Discussion : nVidia RTX 4080

Replies
    views
    Level 52
    Hello Legion members,
    Here is a thread for a little chill discussion about the nVidia RTX 4080 and its state in the current market.

As you probably know, the RTX 4080 was released on November 16, 2022 at the "sweet" MSRP price of €1.469 or $1.199 which we will round up to €1.470 and $1.200 to make things easier.

Currently, the RTX 4090s are displayed out of stock while the RTX 4080s are still in stock, according to some figures relayed by the media, 130.000 RTX 4090s would have been sold against only 30.000 RTX 4080s. As a reminder, the MSRP price of the RTX 4090 is around €1.949 ($1.950) or $1.599 ($1.600). It seems clear that the card is shunned by consumers, but why?

We can cite the obvious, there are players/consumers who want the best and for that they are ready to spend without counting either €480 or $400 more to have the top of the top of what is existing for the moment.
    For others, the announcement of AMD's RX 7900 XT and XTX acts as a brake, because AMD's most high-end card, the 7900 XTX, promises good performance at a more contained price of €1.389 (€1.390) or $999 ($1.000).
    We have the "skeptics" about the new 12+4 pins connector which tend to ignite/burn, with hindsight we know a little more, and it would be because of the bad connection, although this only happened in 50 cases on the 130.000 cards sold, it remains a risk for some.
    And finally, we have this (unexplained) price increase for the different ranges at nVidia and therefore the x80 range that interests us, as can be seen in the graph below

Credits : BitWit

We can see that there has been an increase of 40% in 8/10 years going from $500 to $700 between the 580 and the 2080 / 3080 while we have an increase of more than 70% (and more precisely by 71,43%) in just 2 years going from 700 $ to 1.200 $ between the 3080 and the 4080. Which would therefore give us 140% between the 580 and the 4080 which is completely insane.

In short, what do you think of this generation RTX 4000 (price as performance)? Is this increase justified in your opinion? Do you think there are other reasons why sales of the 4080 are so "bad"?
  • 9 Replies

Level 20
    good analytical effort @GoLLuM13
    RTX4000s are not a good value for price and performance I don't mean they perform poor but they are really overpriced
    nvidia are casting out their mid range gamers base for high end users and content creators
    Never too late to change
    Level 52
    Thank you @Thruster and to confirm what you're saying (even if it's still a rumor to this point) the coming RTX 4070(Ti) that will come in early 2023 (probably January) will supposedly be priced at 1.200 € we are talking about a mid-range card that will be more expensive than AMD's ultra-high end card
    Level 52
    Nvidia's pricing this generation is crazy. Right now there's no reason to get the latest gen (unless you have a bottomless wallet), it makes a lot more sense to get a high end previous gen on sale. AMD is a good option too, in most places 6700xt/6750xt are priced a lot better than 3070. Contrary to what people might say, the drivers are actually fine. I currently have a Nvidia card and it happens actually more often that Windows decides to brick them.
    Unamused Snarktooth. Advocate for hearing loss & accessibility. Person, friend and a terrible/terrific* artist.
    *delete as appropriate
    Level 52
    You're right @Saka If anyone wants a new GPU right now I'll tell him to wait the RX 7000 or go shop and pick in the RTX 3000 catalog.
    For using both (nVidia more I admit it) AMD drivers while they aren't anymore the catastrophe they used to be, they came a long way since they started (and the ATI era) they're totally usable now but still not on nVidia level even if the UI is prettier than nVidia's IMHO and according to my experience (someone else may experience the opposite)
    Level 52
    @GoLLuM13 Personal experience can differ a lot. I had a 5700xt, which my SO is using now, because I salvaged my desktop for parts (uh, complicated story). It was a disaster at launch, the Windows drivers would regularly crash the whole system. Funnily enough, on Linux the drivers worked just fine, but the support for the card itself was delayed because drivers didn't make their way to Mesa on time. So there were like two distros in total that would work on day 1. The black screens lasted until the winter after the summer release, and then there was a major driver update that changed the game. Haven't had any issues with that card since.
    Unamused Snarktooth. Advocate for hearing loss & accessibility. Person, friend and a terrible/terrific* artist.
    *delete as appropriate
    Level 27
    Seems like I will not be able to upgrade for the upcoming 3 years or so
    A strong man is Strongest alone
    Level 52
    @DoomGuy it depends on what you already have and what you're aiming for
    I'm pretty sure once the RTX 3000 stocks run out, RTX 4000 prices will drop at least a little because if you take a look at 3000 and 4000 prices you'll see that it forms a stack, this is nVidia will to make both generations coexist, but once there won't be any 3000 the gap between 4000 models will be too big, the solution would be a drop in price and/or the introduction of Super/Ti models, and let's not forget about AMD that is a good alternative especially with the new generation coming
    Level 27
    @GoLLuM13 AMD is my next choice for sure let's see if they can provide a competitive value for performance and price range
    A strong man is Strongest alone
    Level 52
    First price drop in Europe for the Founders Edition price (the cards made and sold by nVidia)
    RTX 4090 dropped from €1.949 to €1.859 (-90€ or 4.61%) and the RTX 4080 dropped from €1.469 to €1.399 (-70€ or 5%).
    And if we listen to the rumors, it's the first drop to adjust prices in relation to the euro/dollar cost and another one should occur around the release of the 7900 cards if the ratio price/performance is good.
    Tag me to be sure I see the answer and reply to you / Taguez moi pour être sûr que je vois la réponse et vous réponde en retour
    Most of my writings in no particular order (mostly in French) / La plupart de mes écrits sans ordre particulier
    >> HERE/ ICI <<