Presenting the new Lenovo Legion 7 i9 by Intel - First Impressions, Features & Specs

Replies
    views
    Level 31
    Hi everyone!

I’ve had this unique chance to test out the brand-new legion flagship gaming laptop, Lenovo Legion 7 i9 by Intel. Right now, it is considered as the world’s most powerful 16” gaming laptop – and not without a reason, as it is both stylish and savage. Its amazing metallic, storm grey look combined with RGB-lights makes it great for a late-night gamer. I especially enjoy that you can modify every single button yourself. Whatever you wish to have WASD, for example, with one color, and rest of the buttons with something else - that is possible. I am personally using a blue colored keyboard as I’d enjoy having a similar, not-moving color - but this is purely everyone’s preference! Most important thing is that such a thing as the ability to freely choose colors exists.

Keyboard buttons in general have been very responsive and the touchpad is big enough to use it efficiently. Of course, a gamer needs a separate mouse, but at the start, even if you do not have one to spare, it is possible to play by using WASD and touchpad. I have not plugged any type of mouse yet with an USB, and have been playing several games, as well as been using both Photoshop 2023 and Premiere Pro 2023.

Laptop itself offers a chance to rotate it up to 180 degrees, which I have personally enjoyed, as it lets me find the best possible position to watch Netflix, for example, without hurting my neck. That sometimes tends to happen with laptops, you got to look down on the screen, but with the ability to rotate the screen as much as Legion 7 i9 offers, it is a much, much more ergonomic choice for any type of user. Good example was when I decided to lay down on my sofa, rotated the laptop screen 180 degrees and held it in my arms for a while. However, eventually I just sat down and kept my laptop on my feet. There I could just chill around, enjoying a great series with excellent sound quality.

So far, it has been such an amazing experience. It is completing my collection of other Legion devices as you can see in the photo below. I know right, once I got myself the first Legion product, I decided, why to change, when Legion products have been doing marvelous work.

Name:  IMG_20221118_111216.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  96.6 KB

Gaming happens with Intel - First Impressions

Lenovo Legion 7 i9 by Intel comes with Intel 12 th Generation i9-12900HX CPU, which delivers desktop-caliber gaming inside a laptop. To be honest, this is something for us gamers have been waiting for. i9-12900HX as a mobile processor easily beats (or does the best job) most of the high-end desktop CPUs on the market.

Alongside that there’s NVIDIA RTX 3080 Ti GPU, WQXGA display with 240Hz refresh rate, Nahimic surround sound audio which delivers you immersive 3D audio, auto-optimization mode, which lets you overclock your games for the maximum performance and Full HD Webcam with Noise Cancelling Software.

If playing with a laptop might not be your thing, you can easily plug it into a separate monitor as well (as I’m going to try out with DisplayPort cable as soon as I am getting myself a second monitor) in which case you’ll get use of the market’s best CPU and top-tier GPU on a bigger screen. I know many people who have decided to go with a gaming laptop due to this reason: it offers you flexibility - wherever you go, you’ll always be able to carry your games with you, but, while at home, you can just plug it into a monitor and enjoy. Same thing applies with a gaming keyboard and gaming mouse: use USB, and you’re ready to go!

I tested both CPU and GPU out by running several games on Ultra settings, including CPU heavy AAA-tier Red Dead Redemption 2 as well as both GPU and CPU heavy Cyberpunk 2077. Both ran fine without any type of issues with frame per second (FPS). I am also a World of Warcraft gamer, playing it more with this beast is going to be my next mission. Also, one of the coolest things I noticed was the quality of the sound: with the Nahimic Surround System (and I did not use headsets!) I was able to hear even birds singing, or wind flowing, in RDR2 from my laptop's own stereos. That was an exciting feature! Absolutely brilliant job, Lenovo and Intel!

I have written on a forum how important both lore and music in the games are for me, so you can just imagine my feeling when I noticed this. Lovely. While I tested WoW shortly, the music in Boralus was giving me chills. Could say it was even better than from my headsets I use for heavy gaming, Discord, raiding, general communication and so on. And that’s quite a lot to say from someone who plays a lot!

Name:  IMG_20221118_110714.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  89.0 KB

Tip! Legion 7 i9 has the world-most powerful mobile CPU: Intel i9-12900HX which can be overclocked up to 5.0 Ghz without issues. Lenovo Legion Coldfront thermal system makes sure your processor never overheats.

Specific tech specs:

Lenovo Legion 7 i9, Storm Grey

• 16.0” WQXGA 2560x1600 screen
    • 12th Generation Intel i9-12900HX up to 5.0 Ghz CPU
    • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 16GB
    • 32GB DDR5 RAM (2x 16GB)
    • 1TB PCIe SSD storage
    • RGB-lights by CORSAIR
    • Stereo speakers, 2W x2, Nahimic Audio, Harman Speakers, Smart AMP
    • HD1080p Resolution with Fixed Focus webcam, background noise cancellation

Name:  IMG_20221118_105657.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  85.4 KB

Legion 7 i9 - Coolest features

The coolest feature by far is the quality of sound, no doubt about that. People tend to use headsets, not just for communication, but for an ability to hear every single step happening around you: whatever its Counter-Strike, Overwatch or even an open-world game such as Red Dead Redemption 2, Nahimic Surround Sound System delivers itself. You can hear all of this from your laptop stereos perfectly without any issues.

Also, the possibility to overclock your GPU in a safe way by using Lenovo Vantage program is a great addition, as overclocking is something many gamers tend to do. Usually, an issue with overclocking is that it’s considered risky, as, if something happens, it’s completely the user's own fault. Legion 7 i9 gives you an option to turn on GPU overclocking from pre-installed Lenovo’s own application, and, if in any case GPU would become too warm, application automatically stops the overclocking to let your GPU’s heat lower down. Brilliant.

Name:  IMG_20221027_132643.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  85.4 KB

Last edited by DoctorEldritch; 25-11-22 at 16:40.
    Hey. o/ I'm Liue, gamer with epilepsy from Finland. I'm BBA, Business Information Technology student at Haaga-Helia University of Applied Sciences and been helping out Legion Gaming Community since the creation of this forum, March 2021. I was one of the first members whom joined and never looked back.

For me, accessibility is close to my heart. As world is connected, I wish to develop digital services in a way that more and more people would have a chance to use them on their daily basis, no matter of disabilities.
  • 7 Replies

Level 52
    What a beautiful collection of Legion! Which one is your fave?😍
    My farewell mesage 🌟: in English - in Arabic
    Your new MEA Community Manager is @UnapologeticDino!
    Level 31
    @QueenTomato Oh, obviously this beautiful piece of art brought to me by Lenovo and Intel Gaming. Perfect sound quality, no matter I'm playing, listening to music or watching a Netflix movie. Graphics are absolutely stunning while playing.

Plus, it's Storm Grey metallic cover just looks amazing.

Hey. o/ I'm Liue, gamer with epilepsy from Finland. I'm BBA, Business Information Technology student at Haaga-Helia University of Applied Sciences and been helping out Legion Gaming Community since the creation of this forum, March 2021. I was one of the first members whom joined and never looked back.

For me, accessibility is close to my heart. As world is connected, I wish to develop digital services in a way that more and more people would have a chance to use them on their daily basis, no matter of disabilities.
    Community Manager
    @Liue I am intrigued as to what games you played using a touchpad. The fact that you did is impressive in itself, as you said, I prefer a mouse for gaming, but it would be interesting to know what games you can play in a pickle when no mouse is around and a touchpad is all you got. What games did you test it on?
    Level 5
    Agree on sound being important, really impressive Legion setup you have there!!
    Head of Community
    This is awesome @Liue, thanks a lot for taking the time to write up your thoughts and impressions so thoroughly. Very informative as well 👍👍👍👍

You mentioned music in Boralus sounded great through the laptop - what about the music in the Dragon Isles? 😎

Plugging into a separate monitor sounds interesting too. Let us know if/when you've managed to try that and what your experience was! 😊
    Level 31
    @DoctorEldritch Actually on my video GTA V is being played and car driven with a touchpad btw.

Level 52
    Plugging into a separate monitor sounds interesting too. Let us know if/when you've managed to try that and what your experience was! 😊

Plugging a standalone monitor is actually easy, as the Legion laptops have quite a lot of ports (something that is unfortunately not so common in laptops nowadays). First option is the HDMI port, that's very simple as it doesn't need fancy cables. Then if you want more monitors, you can use a USB C-to-DisplayPort cable. You can get lots of screen space should you need it!
    Unamused Snarktooth. Advocate for hearing loss & accessibility. Person, friend and a terrible/terrific* artist.
    *delete as appropriate