Who here plays in VR !? (Meta Quest, Steam VR, Pico, PS VR2, HTC Vive, ...)

Replies
    views
    Level 52
    Hello everyone!

A few months ago, a friend of mine called to tell me that since he had his META QUEST 3, he could lend me his QUEST 2.

I told him I wasn't really interested, as I didn't have much time for it.

Two weeks ago, he tries again, saying, "Let's grab a bite to eat, I've got the Quest 2 in the boot, so you can try it out".

Gooooo !!! To please him, I take it home, knowing full well that I'll be drunk after 10 minutes. I turn it on, put it on my head ... I sigh, telling myself I've got more important things to do ... and ...

"Whaaoooooooo" This slap!!!
    Just the menu in front of my eyes is impressive. I get a call from my buddy in the headset in real time, a whole virtual lounge lights up around me and my friend virtually joins me in it.

It's both insanely realistic and artistically cartoony and zen-like.

I switch back to camera view by double-tapping on the right of the headset (a mixed-reality view that shows you your real living room while keeping the main menu) I draw a "guardian" on the floor, a boundary I can't cross to avoid banging into furniture or walls (the idea is brilliant, so I can walk around my home without seeing anything and in complete safety)

We're trying out other virtual living rooms, and it's amazing. Then the cinema: the headset reads all types of 2D, 3D and SBS video files, as well as youtube, netflix etc... Cinema environments range from movie theaters to open-air cinemas and the International Space Station. A large movie screen appears in front of us, displaying video movies/series...

You can eat popcorn and drink virtually, or even move around the theater. The app is capable of fetching all the films on my PC and launching a live film session with a host of friends who can be seen virtually in the theater.

But for the SBS files it's still a huge slap in the face!!!! We're IN THE FILM! When an actor approaches, you want to push yourself out of the way to let him pass. It's a pity that it's mainly used in adult films, but there are also documentaries and Youtube videos.

I was wondering if we could also work with the VR headset? And yes, there's a stream of PC screens, again, in the environment of our choice. And you can move windows around like 3d objects.

Hardly any LAG, the only problem is that I have trouble typing on the keyboard without seeing it. But apparently, with QUEST 3 (which I haven't tried yet) you can see the keyboard and mouse in mixed reality on a small part of the image.

And the games!? Yes, because that's what I wanted to talk about in the first place.

I've tried a dozen, but there are plenty out there. Games designed for VR, but also adaptations of big games like Resident Evil, Half Life Alix, FarCry, Horizon Zero Down, Starwars... Or old games updated for VR like Myst.

I haven't tried any AAA yet. But a few indie games are pretty impressive:

Like an arcade-style shooting game to play solo or as a duo.
    Sport VR

An exceptional board game: DEMEO

Most games can be played online with friends or random people. I've got a total of 3 friends with headsets, and we've spent an afternoon together playing a nice game of miniature golf. We're not sitting around, which is what I like. And in the game there are games. In other words, in addition to minigolf, there are missions, riddles, hidden balls: it's really complete and immersive.

In short, the catalog and possibilities are vast.

3 things still to be tested for me:

- AAA games (StarWars, Resident Evil, ...)
    - Steam VR catalog (META QUEST 2 is Steam compatible, unlike SONY PSVR)
    - And best of all: Someone has just released software to make all UNREAL ENGINE games VR-compatible. Conan Exiles for example 😍

There's also VAPORX, which makes an impressive list of VR-compatible games. It costs 34 euros, but apparently it's really good. I'm interested in it for GTA5

Conclusion: I thought it was just another gadget, that I'd get bored after 10 minutes ... That same evening I was on EBAY looking for second-hand ads near my home 😍
  • 10 Replies

Level 52
    I've tried the VR once in Insomnia Egypt gaming festival and I think I'll never try it again, I've found some physical difficulties including my body correlation motion or my eyesight pointing moreover I got dizzy and sweat a lot😅 so it's not for me I believe
    👁️ A W A K E N 👁️
    Level 52
    @M2lobaz Maybe it's a question of the material. I've already tried it with low-end equipment, and it makes me nauseous. Here, with a 200 euro Quest2, it's perfect.
    Level 52
    @ramax
    I do wish if that was the problem so it's fixable
    👁️ A W A K E N 👁️
    Community Manager
    I think I can echo @M2lobaz 's experience as well. I've tried a couple of time and I end up getting dizzy and get motion sickness?
    Level 52
    @UnapologeticDino For the first few days, you should only play games that you can't move. Or those where you can physically move.

Stomach ache happens when you see a set moving and you stay still.
    Level 52
    @UnapologeticDino
    A reminder for us to stay old fashioned😅
    👁️ A W A K E N 👁️
    Level 43
    @M2lobaz did u go to insomnia egypt 23 /24 ???? cause i did in both
    Level 52
    @AmrAli1
    Yep 23, second day
    👁️ A W A K E N 👁️
    Level 2
    Wow, that sounds like an amazing experience with the Nulls Brawl game! The immersion of VR can be surprising, especially with friends. It's great you gave it a try and enjoyed it.