Dishes A-Z

Replies
    views
    Level 33
    Bon appétit 🍽️
    Yes, she's right, I've almost never met anyone who doesn't like stuffing in my life😅
    It's almost the strangest thing I've ever heard in my life, but that's okay
    I don't like bechamel pasta😅😅, so I understand you, but stuffed grape leaves are something else
    They're the best food for many people 😂😂😂😂
    especially stuffed grape leaves.
    I suppose in the end, the whole of life becomes an act of letting go, but what always hurts the most is not taking a moment to say goodbye.
    Level 32
    Oreo cheesecake would be the most delicious and the most popular I guess 🤔

the best ❤️
    Level 52
    @DoctorEldritch I agree with you that Oreos aren't very special. There's a Finnish brand of similar cookies, Domino, and those taste better in my opinion. They just don't get as fancy seasonal flavours.

But about the dish for the day, I just had some eggs for late supper and this reminded me of one of my breakfast dishes: the omelette. It's a nice way to get some protein in the belly without too much effort.

Name:  Basic-omelette.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  101.1 KB

When I feel like having something fancy, I make (or moan to my spouse to make one) an omelette soufflée. The puffiness comes from whipping the whites until they stand on their own and you could basically cut them, and only then adding the yolk and flour. Need to add the flour slowly too, to avoid sinking incidents. This one I usually eat sweet, with some jam. Apple or berry jams work really nicely with it.

Name:  omelette.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  87.1 KB
    Unamused Snarktooth. Advocate for hearing loss & accessibility. Person, friend and a terrible/terrific* artist.
    *delete as appropriate
    Level 31
    So, today's time for letter P. I could choose so many different things, as there's so many Finnish foods starting with this letter.

After few thoughts, I chose porkkanalaatikko. You could translate it as carrot casserole or carrot box. Why? Because it's once again quite unique dish, usually eaten in Finland during Christmas time. It's very traditional food and one of my favorite Christmas dishes. That does not mean you would be able to eat it outside of Christmas time too tho, as it's actually very delicious.

What you need for it are carrots and porridge rice. Alongside that you need some whipped food cream, milk and syrup.

Hey. o/ I'm Liue, gamer with epilepsy from Finland. I'm BBA, Business Information Technology student at Haaga-Helia University of Applied Sciences and been helping out Legion Gaming Community since the creation of this forum, March 2021. I was one of the first members whom joined and never looked back.

For me, accessibility is close to my heart. As world is connected, I wish to develop digital services in a way that more and more people would have a chance to use them on their daily basis, no matter of disabilities.
    Level 31
    @Liue
    it looks delicious as it gives a shape of eastern dessert type that I 'm really in love with
    Level 33
    since it's P day I love all pasta diffrent types there's a very popular dish in Egypt called péchamel-not sure if it's P or b- pasta also called pastítsio
    it's one of my very favorites
    consists of layers of boiled pasta and Minced meat and the ingredient which make it special péchamel sauce 🤩
    Name:  201712010637463746.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  18.7 KB
    I suppose in the end, the whole of life becomes an act of letting go, but what always hurts the most is not taking a moment to say goodbye.
    Community Manager
    @Liue That looks nice, is it sweet like dessert (I would think so given the ingredients) or more savoury like the carrot casserole variety?

For my part, I will go with a simple Pretzel:

Name:  Homemade-Soft-Pretzels_resized.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  100.6 KB

All the way from Germany, one of the most famous dough snacks. It may not be one of the more complex or curious foods, but it makes up for it with a long history: it's been around since the end of the Middle Ages. Nowadays in addition to being eaten on its own, it is also used as the bread basis for sandwiches, same as bagle. Like this:

Name:  Bacon-Pretzel-Grilled-Cheese-2.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  42.8 KB
    Level 31
    @DoctorEldritch It's pretty sweet, but still a very filling meal. Give it a try if you got a chance.

1) Peel and chop the carrots. Boil them in water until fully cooked. Pour off most of the cooking broth (leave about one dl) and puree the carrots. Let it cool.

2)
    Measure the porridge rice and water into the pot. Let it boil until the water is absorbed into the rice. Add milk and cook, stirring occasionally, until the porridge is ready (approx. 40 min). Let it cool.

3)
    Mix the carrot puree and rice porridge together. Mix in the eggs, syrup, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Check the taste. Transfer the carrot box to a greased baking dish. Sprinkle breadcrumbs on the surface and press patterns on the surface with a spoon. Bake in a 175 degree celsius oven for about an hour.
    Hey. o/ I'm Liue, gamer with epilepsy from Finland. I'm BBA, Business Information Technology student at Haaga-Helia University of Applied Sciences and been helping out Legion Gaming Community since the creation of this forum, March 2021. I was one of the first members whom joined and never looked back.

For me, accessibility is close to my heart. As world is connected, I wish to develop digital services in a way that more and more people would have a chance to use them on their daily basis, no matter of disabilities.
    Level 52
    I will add one last hurray of the letter P. Pancakes!

In Poland, pancakes are associated with flat pastry, slightly similar to crêpes, but more meaty. They can be served both with sweet and savoury stuffing. I sometimes make them, and because I am lazy, I eat them with quark or jam. I had a glance at English pancakes and they seem to be exactly the same stuff.

Name:  foolproof-traditional-pancake-recipe-435607-10_preview-5b0ee3358023b90036179861.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  89.6 KB

And now I will introduce you to what Finns call a pancake. They put the batter made of milk, butter, flour, eggs and sugar on a tray. Ah, pardon, my spouse is telling me I forgot about the mandatory salt. Those people seriously add salt to everything. Probably even their morning coffee. Then the tray is placed in the oven and baked. The resulting pastry is sliced into squares before serving. Usually it's eaten with jam, sometimes it's whipped cream with some fresh berries.

Name:  78cc2fbd31368c85214d75abf0960af8.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  39.1 KB
    Unamused Snarktooth. Advocate for hearing loss & accessibility. Person, friend and a terrible/terrific* artist.
    *delete as appropriate
    Community Manager
    @Saka I wonder if you can really call Finnish version pancakes at this point, feels like they should be called something else, given the process is quite different from, well... I want to say "Polish-style pancake"? @Liue what say you?

For today's letter Q then, check out the pancake version from the Middle East called Qayatef:

Name:  qatayef-1.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  78.7 KB

They look more like little dumplings and are stuffed with nuts and dipped in syrup or honey to soak it in and enrich the flavour. So not sure if you can call them pancakes either, luckily, they have their own special name. And seem like an awesome way to start the day, too!