My Fascination with Tarot

Replies
    views
    Level 52
    I'm an avid collector of Tarot cards not only for divination purposes but also to enjoy the artistic nature of the decks. There are so many available with beautiful illustrations from many artists. Collecting these decks became a hobby and a comfort for me.

It all started when I told my family I had an interest in studying and collecting tarot, their first comment was, "How can a deck of cards possibly tell you anything about anything?" I laughed because I thought his reply summed up pretty well the common sense view of the cards. I, too, had my doubts about the tarot, but I found out that the cards can make a real difference in the way you perceive and deal with the challenges in your life. In this introduction, I'll try to explain why.

The origin of the tarot is a mystery. We do know for sure that the cards were used in Italy in the fifteenth century as a popular card game. Wealthy patrons commissioned beautiful decks, some of which have survived. The Visconti-Sforza, created in 1450 or shortly thereafter, is one of the earliest and most complete.

Later in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, the cards were discovered by a number of influential scholars of the occult. This gentleman was fascinated by the tarot and recognized that the images on the cards were more powerful than a simple game would suggest.

They revealed (or created!) the "true" history of the tarot by connecting the cards to Egyptian mysteries, Hermetic philosophy, the Kabbalah, alchemy, and other mystical systems.

These pursuits continued into the early part of the twentieth century when the tarot was incorporated into the practices of several secret societies, including the Order of the Golden Dawn.

Although the roots of the tarot are in the occult tradition, interest in the cards has expanded in the last few decades to include many different perspectives. New decks have been created that reflect these interests. There are Native American, herbal, dragon and Japanese decks, among others.

The tarot is most commonly viewed as a tool for divination. A traditional tarot reading involves a seeker - someone who is looking for answers to personal questions - and a
    reader - someone who knows how to interpret the cards.

After the seeker has shuffled and cut the deck, the reader lays out the chosen cards in a pattern called a spread. Each position in the spread has a meaning, and each card has a meaning as well. The reader combines these meanings to shed light on the seeker's question.

About The Tarot Card Meanings

The Tarot is a deck of 78 cards, each with its own imagery, symbolism and story.

The 22 Major Arcana cards represent life's karmic and spiritual lessons. They represent a path to spiritual self-awareness and depict the various stages we encounter as we search for greater meaning and understanding. In this way, the Major Arcana cards hold deeply meaningful lessons on a soul level.

The 56 Minor Arcana cards reflect the trials and tribulations that we experience on a daily basis. These Tarot cards highlight the more practical aspects of life and can refer to current issues that have a temporary or minor influence.

Within the Minor Arcana cards, there are 16 Tarot Court Cards each representing 16 different personality characteristics we may choose to express at any given time. There are also the 40 numbered cards organised into 4 Suits – Cups, Pentacles, Swords and Wands – each with 10 cards, representing various situations that we encounter day-to-day.

Here's an example of a monthly 3-card draw. These cards are from the Artists Inner Vision Deck.

The messages are as follows:

The Ace of Cups

Allow yourself to experience unconditional love when it presents itself. The joy you feel comes from this energy which is at the foundation of life. "The greatest thing you will ever learn is to love and be loved in return."

Name:  ace of cups.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  25.5 KB

King of Coins

You can be a person on the move, and at the same time, very stable and grounded. Take control of your kingdom as this energy represents that you are in charge. You are the boss, the father and the mother. Liked or not, you make things happen. He is competent and confident. You have the Midas touch.

Name:  coins.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  22.9 KB

Three of Cups

It's party time! Don't forget to rejoice and reward yourself for your accomplishments. Enjoy your friends and family when you get the chance. Life is not always about work.

Name:  three of cups.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  22.3 KB

Some may say that Tarot cards are simply inked on paper. However, what I have discovered from reading the Tarot cards are:

"Tarot is the storybook of our life, the mirror to our soul, and the key to our inner wisdom".

Do you collect something out of the ordinary? Feel free to share! 😊
    Last edited by DracoTarot; 16-11-22 at 16:26.
  • 44 Replies

Community Manager
    @DracoTarot I do not collect anything as out of the ordinary as Tarot, but I have a collection of dolphin figurines and plushes and postcards and such, everything and anything dolphin-related. Just because I like them. They are so cute.

Why does Ace of Cups have Japanese kanji on it (I think)? You mentioned that Japanese decks were created, but that one is odd, text is Japanese but the landscape is Venezia, I think. This is an interesting combo.
    Level 52
    @DoctorEldritch Sounds like you have an extensive collection. Even if it's not out of the ordinary you still have something you collect and hold dear. Dolphins are majestic creatures and they are associated with healing and love.

There are Tarot decks dedicated to Dolphins which hold magical properties.

Name:  download (1).jpg
Views: 119
Size:  9.3 KB

Name:  cups06_web.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  13.4 KB

These two cards are from an Oracle deck called Magical Mermaids and Dolphins.

The cards I've posted are from the Artist Inner vision Deck. Most of the cards were designed by different artists and I think the Ace of Cups was created by an artist of Venetian and Asian descent. Maybe explaining the text and landscape.
    Community Manager
    @DracoTarot Now I'll need to buy myself that Tarot deck to add it to the collection. I have a regular card deck there, but not a Tarot one. Although, I think the second card portrays whales, not dolphins,

Ah, the Venetian and Asian descent could explain it, though the design of the card is interesting as well, it is as if the cover is Venezia, but part of this is torn and Japanese kanji can be sort of seen underneath, as if the second layer of the card, I wonder if it is just a style decision of there is some symbolism of some sort in there. And if you look at the very bottom of the card, you see that it has more of that second layer, as if Venezia was painted on top of something else.
    Level 52
    @DoctorEldritch There are a few decks available that you can choose from. Sometimes they are hard to find and most of them are out of stock.

Ah yes, the second card is indeed Whales. I chose the wrong one to upload. Here's the original one.

Name:  20_dolphin-spirit.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  97.9 KB

I'm really not sure how to interpret the card. I would guess the artist had a good reason for designing the card that way. I also see the second layer. I'm going to try and find a more detailed card and info on the design. I'm also curious about the whole layout and design.

Here are two cards from the Fairytale Tarot.

Name:  fairytale.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  30.3 KB

Name:  fairytale 2.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  34.6 KB

Something you may find interesting. Cuteness all over. 😁 Just follow the

link. https://lunafactory.com/products/blissful-dolphin-tarot

Name:  dolphin tarot.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  30.8 KB
    Community Manager
    @DracoTarot That first dolphin is nice, though I do not get the quote. And Aww for the cute dolphin tarot at the end, it's like "My Little Tarot".

I like the Fairytale Tarot, and it helps to check the knowledge of folklore, too. Maybe we can make a game out of it and guess what fairytales those are if you have more of those.

Five of Pentacles is, of course, Goldilocks and the Three Bears, and I'll let someone else guess the Three of Pentacles, though that one is not too hard. @Saka, want to give it a go?
    Level 52
    This is so interesting! Thank you for shedding light on Tarots! I've actually been seeing a lot of live videos on TikTok where people ask questions and the Tarot reader gives them the answer live!

Is it possible for Tarot Cards to give a negative "response" to the "seeker"?
    My farewell mesage 🌟: in English - in Arabic
    Your new MEA Community Manager is @UnapologeticDino!
    Level 52
    @DoctorEldritch The Dolphin card I posted means accurately or without variation. If you draw this card from the Tarot deck it signifies being able to live in two worlds at once. "This" is the present and "That" is the future.

If you think something would happen in the present It may and if you think something will happen in the future it may depend on your actions. The Dolphin card teaches how to balance serious tasks with joyful play.

In short, if you were hoping for something nice or wonderful to happen it could happen today, tomorrow or whenever if you allow positive energy to set the wheel in motion.

Your intuition is spot on and your dreams are not pipe dreams.

Hope I'm clear in my explanation 😊

I have a lot of fairytale cards. I can post a few and make a game out of it.
    Community Manager
    The Dolphin card teaches how to balance serious tasks with joyful play.

Heh, this reminds me of a quote about dolphins by Douglas Adams from his "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy":

“For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.”

Your explanation was clear enough, and the meaning is quite fitting for dolphins, with two worlds at once maybe hinting at their sleeping mechanism.

Let's see those fairytale cards!
    Level 52
    @QueenTomato I'm glad you find my post interesting and you're welcome. Personally, I am not into live readings as such and believe when doing a Tarot reading a few steps need to be followed before any guidance is given to the seeker. Personally, the correct steps to follow would be to start with an effective question.

Then ask the seeker to pick a deck of cards and only then shuffle the cards with the question in mind. Before looking up the meanings, ask the seeker to decide what they think the outcome should be. Remind the seeker everything won't be positive and that they need to have an open mind when receiving guidance.

Usually, a seeker needs to be present when doing a reading. Some of the Tik Tok readers would shuffle cards and answer blind questions from messages coming through in live chat. There are readers who are able to connect directly with an answer "BUT" some questions were asked a million times over and some readers and I'm not saying all of them will give answers given before to other seekers.

For example one of the most common questions asked is: Will I find love in the next few weeks or months?

Before answering this question a lot of other questions need to be asked first. It's easy to just say yes or no your tarot card indicates......

Personally, it takes me up to two hours or more before I would have a decent response to a seeker. I also write long and informative readings of not less than 1000 words.

To answer your question @QueenTomato, Tarot cards always combine positive and negative responses. Most of the time a seeker will be disappointed and will not hear what they want to hear. 😊