Check out Frostpunk 2 interview!

Replies
    views
    Community Manager
    Hello Legion Gamers!

Less than a month left now till Frostpunk 2 makes it to the release! And to fire up our expectations, check out the interview with Jakub Stokalski from Warsaw:

Who is waiting for this game? Maybe @TrendaTen will support the home team? 😉
  • 12 Replies

Level 52
    I have the first part in my library. But I haven't played it yet. What about the second one will be? We'll see.
    Name:  Przechwytywanie.JPG
Views: 38
Size:  6.7 KB

Did you know that there is also a board game called Frostpunk?
    Name:  Przechwytywanie2.jpg
Size:  95.8 KB
    [Kliknij aby dodać podpis]
    Community Manager
    @TrendaTen I did not know that, but I am not surprised, it was a well-thought-through game. Looks very nice, though I hope that they have some accessories for the Generator, in the game it changed how it looked a bit depending on whether you chose to go down Faith or Order routes:

Name:  citizens-the-time-to-decide-has-come-which-path-shall-it-be-v0-mj5y3bhk9w2a1-ezgif.com-webp-to-j.jpg
Size:  94.3 KB

Would I be right to guess that this is one of those cases where video game came out first and then board games were based on that (as opposed to how it more often started with a board game)?
    Level 52
    Yes, this is one of the few video games that got board games. (cyberpunk had a board first then video and now they are working on a board again). Of such games it is still Heroes III. Because that's basically how The Witcher, Harry Potter and Dune started with books.
    Community Manager
    @TrendaTen On one hand, I like it and find it exciting when game developers take tabletops or books and turn them into games, it is nice to see the lore and characters come to life there. But on the other hand, there is a danger of just taking from the world and not adding anything original, since the vast majority of worldbuilding is done for you already.

Witcher and Cyberpunk are good examples of carefully working with source material, but then there are Marvel's Avengers: despite rich comic lore, it was, well, average. Not to mention the whole Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League thing. At least that game is aptly named...
    Level 52
    It's always about one of the two. Money or passion. Sometimes passion brings money but money never leads to passion.
    Community Manager
    money never leads to passion.

Hmm, I would not entirely agree there, but based on more of historical examples. Some poets and writers created some of their best works primarily out of financial necessity. Dickens is probably one of the most famous examples in English literature, or Pushkin, one of Russia's greatest poets. Not to mention that Conan Doyle, in addition to the public demanding it, got a big fat publishing contract for resurrecting Sherlock Holmes 8 years after killing him off at Reichenbachfall, even though some say Doyle resented that character by that point.

But those were different times, with different attitudes towards money. A more civilised time... I'd be pressed to name examples that are happening today off the top of my head, but that's me.
    Level 52
    @DoctorEldritch My spouse really liked the first game, he is looking forward to playing the next one.
    Unamused Snarktooth. Advocate for hearing loss & accessibility. Person, friend and a terrible/terrific* artist.
    *delete as appropriate
    Community Manager
    @Saka It is a good game. And this time they plan to make dilemmas more relatable, I think. They want it to be a more recognizable take on the modern world, if I understand correctly. That could be an interesting social commentary if they do it right.
    Level 52
    @DoctorEldritch That's nice. From what I have seen in the first game, the dilemmas in it fit the age the game was set in, but modern societies haven't had to consider those for a long time.
    Unamused Snarktooth. Advocate for hearing loss & accessibility. Person, friend and a terrible/terrific* artist.
    *delete as appropriate