[CLOSED | EXCLUSIVE: Lenovo Product Team AMA] Want to know more about the Lenovo Legion 9i? Ask the product team!

Replies
    views
    Head of Community
    The AMA is now closed for further questions; any questions asked after 7th September 2023 will not be answered by our Product expert Sergey, however you can still discuss the Lenovo Legion 9i with other members here to share opinions, get advice and stay updated.

———

Hey everyone,

Experience gaming laptops the way they were meant to be! We recently unveiled the Lenovo Legion 9i, and we’re sure you’re bound to have some questions! How fast is it? How bright is the display? Well, we endeavour to answer those questions, right here!

Name:  04_Legion_9i_Liquid_Cooling_Pump-1280x1280.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  58.0 KB

It's time to welcome @sergey Balashov, our insider from the product team who worked on the product design for Lenovo Legion 9i, back to the Legion Community…

Sergey has over a decade's worth of product design and product management experience; he is a powerhouse of knowledge and will be answering all your questions regarding product design, technical specifications, and capabilities for the Lenovo Legion 9i!

When?
    Tuesday the 5th of September at 9 AM UTC to Thursday the 7th September at 3 PM UTC.

How to take part?
    Read up on the Lenovo Legion 9i, get to know all of the product’s cool features, then head back here and post your questions!

———

The Lenovo Legion 9i

Powered by the revolutionary LA-2Q AI chip and cooled by Legion ColdFront 5.0, the best-in-class thermal technology 9i leverages the system components in a way that allows you to get more out of your Lenovo Legion experience than ever before, whether you are playing, making or streaming games.

Check out the press release here! [link to press release]
    Check out the product page on Lenovo.com here! [link to prod page]
    See what our community thinks here! [link to 9i announcement post]

Top features:

• Improved fan system keeps everything running silently and smoothly,
    • Sustainable design forged from recycled aluminium and magnesium, cast in a fittingly styled Onyx Grey. It not only looks stunning, but it's also lighter and more durable than ever before.
    • Hardware to die for, a 13th Gen Intel Core Processor combined with Nvidia(R) 40 series GPUs.

———

We’re so excited to have this EXCLUSIVE opportunity to have a product expert AMA here in the community, and we can’t wait to hear your questions, so get posting!
    -- The human embodiment of golden retriever energy.
  • 5 Replies

Level 52
    I would be interested in learning more about the liquid cooling system. I imagine there must have been some challenges due to the size constraints in the laptop chassis.
    Unamused Snarktooth. Advocate for hearing loss & accessibility. Person, friend and a terrible/terrific* artist.
    *delete as appropriate
    Level 26
    Sergey, we are starting to see the appearance of AI in laptops, mobiles, etc. and the improvements they bring. Do you think that the presence of these chips will become something that users will value as they look at the processor, GPU or RAM when buying equipment? Will it become a differentiating element?
    Head of Community
    @Ecco1983 ooh that's a good question!
    -- The human embodiment of golden retriever energy.
    Community Manager
    More questions from the Spanish community:

https://gaming.lenovo.com/emea/threa...l=1#post156188

by @eljjota

"Is the cooling system totally hermetic or would it require some maintenance from time to time?"

Thanks! 🙌
    Last edited by CandelaSynth; 05-09-23 at 13:36.
    Level 6
    I would be interested in learning more about the liquid cooling system. I imagine there must have been some challenges due to the size constraints in the laptop chassis.
    The liquid contour is our pride. It was specifically made with laptops in mind, so it differs from DT a lot.
    TLDR: the liquid contour collects the heat from the componetns around the GPU chip and transfers this heat to the heatpipe, so that GPU chip is not heated by those components.

Long version:

The liquid system in desktops takes a lot of space and serves one major purpose - to displace the heat from one place to another, where it can be dissipated (radiators with coolers). One could say, it is decreasing the heating density, dividing the amount of heat between the chip and the radiators, using liquid as transfer medium.
    The liquid system in Legion 9i ultimately serves the same purpose - itdecreases the heating density, using the liquid as transfer medium. However, the difference is that DT AIO systems primary target is to cool the chip itself, while the Legion 9i liquid system is designed to lower heating density of the whole videocard area, instead of the chip directly, but in the end it serves the same target - making the chip cooler and giving it ability to utilize some extra heat dissipation budget.

I will use following analogy to explain - let's assume that every watt of heat is a person that needs to get out of hot area (say, house without air conditioning). It originates at the house (chip) and then it needs to go to cool somewhere - say, a pool (radiators) or at least go get some fresh air (direct air cooling the surface).
    So, you have multiple homes, a residential area, where people live (GPU chip, VRAM, VRM), and all of them want to cool off. Some heat is removed directly (through motherboard that is basically copper layers), but the majority goes to the heatpipes, that acts like a metro/train/subway, delivering passengers really fast and in numbers to the pool (radiators).
    Now, people (heated watts) still need to get to the metro somehow, and for the most effeciency the main houses (chips) are situated right below the metro (heatpipes), so the transfer is immediate and really effective. However, there are other houses (VRAM, VRM) that also need the transfer, and the only way they have is to walk - the heat transfer through copper heatspreaders is definitely not too fast, compared to the heatpipes.
    What happens is that your CPU/GPU chips generate a lot of heat, and this heat is transferred to radiators really fast, as it goes to heatpipes directly. But everything else around CPU/GPU that generates heat needs to "walk" through heatspreaders, basically "boarding the train station" of heatpipe along with all the heat from CPU/GPU - there is no other way for the heat to go around, nowehere to go. This means, that all chips around CPU/GPU heat the area and use the same heatpipes, and transfer heat to heatpipes basically at the same area where the heatpipes already contact CPU/GPU , making the "train station" rather crowded.
    What our Legion 9i liquid contour does is basically launches a residential area bus line, that collects all the residents from distant homes and dlievers them to different points on the metro line, eliminating the extra heat crowd at the main point of entry (GPU chip). As result, the heat transfer at the GPU point itself is left only for GPU, giving extra space to rise thermal limit. That is why liquid cooling pump only turns on when the GPU temp is reaching 84C - it safeguards the GPU chip from overheating by reducing thermal load by removing extra heat from surrounding components. Simple heatpipe could not do that due to the "dry wick" effect that comes at a high thermal load, so liquid medium here is more effective than heatpipe.
    This trick would not work though, if we would not improve the main line, so we made our central heatpipe a really thick one , making it a "thermal highway", that has long cross-section to both effectively lift heat from chips, and from the liquid contour heatpipe, through big area of contact.
    And as a final touch, we have extended the radiators in the rear and on the sides to dissipate more heat, and added one extra LCP-cooler compared to regular setup, so all that heat that comes through "thermal highway" is dissipated effectively.

- - - Updated - - -

Sergey, we are starting to see the appearance of AI in laptops, mobiles, etc. and the improvements they bring. Do you think that the presence of these chips will become something that users will value as they look at the processor, GPU or RAM when buying equipment? Will it become a differentiating element?
    Absolutely. We already see AI used in many things - on top of usual image/text/audio generation tasks that everyone is hyped about, AI also performs smaller but mundane tasks - like a power-optimized audio denoising and power-optimized background-blurring on video calls.

On top of already wideknown AI-capable chips, we use our own - with Legion 9i we release the third generation of our AI-chip in Legion laptops, and we gradually add features. First it was software whitelist that applied the power profiles dynamically to a list of certain games and could manage power profiles more effeciently (LA1 and LA2-Q combination), and now we not only introudce the new chip (LA2, not to be confused with LA2-Q) that works beyond the whitelist , but also offloads the CPU by managing RGB sync tasks (such as sync RGB with audio or even video) and is also able to deliver longer battery life.

In the future we will expand those AI-chips capabilities, and we also think that OS and Software developers will offer wider usage scenarios for other AI-capable chips.

- - - Updated - - -

"Is the cooling system totally hermetic or would it require some maintenance from time to time?"

Thanks! 🙌

It is hermetically sealed closed loop, so it does not require maintenance for the whole lifespan.
    Last edited by SergeyBalashov; 06-09-23 at 16:53.