. So it's a matter of deciding what you prefer more; stable and high frames per second or possible bit higher graphics fidelity.

When it comes to the selection of the monitor, a lot is dictated by the budget. If I have to pick a cheap monitor for someone, I mainly make sure it has adjustable stand, that's fairly important. Having the monitor stuck at a static height and angle is not nice. Then when the budget allows more, I look at the other properties too. Obviously, higher resolutions are already at premium prices, but there are other things at play, such as refresh rate or the panel type.

Personally I like IPS screens a lot and TNs look horrible to me these days. I have one of the first 165Hz 1440p IPS models, so it's a bit old now. A bit over a year ago I was able to grab a monitor with quite close parameters for half of the price. By coincidence its brand is Lenovo. 😉I wasn't really expecting much from that monitor when first picking it up, because it was a steal of a deal, but it turned out surprisingly good and became my SO's main monitor.

My SO has a TN next to the Lenovo IPS on his desk and you can really spot which one is which. Both have the same resolution and refresh rate, however I usually see the screens at an angle. TNs look terrible from the side, the colours often are distorted. At a straight angle they are also typically not as vibrant as IPS. The downside of IPS is a bit of motion blur, it depends a bit on the specific monitor. For some people it might be a dealbreaker. I don't notice it myself after getting used to it.

The size of the monitor largely depends on how far one is sitting from it. Basically with my standard IKEA desk I was almost able to count the pixels on a 1080p 24" screen. It is better with 27" 1440p. Seeing the pixel grid was not so much fun.
    Community Manager
    Oh my, with Halloween and Ghost Hunt and Pumpkin Carving I seem to have neglected this thread a bit, apologies! And Black Friday is approaching on the 25th this year, so I have 2 more weeks to make my decision. And at least I settled on the 27-inch size by now.

But to make matters complicated, one of my friends recently advised me to go for ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ HDR Gaming Monitor. So now I am spending my evenings comparing the parameters of that and the LG 27GP850-B 27-inch monitor (I hope I give the right link) that @GoLLuM13 suggested (the one that @ninja3020luffy has a 32-inch version of).

Any advice on these two? If the price is to be used as an indicator, ASUS seems to be a bit better, but @GoLLuM13 warned me not to rely on that. And @Saka is right, budget is a factor, but I like to invest in more high-grade devices that would last long and serve well when it comes to gaming, so am prepared for some expenditure. And damn the expense!

But your Legion monitor purchase is interesting too, do you know what model that was? And how long ago did you buy it?
    Last edited by DoctorEldritch; 10-11-22 at 22:21.
    Level 52
    But your Legion monitor purchase is interesting too, do you know what model that was? And how long ago did you buy it?

I think it was about 1.5 year to two years ago. I don't remember exactly. The model is Lenovo G27q-20 and if I recall we got it for 250 euro or something like that, it was under 300 for sure. For that price it has absolutely exceeded the expectations. The adaptive sync works, no flickering, the ghosting is quite low for an IPS panel.

As for your choice between the two positons listed, I'd just watch some in-depth reviews and try based on that. On paper they are very similarly specced, the LG is a bit brighter. But there are often some little kinks that are obviously not mentioned on the product page.
    Unamused Snarktooth. Advocate for hearing loss & accessibility. Person, friend and a terrible/terrific* artist.
    *delete as appropriate