My Fascination with Tarot

Replies
    views
    Level 52
    @j7schultz the Cat deck is a nice set. There are a few out there I still have to collect but they are not always easy to find. Most of the time the decks are sold out or too expensive.

I'm away for the weekend and when I'm back home I'll take a few photos and upload them here. 😊

I agree, what terrible years we had especially with what has happened in the world and still happening.

Sure, I can certainly look into things for you. 😊
    Level 47
    @DracoTarot - Thank you very much, I really appreciate it! And for every post you do about all of this cool stuff, please tag me :D
    Level 52
    @j7schultz- You're welcome and I'll tag you in all the posts. Thank you for your comments and interest. 😊
    Community Manager
    @DracoTarot I recently came across a nice addition to this thread. @ZaidH and I were discussing Yakuza games for some time, but we're currently taking a break. So to fill that "Japanese game" segment in my gaming, I turned to the Persona series and started with Persona 4 Golden:

This is a more classic Japanese game not unlike Pokemon, to a degree, or Yokai Watch that I was working on translating in the past. And the game comes from Nintendo, so you can see traces of that in gameplay. The protagonist can summon a wide variety of creatures (in this franchise called Personas, hence the name) and build friendships and romantic relationships with different NPCs.

But the reason I mention it here is that each NPC has a story associated with them and each NPC also is symbolized by a Tarot card from the major arcana. So maybe those who know Tarot card meanings can glimpse into the hidden depths of each character. I think Persona 5 has the same concept, but I have not tried it yet, so can't really say.

Have you heard about this series?
    Level 52
    @DoctorEldritch I never knew this game existed until now. Looks really interesting and if Tarot cards are involved Persona 4 has my attention. I'm definitely going to check it out for myself. The gameplay looks fun.

Maybe it's time to start a new thread about my passion again. Dunno who would be interested though. I know you and @j7schultz may enjoy another post or two.

Does the game only focus on Major Arcana? It would be cool if they also incorporated the minor arcana especially cards with a reversed meaning.
    Last edited by DracoTarot; 24-03-23 at 15:52.
    Community Manager
    @DracoTarot I think they have minor arcana as well, but its role is much smaller, minor arcana cards act as upgrade symbols that you can gather as you fight your way through game dungeons. They are not as intertwined with the characters as major arcana is. Not sure about Persona 5, though.
    Level 52
    @DoctorEldritch Even if the minor arcana plays only a small role it's still great. Using the minor arcana as upgrade symbols was a great idea.

Did you know that there are tarot references inCyberpunk 2077? Even in the realm of futuristic sci-fi, there is a place for the mysticism of the arcana. Furthermore, the arcana play a central role in the game's storytelling. In short, the arcana becomes part of the story when the player-controlled protagonist's mind becomes entangled with the digital consciousness of Keanu Reeve's character, Johnny Silverhand. From that moment on, you'll find murals dedicated to the tarot throughout Night City and the Badlands. Later on, the game's various endings feature exclusive arcana representing each.

Community Manager
    @DracoTarot I did not know that, but I deliberately kept myself away from any news about Cyberpunk 2077, I am waiting for that big DLC to come out. I read that they will only have that one big expansion, so when it is here and turns the game into GOTY, I will play it. Then I will be able to look into it more. But the concept does sound intriguing.

Cyberpunk in general likes to mix high technology with elements of the occult. This genre, in some cases, likes to dance around the notion that "any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic", to blur the line between supernatural visions and drug-induced high and push borders of what the human body and mind are capable of. And Tarot is such an established element of occult, no wonder it fits that setting so well.
    Level 52
    @DoctorEldritch Cyberpunk 2077 isn't one of the best games I've ever played but I do like the concept. Keanu is also one of my favourite actors and fits his role in the game perfectly.

I think you would enjoy the game. Not sure when the DLC would be released.

Another game is The Quarry.
    One recent example of the arcanas' role in horror is The Quarry, a narrative adventure game at a summer camp with a dark history of werewolf encounters.

Throughout the game, you'll meet with the title's narrator, a psychic who resides in a dark room with a foreboding crow and a tarot deck. If you find tarot cards while exploring the campgrounds, the psychic can reveal possibilities that may occur in future chapters. Still, it will be up to you to avoid or steer toward these pivotal events.

Level 31
    @DracoTarot This is so interesting! I love Tarot cards because I find them pretty, but I do no understand the meaning entirely, thank you for explaining. I personaly like some peoples take on the art ot Tarot Cards, I recommend you check The Somnia Tarot, by Nicolas Bruno (a photographer and artist). To me the art on Tarot Cards is special somehow, hope im not weird😅