What is the best vampire movie or series?

Replies
    views
    Community Manager
    Hello Legion Gamers!

The spooky month is gaining steam and this week the vampires are all over the place as Thursday's Bloodhunt game approaches! 🧛 On Monday we started talking about vampire games, and yesterday recalled our favourite bloodsuckers in general (of course, that does not mean that it is now too late to post in any of these).

So the next logical topic would, naturally, be about the series and films with vampires! Which may not be the same as favourite vampires, too, for example, I like Dracula the most, and I liked how Claes Bang portrayed him in the Dracula miniseries, but I really did not like the ending there. At all.

So yeah, I may like Dracula, but my favourite series about vampires would probably be something funnier, like What We Do in the Shadows, a vampire sitcom:

Mostly because I like Natasia Demetriou (who also voiced Cala Maria in The Cuphead Show). And her name is pretty close to that of Alcina Dimitrescu. Coincidence? I think not! 😉

As for the movies, I think I'd still go for Christopher Lee one.

What about you? I know there are some mentions already, with Van Hellsing from @M2lobaz or several options for @j7schultz like Underworld or the iconic Buffy! Or Blade from @cyrusnimda!

🦇 So what else is there, what vampire films are your favourite? 🦇
    Last edited by DoctorEldritch; 06-10-22 at 12:48.
  • 19 Replies

Level 47
    Oh man, now we're talking!
    Some of the vamps series I like:

The Strain - It is sooooo scary I had to stop watching, even tho I really enjoyed the show.

Vampires - from Netflix France. I am still waiting on the 2nd season.

Heirs of the night - on Prime Video. It has vampire children.

First Kill - on Netflix. About adolescent vamps and hunters.

Blood Ties - a Canadian series. True vamp crimes vibe.

Vampire Academy - based on the book's saga. Almost like a vampire Hogwarts, but a little more adult.

And those are just to mention a few of the vampire series I watch.
    Community Manager
    @j7schultz Wow, so many options! And that Strain one is almost an upsetting image, I will not watch that one after lunch for sure. But what about the rest, any particular reasons why you like these, there is a lot, so I am trying to narrow it down and see what is special about each of them.
    Level 47
    @DoctorEldritch - If you like teen/juvenile series, First Kill and Heirs of the night are excellent picks.

The Strain is awesome, but in all of its awesomeness it is heavy to watch, gore and scary. I am waiting to have a boyfriend, so I don't watch it alone.

I just love series, books and movies when they have a theme that I'm really into (fantasy, magic, vampires, etc), so I will consume pretty much everything I can put my hands on.
    Community Manager
    @j7schultz This is branching out to books, but we might as well! Have you read Carpe Jugulum? Like everything Sir Terry wrote, I liked that outlook on vampires very much, and the ending is just superb in it's irony!
    Level 47
    @DoctorEldritch - That one I haven't, thanks for the recommendation! I have read Vampire Diaries, Southern Vampire Mysteries (True Blood series), Vampire Academy, Cirque du Freak, Anne Rice, André Vianco, Twilight saga... just to mention a few vamp sagas I have read.
    Level 52
    @DoctorEldritch My favourite series so far was True Blood and the movie is like the most was Interview with Vampire and the whole Vampire Chronicles collection. Of course, I must mention Nosferatu again!

Level 31
    @DoctorEldritch wow so many good recomendations! Unpopular opinion I know, but I loved the BBC Dracula! The ending was not so bad, it was not the best, and the first half of the last episode was kinda silly but the ending was ok. And the firts episode was simply a master piece, we all love Agatha I think. I was cracking up with the trailer of What we do int hte Shadows, I love Waititi so I must watch it!
    @j7schultz hahahahah my little sister is a huge fan of First Kill, I must watch it. I started Vampire Academy but it was not my thing (thou the soundtrack is really fun)
    @DracoTarot Nosferatu will forever be a classic. And for all the pepole who have not yet watched it, do it, it is a fun experience.

I am very surprised nobody has mentioned Only Lovers Left Alive, its a brilliant movie (specialy if you like cult and independent films), it has beautiful dialoges and amazing soundtrack (and a very good cast). Tilda Swinton and Tom Hiddleston portray two vampire lovers, who can live forever, but one of them is suicidal and has lost any lust or joy for life. It is about loving the little things about life and rediscovering art, music and love, really recomend it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycOKvWrwYFo

Btw i dont know how to make the youtube links all pretty as you guys do, but here is the trailer.
    Community Manager
    @DoctorEldritch - That one I haven't, thanks for the recommendation! I have read Vampire Diaries, Southern Vampire Mysteries (True Blood series), Vampire Academy, Cirque du Freak, Anne Rice, André Vianco, Twilight saga... just to mention a few vamp sagas I have read.

Impressive! You must be as learned as Van Hellsing when it comes to vampires then by now! 😉

Well, Carpe Jugulum is part of Terry Pratchett's Discworld series, which I can wholeheartedly recommend, but it is a bit difficult to orient in, the series is long, over 40 books, and they are separated into several cycles, about guards or wizards or witches or Death.

But fear not, for I have an excellent guide for reading that cycle, behold!

Name:  Discworld_ReadingGuide_Infographic_EpicReads.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  95.6 KB

I find it best to read it from the beginning, this way you know everything and you can really see the improvement in writing over time, as well. But given how many books there are, it may be a bit of a tall order, but if you do decide to read it, I would definitely suggest reading all the books from the Witches cycle that come before Carpe Jugulum, that way, you'll get the most out of the experience.
    Community Manager
    @galadrielmt About BBC Dracula, I agree that the first 2 episodes are good, but the third one... I am with you that the first part is silly, but the ending for me is really not good. Because for me, Dracula as a vampire always has to have this quality about the lack of humanity. Dracula is supernatural and by definition inhuman, when he demonstrates glimpses of humanity it is a hunter's facade, a mimicry to capture the prey. For me, at least. But here they made an echo of his former humanity and its quality of feeling the shame of fear of death into his core (hidden even from him) motive and the source of his powers. And, to me, that sort of character deconstruction is fundamentally wrong.

But that's me, I mean, it is often like this with Moffat, I also had the same reaction to his Sherlock: I like Cumberbatch (and Freeman), but I really did not like that show either. I think it would do better if not connected to Sir Conan Doyle's character.

But I don't want to rant about that, we're all about vampires here! I would advise trying What We Do in The Shadows, if their humour works for you, then it can be very entertaining!

And thank you for Only Lovers Left Alive, I have not actually even heard about that one, I'll need to check it out!