What is your New Year's Resolution?

Replies
    views
    Community Manager
    Hello Legion Gamers!

Christmas is behind us (one of them, at least), and next in line is the New Year celebration! And with it, comes the annual ritual of, that's right, making New Year's Resolutions.

There are many ways to do those, some say them all out loud as the clock strikes midnight on the 31st of December, others write them on a piece of paper and put it on a fridge, and there are even those who burn that paper and mix ashes into a glass of champagne to drink at midnight (probably not a very healthy option).

But no matter how you make them, the essence remains the same: the point is to give yourself the promise to change an undesired trait or behaviour or accomplish a personal goal. While their efficiency remains debatable, they are still fun to do and help to reflect on what you want to change in your life. So now is a good time to make those!

And here is a pro tip: it is easier to achieve your resolutions if you make them in a form of small and measurable goals (for example, "lose half a kilo a week" rather than "lose weight").

I'll start with mine:

1. Swim for an hour each week
    2. Add more natural fiber to my diet
    3. Travel to a new but not far away place each month
    4. Play more games

I'd put more, but I am a realist, not an optimist.

What about you, any resolutions for 2023 to share?

Name:  DwBSBKYWkAAm01L.jpg
Views: 535
Size:  91.6 KB
    Last edited by DoctorEldritch; 29-12-22 at 22:43.
  • 42 Replies

Level 52
    Considering how my 2022 went, my latest morbid joke is that the only plans I can have are payment plans. Still, there's at least one thing I would like to achieve in 2023. I hope to pass the exam for ikkyu in kendo, it was once my dream before I had the long break. I've received some hints that I might actually be at that level.
    Unamused Snarktooth. Advocate for hearing loss & accessibility. Person, friend and a terrible/terrific* artist.
    *delete as appropriate
    Community Manager
    @Saka Well, resolutions are not strictly plans, they are more "wishful thinking" than that, I'd say, but passing a kendo exam sounds good.
    Level 10
    For a long time i didn't do new years resolutions as i always set my goals too high and too vague, but this year my mentality on them changed a bit, so i actually do have some for 2023! :D

• Practice Python at least 30 minutes a day (hopefully more)
    • Make a homecooked dinner at least 6 days a week
    • drink the recommended amount of water daily

Community Manager
    @thecorf How often do you make homecooked meals now? Just to get an idea of how high you set the bar. And by recommended, do you mean about 3.5 liters?
    Level 10
    @DoctorEldritch I have a big tendency to take the easy route and either order food for delivery or buy a microwaveable dinner, so now it's around 4 days a week on average, with some weeks maybe being less, the recommended water intake that i'm used to is around 2 liters here in Denmark so that's my goal. i drink too much soda or the like so i am hoping i can switch that to water 😊
    Level 52
    I actually miss ordering more food often, but the only food I can get delivered nowadays is pizza or kebab. Living too far away from the city center. 😞

As for wishful thinking, the problem is that I had quite realistic plans for 2022, and still everything got pretty much ruined. The exam though should be within my reach, provided my health doesn't decline any further.
    Unamused Snarktooth. Advocate for hearing loss & accessibility. Person, friend and a terrible/terrific* artist.
    *delete as appropriate
    Community Manager
    @thecorf I have a lifehack for you: I do not have a microwave, so forced to eat homemade food for the lack of other options. Maybe if you really want to reach that goal, you could dispose of your microwave and then you'll have no other option but a cooked meal. As for water, it seems the recommendations differ somewhat. But 2 liters is a good number to aim for.
    Level 52
    @DoctorEldritch The advice only half-works, I don't have a microwave, but there are plenty of premade dishes that don't require one. Even a lot of the microwave kits can be heated in the oven if you replace the packaging. 😂
    *delete as appropriate
    Level 10
    @DoctorEldritch that could be a way to make it easier but since i use my microwave for reheating leftovers and the like it's not really a possibility 😅 and since i have no oven mine is both a microwave and a convection oven, so for convection oven needs i need to keep it, but thanks for the tip :D