Epic Games Store Free Games 27 October - 03 November

Replies
    views
    Community Manager
    Hello Legion Gamers!

Every week throughout the year, Epic Games Store offers games for free!

As before, during the month of Halloween, EGS is offering one scary game and one regular game for free. So this week's free games are... 🥁

Saturnalia

A Survival Horror Adventure: as an ensemble cast, explore an isolated village of ancient ritual – its labyrinthine roads change each time you lose all your characters.

Never played this one, but it's been praised for its unique art style and design. So if you're a "style over substance" type of gamer (which is a fair approach, too!), then this may be an interesting if scary option. And if you're not into horror games at all, but still like the style, then a somewhat similar Paper Cut Mansion just came out yesterday (and is part of the Steam sale, too!)

And that is not all, and the next free game this time is...🥁

Warhammer 40,000: Mechanicus

Take control of the most technologically advanced army in the Imperium - The Adeptus Mechanicus. Your every decision will weigh heavily on the outcome of the mission, in this turn-based tactical game. Will you be blessed by the Omnissiah?

Ah, a treat for all Warhammer 40,000 fans. If you (like me) like the Warhammer 40,000 universe, then this is a very nice game to try. Or, if you're not familiar with it, but like turn-based tactics (think XCOM), then this, too, would be a fine way to spend a few evenings. I played it already, and I liked it, so this one I can personally recommend. Though, the DLC broke balance a bit in my opinion, though it is me being grumpy.

And it is a nice way to get familiar with the universe, as more Warhammer 40,000 games are coming with fans around the globe waiting for Darktide to come out in just a month (hopefully)! So it is a nice appetiser before the main dish arrives! 😉

Either way, 2 very decent games for free this week, so don't miss the chance to grab them before the spooky month is over!

How about it, see anything you like?
  • 7 Replies

Level 52
    @DoctorEldritch Saturnalia looks Epic. I am a fan of the Warhammer series but haven't played in a while.
    Community Manager
    @DracoTarot Now is a good time. I like the universe and tabletop, but games about it are very hit or miss. Dawn of War 1 was not bad, but 2 moved away from the base building to squad command, which I did not really like. Part 3 was decent, but the art style was odd. there are a few decent hooters, but nothing overly impressive, but Mecanicus is not bad as far as turn-based tactics are concerned. But I am happy that new games are coming, and new cartoon series, too!

And it is a very rich universe with many layers. You can resolve conflicts on a city scale like in Necromunda: Hired Gun, or as a squad, or on a planetary or even star system scale. I think that currently, my favourite game in the franchise is Gothic Armada 2, where you get to engage in an entire sector. There is something very satisfying in caving a whole Imperial Navy fleet at your command:

Feel the epic.
    Level 52
    @DoctorEldritch I do agree with you there is much weirdness in the Warhammer series and I also thought no 2 was a bit odd with only squad command.

The only reason I like Warhammer so much was because of LAN parties. And my buds introduced the game to me and as a casual gamer Warhammer was a good game to pass some time and fun to play single-player.

Now That you've mentioned all the shortcomings I wondered If I will still enjoy Warhammer as much.😂

I've seen Battlefleet Gothic on Steam a few times. I haven't played the game yet. At one stage Battlefleet Gothic was a tad too expensive to download and I forgot all about it. I just had a look and see it's a quarter of the price as before. I'll give it a go and see what all the fuss is about. 😁
    Community Manager
    @DracoTarot if you do play it, I'd say it is safe to start with Gothic Armada 2 and skip the first part. They are almost not connected, and in GA2 they polished the mechanics and introduced new controllable factions (4 with expansion) and some super-units, and it is generally an overall better experience, I'd say. And per the plot, after the events of the Gothic Armada, the main character got into a maelstrom and got thrown 800 years into the future (just into the famous Battle for Cadia), so the connection to the first game really is minimal.
    Level 52
    @DoctorEldritch I'll follow your advice. It would be better to try out GA2 first before playing the others again. 😊
    Community Manager
    @DracoTarot It would be if you like tactical strategies. And the Warhammer 40K ambience is very nice.