[Debate] Sony and the geo-blocking

Replies
    views
    Level 52
    Those of you who know me here know the love I have for video games, and in particular the license that is "God of War". I don't need to tell you how happy I was when I saw that it was coming to PC on September 19, with all that it brings, but Sony has stained and even spoiled this beautiful picture with a decision that I find more than questionable, not to say completely st💙pid. Geoblocking, the new trend in Sony game ports for PC. Since Helldivers 2 and Ghost of Tsushima, a PSN account is mandatory for Sony games on PC, so far so good, I need a Blizzard account for Overwatch, an Ubi account for Rainbow Six, and an EA account for It takes two (for example). The problem is that by doing so, Sony has geographically blocked access to these games, meaning that apart from the few countries where PSN exists, other countries or territories (including the Maghreb, Monaco, Egypt, Jordan and others... I'll let you see the full list >>here<<) can neither buy nor activate the game. Yet it's perfectly possible to play the game on PS4 or PS5 in these countries with or without a PSN account, with the possibility of creating a PSN account in just about any country.

What do you think of this trend? Do you think it's a good move on Sony's part? Do you think the illegal acquisition of these game(s) will explode? Do you think Sony is losing sales by doing this? Do you think other developers/publishers will be inspired by this approach?

Tell us what you think about all this!
    Tag me to be sure I see the answer and reply to you / Taguez moi pour être sûr que je vois la réponse et vous réponde en retour
    Most of my writings in no particular order (mostly in French) / La plupart de mes écrits sans ordre particulier
    >> HERE/ ICI <<

• 2 Replies

Level 52
    @roziallen42 Guess why (spammer) 👀
    Tag me to be sure I see the answer and reply to you / Taguez moi pour être sûr que je vois la réponse et vous réponde en retour
    Most of my writings in no particular order (mostly in French) / La plupart de mes écrits sans ordre particulier
    >> HERE/ ICI <<

Level 52
    @cosigil how dare you say that, it's racist, just because someone is not in the "right" country can't have access to a cultural product
    This is abject
    >> HERE/ ICI <<