Lenovo LOQ 15 review!

Replies
    views
    Level 52
    @DoctorEldritch I never posted, but I do have an update on the drive situation.

The random stutter, unresponsive system and slow boots were indeed caused by the drive. We suspect it's because it was DRAM-less, that kind of drive is not ideal for a main drive. In a nutshell it doesn't have the ability of storing references to commonly accessed files and thus can't take shortcuts to them.

We replaced it with an old drive of ours, a gen3 one from 2019 and despite same speeds on paper, the laptop is much more responsive, boots quicker and everything runs smoother on it.

As I wrote earlier, the LOQ came with an engineering sample installed. I have no idea what are the specs of the drive the retail units are sold with.

Another interesting problem we ran into seems to be the LOQ's apparent hatred towards Finnish summers.
    Unamused Snarktooth. Advocate for hearing loss & accessibility. Person, friend and a terrible/terrific* artist.
    *delete as appropriate
    Community Manager
    @Saka Thank you for the update! It is good to know that you managed to sort out the drive. But what is wrong with Finnish summer? 😅
    Level 52
    @DoctorEldritch It's hot and humid, the laptop doesn't like that and the fans go into crazy overdrive. Had to modify a lot from the default settings to stop this little helicopter.
    Unamused Snarktooth. Advocate for hearing loss & accessibility. Person, friend and a terrible/terrific* artist.
    *delete as appropriate
    Community Manager
    @Saka Ah, that could do it. I try to alleviate that by placing my laptop on a laptop stand like this:

Name:  download.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  5.6 KB

It makes air circulation easier, and if it gets too warm, I turn on the fans in the stand itself, too. Plus, it helps to keep the laptop screen at a good angle.
    Level 52
    @DoctorEldritch We already have a stand for the laptop and the described behaviour occurs with the fans on the stand running as well.

We suspect the device was tested with ambient temperature around 18-20 celsius degrees, and right now our ambient is 26 without any way to get it down. It was even worse before the rain.
    *delete as appropriate
    Community Manager
    @Saka Oh my. Well, another advice I could give is to have an AC installed. At one point when I was working in Myanmar it was either remarkably warm or remarkably humid there all the time, but most rooms there have AC and laptops work fine in the environment they create. Though I understand it is by no means a cheap or convenient option, I am just sharing what experience I had.

Maybe a plant that reduces humidity in a room may help? Right now is a great time for lilac.

Name:  How-to-Grow-Lilacs-in-Containers-Feature.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  99.2 KB