Laptop Upgrade Thoughts

Replies
    views
    Level 23
    HI!
    So I'm from South Africa and I'm currently on the way to a fullstack SAP developer future by next year. My current laptop is a Lenovo b50-70 with an i7 3rd gen, 4gb ram (used to be 8gb but the slot died last week), radeon 8500m integrated and a 1tb hikvision ssd.

For the South Africans reading, I'm looking at evetech because of the price difference compared to incredible connection and other places, for others you can look up the Lenovo IdeaPad Gaming 3 16IAH7 82SA00GPFU,
    (32gb ram, 512 SSD - getting an extra 1tb with it, i7 12th gen, rtx 3050 4gb) I would love to get something like the legion 5 or 7 but its way out of budget for me

I want to upgrade to this laptop: (YouTube video attached with the pictures and spec if you don't want to click the direct lite link - had to crop the video because of work bookmarks)
    https://www.evetech.co.za/lenovo-ideapad-gaming-3-16iah7-core-i7-rtx-3050-laptop-with-32gb-ram/laptops-for-sale/30549.aspx

to me, the pros of this laptop are:
    • screen refresh rate, size and quality
    • gpu > integrated to dedicated
    • cpu > 3rd gen to 12th gen
    • battery life > minutes to hours
    • and the white-lit keyboard helps with

cons:

• price
    • lack of ports
    • heat sync
    • camera is meh for this time period but an upgrade never the less
    • no fingerprint sensor or windows hello camera log in thing
    • keyboard is a bit small but I'm happy because of the number pad
    • apparently the laptop feels cheap?

I'm just on the fence on this one because all I'm finding are mixed reviews. The ASUS f17 is good because it has a similar price and i think more ports which I like, but there's also the dell g15 which is cheaper but has a ryzen 5 instead. I don't mind the rgb on the keyboards and stuff like that, I just like the plain white lights and lenovo brand more but if I get something like the tuf or g15 I wont really mind the colors.

my aim for new laptop is to get a 15.6+ inch screen but also something that will last me like 10 years how this the b50-70 is but not go crazy and spend over 25k (including extras kb & mouse, fan stand, etc.). I need something that can support the development and things I do which need the processing power without the fan going crazy and also be good for gaming for when I need to relax or one that doesnt have me worry about it running into random crashes and stuff like that like how my current one goes with a couple chrome tabs or my IDE open. the b50 has run its course and looked after me since the 8th grade (~2015) but it might be time to let go now.

I wont mind any other recommendations either !

Here's the YouTube video I uploaded for you guys to see what I am talking about:

*****update 11-jul
    I think i might go for the F17 because its the same price and I'm getting more ports and a bit more features (losing like 20fps but i wont mind for now) but that's only gonna be next year Feb probably . I'm gonna wait for black Friday and cyber Monday too to see if one of the legion laptops get a really good sale.
    ASUS TUF Gaming F17 - i7 12th gen, rtx 3050 4gb, 512gb ssd + 1tb extra ssd, 32gb ram, 17.3" 144hz screen

Last edited by Haffejeeeee; 11-07-23 at 06:56.
  • 7 Replies

Level 16
    Which laptop did you buy?
    Work Hard, Game Harder
    Level 23
    @MariamTarek I didn't end up getting one, some other expenses came up 😅, so I'm still using the b50-70
    Level 16
    I'm sure it's for the best 🎴
    Work Hard, Game Harder
    Level 23
    @MariamTarek Yea true, Hopefully black Friday has some good sales. What would you have chosen from the options?
    Level 52
    By the time Black Friday comes the models available might change. A few months ago the CMs here announced a new line of value-for-money laptops under the name of LOQ. Now these laptops became available in shops; they are meant to provide a decent 1080p gaming experience for people new to gaming or on a tighter budget. Might be more suitable than the IdeaPad line if it fits in your budget.
    Unamused Snarktooth. Advocate for hearing loss & accessibility. Person, friend and a terrible/terrific* artist.
    *delete as appropriate
    Level 16
    I hate to say it but I would have gone with the F17 🤭

@MariamTarek Yea true, Hopefully black Friday has some good sales. What would you have chosen from the options?
    Work Hard, Game Harder
    Level 23
    @Saka fair point, I haven't thought of it like that but it might be cheaper if a newer model comes out it might be cheaper, hopefully the FIFO stock control system is being used by whoever is selling the laptops.

- - - Updated - - -
    @MariamTarek My heart was set there because of the spec and extra ports but if I think I chose the Lenovo because of the price mainly. I saw the legion slim 7i recently and if it wasn't like R35k (zar) I would of opted for it