Lenovo Legion T530-28APR Power Supply Unit

Replies
    views
    Level 31
    Hey,

A question: Why this PC, with NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 6GB GDDR6 GPU, AMD Ryzen 5 3600 CPU and 16GB RAM has only 350W PSU installed?

I have Lenovo Premium Care Support bought for 36 months. My Legion PC has crashed 3 times in 2 months during gaming with the critical error: KERNEL POWER. PC just crashed and then restarts itself. I googled it and seems like it is somehow connected for insufficient power?

I asked from Premium Care Support if they could replace my PSU with a bit more better one, ie. 500W I found with Lenovo Vantage =>, Oma takuuni/My warranty", but all they answered was'

Since crashing seems to be related to gaming, which does require a lot of power, we can't replace PSU on warranty as it is not actually a technical issue.

But still it is a gaming PC. Is there any way to get a bit stronger PSU for this tower (supported by Lenovo) which would not affect warranty and would work inside this tower. I have absolutely no clue how to replace PSU part either. To be honest, I was a bit disappointed on their answer in Premium Care Support.

I was thinking if there would be anything that could be done? And is there a way to get a mechanic from Lenovo to replace the possible PSU even if I would buy new part myself.
    Last edited by Liue; 17-03-21 at 23:49.
  • 9 Replies

• Verified Answer

Level 31
    Verified Answer
    Thanks to @Marion, Lenovo Finland Premium Care Support has agreed to change my 350W power supply into more powerful 500W power supply. Part has been ordered, and once it arrives, they will contact me about time to visit my apartment and change the part (On-site support warranty).

Big thanks for our community manager, for @AirBnBacon for offering help and whole Lenovo Finland!

You are Legions! 😎

Last edited by Liue; 28-03-21 at 19:43.
    Level 29
    Hey @Liue it does feel low for me as well, but I checked online on this site: https://outervision.com/b/fQB2UX and it does seem to recommand 350W as well. Maybe someone knows more about PSU but maybe the issue is coming from somewhere else?

Name:  Power-Supply-Calculator-PSU-Calculator-OuterVision (1).png
Views: 3262
Size:  40.2 KB

OuterVision PSU Calculator part list

Motherboard: Desktop
    CPU: 1 x AMD Ryzen 5 3600
    Memory: 2 x 8GB DDR4 Module
    Video Card: 1 x NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
    Computer Utilization: 16 hours per day
    Gaming/Video Editing/3D Rendering Time: 16 hours per day
    Monitor: 1 x LED 22 inches

Load Wattage: 300W
    Recommended Wattage: 350W
    Note: Standard keyboard, mouse, and 8 hours of computer utilization per day already included in calculations.
    Generated by OuterVision PSU Calculator 2021-03-18 12:10:26
    Last edited by Elixor; 18-03-21 at 16:11.
    Level 31
    Hi @Elixor

You might be right, but if that is the case, I am truly shocked!

I tried the website as well, fixed couple of things and got this:

OuterVision PSU Calculator part list

Motherboard: Desktop
    CPU: 1 x AMD Ryzen 5 3600
    CPU Speed: 3600MHz
    CPU Vcore: 1.1V
    CPU Utilization: 90%
    Memory: 1 x 16GB DDR4 Module
    Video Card Set 1: 1 x NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
    Core Clock: 1365MHz
    Memory Clock: 1750MHz
    Storage: 1 x SATA SSD
    Keyboard: 1 x Gaming Keyboard
    Mouse: 1 x Gaming Mouse
    Computer Utilization: 16 hours per day
    Gaming/Video Editing/3D Rendering Time: 16 hours per day
    Monitor: 1 x LED 27 inches

Load Wattage: 304W
    Recommended Wattage: 354W
    Amperage: +3.3V: 10.4A, +5V: 8.9A, +12V: 22.9A
    Recommended UPS Rating: 700VA
    Generated by OuterVision PSU Calculator 2021-03-18 04:18:46
    Level 29
    350W still feels so low in my head for a gaming PC, but I guess the AMD Ryzen and the RTX-2060 don't use that much power! I would be good if someone knows more in the community that could help us solving this mystery 🔎
    Level 31
    It definitely does. Most towers built by the users themselves do have, at least, 550W PSU, but usually as high as 700W to 800W. 350W is very low, and just thinking that if I do decide to add 16GB more RAM, for example. Can PSU "survive" anymore?

NVIDIA webpage states that recommended PSU for RTX 2060 would be 500W. ✔
    https://www.nvidia.com/fi-fi/geforce/graphics-cards/rtx-2060/

Level 29
    Something I do btw @Liue in some game is enabling the vsync to limit the FPS automatically to their maximum of the screen. This may make the graphic card not heating too much, which in turn may use less power.

But that doesn't resolve the real problem of having a PSU that feels too small. When new members join maybe they can share experience too. Might worth checking with Lenovo Legion again if this is not just a problem on your computer?
    Level 31
    Hi!

I usually disable Vertical Sync as it limits your FPS which is not optimal for hardcore gaming. But hopefully we will soon have more technical people!
    Level 12
    @Liue - as a comparison, my T530-28ICB comes with a 500w power supply
    Head of Community
    Amazing news @Liue and glad it all got resolved in the end for you! 😊 Thanks for coming back to let us know the outcome. 👍