Kendo

Replies
    views
    Level 52
    I am not sure if I mentioned this already, but recently I got my first black belt. And of course, it feels underwhelming and I frequently feel like I have no idea what I am doing. 😂
    Unamused Snarktooth. Advocate for hearing loss & accessibility. Person, friend and a terrible/terrific* artist.
    *delete as appropriate
    Community Manager
    @Saka Congratulations! But what do you mean by "first", black is the highest rank, can you get it more than once?
    Level 52
    @DoctorEldritch There are degrees of the black belts too. It's just not a common knowledge to people who don't do martial arts.

So I got my first black belt degree, in a year I would be eligible to test for the second. In kendo, the highest attainable is 8, but it's already half-legendary because so few people are able to even test for it, and the pass rate is below 1%.
    Unamused Snarktooth. Advocate for hearing loss & accessibility. Person, friend and a terrible/terrific* artist.
    *delete as appropriate
    Community Manager
    @Saka Is it something visual? For example, if a blue or red belt holders come across a blackbelter, then everyone would easily understand who has more experience or is a better fighter (or at least passed the requisites to get that belt). But if a black belt holder of the, for example, the second degree would meet a black belt holder of the sixth degree, would they be able to tell from a glance who is a more experienced fighter?

And why is 8th-degree half-legendary, what makes testing for it so rare? Do you have to meet many complex criteria?