Are we getting USB 4.0 or not? Legion 7 Slim AMD - 16ARHA7

Replies
    views
    Level 2
    Well? Beta BIOS is out from ASUS for their AMD hardware to enable USB 4.0 on their Zephyrus G14. Is it coming, or am I buying a Zephyrus G14?

I personally feel like the Legion 7 Slim AMD Advantage edition would have been a home run except for the fact that the 2nd m.2 slot is absent... USB 4.0 support might be the only way to solve this huge downgrade over the Intel edition.

My thoughts anyway.
  • 4 Replies

Level 52
    Hello @orangetang and welcome among us,

Like you said, it's a Beta BIOS which means it is not in the stable branch, and if I had to use Asus words that we can find here

AMD models of year 2022 do not yet formally support USB4 features due to this feature still under developing.

or even

Question 3. When will the ROG laptops of year 2022 with AMD Ryzen 6000 series processors formally support USB4?
    Answer 3. Since this feature is still under developing, we will not formally support it before ensuring the best user experience is present.

and not to forget this paragraph Notice/Warning and known issues:

Notice/Warning:

• The USB4 features on AMD Ryzen 6000 series processors are not complete yet, and you may encounter Issues after enabling it. Follow the Rollback Guide to go back to the official BIOS and corresponding PD firmware, if issues you have encountered are affecting your daily user experience.
      Known Issues:
      It may cause compatibility issues with some Thunderbolt devices.
      Might not be able to enter Modern Standby when Thunderbolt device is connected.
    • The beta BIOS will NOT be maintained in conjunction with official BIOS version. To keep the best user experience, we still prefer you return to the official BIOS version.
    • Please must follow the instructions to install or return to the official BIOS and PD firmware, to prevent any unexpected issues.
    So, my advice is "Don't buy a product for a promised or an in development option, buy it for what it already has" if you need USB4 go for a laptop with Intel CPU and Thunderbolt 3 or even better Thunderbolt 4 compatible or wait for AMD Ryzen 7000 CPU based laptops
    Tag me to be sure I see the answer and reply to you / Taguez moi pour être sûr que je vois la réponse et vous réponde en retour
    Most of my writings in no particular order (mostly in French) / La plupart de mes écrits sans ordre particulier
    >> HERE/ ICI <<

Level 2
    I appreciate the response and welcome.

All of the notes you shared above are prior knowledge, however G14 users are reporting successful operation of some of their devices. In my case, the only benefit for USB 4 implementation would be transfer rate increase for mounting external NVME drive due to the neutering of the 2nd slot on the AMD model of S7.

Besides that, there is no want or need for formal TB3/4 or USB4 support on my end, nor a want for 12th gen Intel CPU. I currently operate an Intel/Nvidia Blade 15 2020, but would like to get back to a machine with less fan noise, more control over profiles, with a slight boost in performance which the AMD model would provide. I'm also intrigued by the possibility to run S7 on 170W or 135W adapter, as I pack this laptop internationally as a supplement to my business' laptop. Any additional weight savings are monumental gains for me.

If staying with Intel, I would likely be shipping back the unopened S7 I ordered a few weeks ago once I get back home to Canada and instead picking up another Aero model, IE Aero 5 XE4, which is priced the same, but with tandem m.2 support.

I can live with a soldered stick on memory, but would have trouble adapting to a single drive laptop. My current Blade Base was a purchase decision over the Advanced for the same reason. A compromise of storage vs performance and cooling...

There doesn't appear to be a lack of room for the drive bay, so i'm not sure what Lenovo was thinking when they removed it. Especially given the S7 in my region is shipping with the smaller battery, there is ALL KINDS OF ROOM for another drive if not directly on the board either.

Reminds me of Razer deleting the 2.5" mechanical bays and leaving that spot open for an entire generation while also maintaining the small battery and hanging a doglegged m.2 slot off the end of the bay opening...

Is it laziness or ran out of budget... A huge nerf to an otherwise huge WIN in this market segment.