[CLOSED | EXCLUSIVE: Lenovo Product Team AMA] Answering all your burning questions about the Lenovo Legion Go

Replies
    views
    Head of Community
    The AMA is now closed for further questions; any questions asked after 7th September 2023 will not be answered by our Product expert Sergey, however you can still discuss the Lenovo Legion Go with other members here to share opinions, get advice and stay updated.

———

Hello all,

You might have seen the exciting announcement at IFA regarding our first handheld gaming device, the Lenovo Legion Go, and we are sure that you have lots of questions that you’re dying to ask!

It's time to welcome @sergey Balashov, who worked on the product design for the Lenovo Legion Go, back to the Legion Community…

Sergey has over a decade's worth of product design and product management experience; he is a powerhouse of knowledge and will be answering all your questions regarding product design, technical specifications, and capabilities for the Lenovo Legion Go!

When?
    Tuesday the 5th of September at 9 AM UTC to Thursday the 7th September at 3 PM UTC.

How to take part?
    Read up on the Lenovo Legion Go and geek out about all of the product’s cool features, then head back here and post your questions!

The Lenovo Legion Go
    Designed for gamers who will settle for nothing less than top-tier specs and visuals on their handheld device, the Lenovo Legion Go takes handheld gaming to a new level!

Check out the press release here!
    Check out the product page on Lenovo.com here!
    See what our community thinks here!

Top features:
    • Massive 8.8" QHD+ (2560 x 1600) Display powered by AMD Ryzen™ Z1 series processors and integrated AMD Radeon 700M Graphics.
    • Play the way that makes the most sense to you, on the Go (pun intended), from your sofa, or while you're commuting; it's all up to you!
    • Detachable controller options to enable you to engage with the Lenovo Legion Go your way.
    • Want to take your games with you? The Lenovo Legion Go is a fully-fledged Windows device that allows you to play all the games you love!
    • Lenovo Legion Glasses, augment your gaming experience with Augmented Reality, letting you experience your games on the “big screen” while remaining handheld!

———

We’re so excited to have this EXCLUSIVE opportunity to have a product expert AMA here in the community, and we can’t wait to hear your questions, so get posting!

-- The human embodiment of golden retriever energy.
  • 152 Replies

Level 6
    So we can start asking our questions here right now ?
    Thank you for that AMA that's great to be able to ask questions directly to the product team !

First, I have to say thank you for this amazing and innovative product.
    Great design with that single touchpad, detachable controllers and the very cool FPS mode.

Here are my questions :
    1) Does the screen has something like Gorilla Glass coating to prevent scratches ?
    2) Does the 8.8" screen support HDR and maybe even Dolby Vision ? (since that's the same panel than on Y700 2023 tablet)
    3) Since there's no VRR (because this native portrait panel don't support it I suppose) would it be possible to add more refresh rates options so that we can cap our FPS in game and prevent tearing ? At least 30Hz, 36Hz and 48Hz seems pretty easy to implement from 60/144

Thank you in advance for your answers ! :)
    Level 26
    The device is super cool🔥 if it is up to me I'd put my hands one it as soon as it get released🤩

The question is how did you came up with this unique and handy design?
    Level 33
    the Micro OLED glasses 8.8" QHD+ would be A+ visual experience
    do you plan it to be the first of a series, and would you make design changes if there would be new future versions due to community feedback?
    Last edited by NadaGalal; 04-09-23 at 11:39.
    Head of Community
    @Heropon

Absolutely, keep em coming!
    -- The human embodiment of golden retriever energy.
    Level 3
    I have 3 Major questions

1. When can we preorder this? I'm dying to preorder on Best buy
    2. What type of SSD is it using? 2242 or 2230? And will it be easy to replace for a bigger SSD?
    3. A lot of publications claim it will launch October 31st, is that true or just a placeholder date?
    Level 52
    First thing first, hello Sergey and welcome to the community.
    1. Will there be a dock (sold separately) to plug it to a TV or a monitor ? (maybe with the ability to plug a keyboard and a mouse).
    2. Will there be an accessory to turn both controller into a full size controller (like the grips on Nintendo Switch).
    3. Will it be possible to purchase the controllers separately ? And are they compatible with something else than the Lenovo Legio Go ? (let's say with a Lenovo Legion Pro 7i).
    4. I heard that the European market will have only the Z1 Extreme variants that will start from 799€ and not the Z1 (non-extreme) is it true or just a rumor ?
    5. Is there any other consideration than the final cost that made you choose an IPS panel instead of an OLED panel ?

Thank you and have a nice day.
    Tag me to be sure I see the answer and reply to you / Taguez moi pour être sûr que je vois la réponse et vous réponde en retour
    Most of my writings in no particular order (mostly in French) / La plupart de mes écrits sans ordre particulier
    >> HERE/ ICI <<

Level 6
    First, I have to say thank you for this amazing and innovative product.
    1) Does the screen has something like Gorilla Glass coating to prevent scratches ?
    2) Does the 8.8" screen support HDR and maybe even Dolby Vision ? (since that's the same panel than on Y700 2023 tablet)
    3) Since there's no VRR (because this native portrait panel don't support it I suppose) would it be possible to add more refresh rates options so that we can cap our FPS in game and prevent tearing ? At least 30Hz, 36Hz and 48Hz seems pretty easy to implement from 60/144
    The thanks goes to our amazing R&D guys!
    1) The screen has quite a durable glass, but I got no hardness specs (maybe if Jerry Rig Everything lays his hands on it we will know for sure?). We, however, plan to launch an ultrathin screen protector glass for Go.
    2) Technically the screen has 500 nits of brightness, so HDR400 should be possible, but we did not put any formal certifications such as HDR400 or DolbyVision.
    3) I'll talk to our R&D about implementing other screen switch rates, but what would you want to achieve by that? I mean, if it is the battery life you are after, in the overall power budget screen is not the most "hungry" one - that title goes to CPU/GPU.
    Of course changing from 144 to 60 will help extend battery life, and same for lowering brightness, but overall downshifting to 48/36 is not quite more effective than 60 for battery life.

The question is how did you came up with this unique and handy design?
    The name of the game was flexibility - targeting a wide range of possible game scenarios, hence mappable buttons/trackpad/FPS mode. Same idea extends to the detachable controls and kickstand - the device can be used as handheld, table-mounted, TV console, mini-PC, and so on.

the Micro OLED glasses 8.8" QHD+ would be A+ visual experience
    do you plan it to be the first of a series, and would you make design changes if there would be new future versions due to community feedback?
    Sorry, can not quote on unannounced products (whether they exist or not does not matter). What I can tell is that Legion Glasses is not coming from a Legion Go product team - it was done by a separate team, dedicated to AR/VR devices development ;)

1. When can we preorder this? I'm dying to preorder on Best buy
    2. What type of SSD is it using? 2242 or 2230? And will it be easy to replace for a bigger SSD?
    3. A lot of publications claim it will launch October 31st, is that true or just a placeholder date?
    1. There is no embargo on preorders, so any time that the partner will see it fit. Apologies, I only handle EMEA region, so I do not know the specifics about BestBuy.
    2. It's 2242, which is already quite a popular format, and will be even more popular next year. It is also quite easy to upgrade - the back lid opens easier than on laptops, and the SSD basically stares at you from there.
    3. 31st of Oct is a correct onshelf date, yes. We try our best to supply the product everywhere we can by that date.

- - - Updated - - -

1. Will there be a dock (sold separately) to plug it to a TV or a monitor ? (maybe with the ability to plug a keyboard and a mouse).
    2. Will there be an accessory to turn both controller into a full size controller (like the grips on Nintendo Switch).
    3. Will it be possible to purchase the controllers separately ? And are they compatible with something else than the Lenovo Legio Go ? (let's say with a Lenovo Legion Pro 7i).
    4. I heard that the European market will have only the Z1 Extreme variants that will start from 799€ and not the Z1 (non-extreme) is it true or just a rumor ?
    5. Is there any other consideration than the final cost that made you choose an IPS panel instead of an OLED panel ?

Thank you and have a nice day.
    1. The dock is in the works, as among the usecases we also target the "TV console" and "PC Battlestation" usage modes, where you attach everything you have (Screens/KB/Mouse/whatever) to the Legion Go.
    2. That one is in the discussion, but can not verify. But I can tell that based on the reviews I got, the handles are quite big and ergonomic, so they are quite comfortable to use separately "as is".
    3. We have the separate controllers sold separately in discussion (do you sell one? do you sell both? this type of questions). They use proprietary Bluetooth protocol/channel from what I know, so would most likely not possible to use with some other device. But one of the usecases we have in mind is not just playing games ON Legion Go, but Streaming from your home PC/Laptop, enjoying your full graphics and power from the DT/NB, while also lying down or sitting comfortable wherever you like (the inputs are done on Go, the processing is done on DT/NB, the image streamed to Go).
    4. For starters we chose Z1 Extreme one, but we reserve the ability to go for Z1 later, if we feel there is a demand. Given that Z1 has much lower GPU capabilities vs Z1E, it could not be our primary goal.
    5. That's a good question. Ultimately there are pro-s and con-s on both sides, but using OLED would mean lower battery life, higher cost (especially if we are talking high-refresh rate), possible PWM sensitivity question, and a dozen of not so obvious downsides. Let's just simplify and say that while OLED is successfully penetrating the phones and starts gaining momentum in laptops, it is not quite the best balance of specs vs price there is in this exact size and form-factor.
    Level 6
    The thanks goes to our amazing R&D guys!
    1) The screen has quite a durable glass, but I got no hardness specs (maybe if Jerry Rig Everything lays his hands on it we will know for sure?). We, however, plan to launch an ultrathin screen protector glass for Go.
    2) Technically the screen has 500 nits of brightness, so HDR400 should be possible, but we did not put any formal certifications such as HDR400 or DolbyVision.
    3) I'll talk to our R&D about implementing other screen switch rates, but what would you want to achieve by that? I mean, if it is the battery life you are after, in the overall power budget screen is not the most "hungry" one - that title goes to CPU/GPU.
    Of course changing from 144 to 60 will help extend battery life, and same for lowering brightness, but overall downshifting to 48/36 is not quite more effective than 60 for battery life.

1) Gorilla Glass (Victus) would've been a big plus for me, I personally hate using screen protectors

2) Nits isn't the only requirement for HDR. A HDR certification would've been a good selling point !

3) The idea is to cap FPS to play at a stable framerate.
    I suppose that it could be "FPS limiter" options otherwise that we could combine with setting the refresh rate to 60Hz ?
    Last edited by Heropon; 04-09-23 at 18:43.
    Level 4
    Does the legion go have fingerprint power button ( like the rog ally to log in into window s )?

Does replacing the SSD affect the warranty of the legion go ?

Do you plan to have accessories like an attachment keyboard and a switch style controllers holder ( to make controllers like a standalone gamepad ) ?
    Last edited by Redlion; 05-09-23 at 10:59.