Like a Dragon Yakuza is getting an Amazon series!

Replies
    views
    Community Manager
    @ZaidH I think Wei Shen would need to be of Chinese origin, though. There should be someone there who'd fit. But Ryoma, I think, would make a terrific Ryo Hazuki. I mean, even their names! Missed opportunity right there if I ever saw one 😅

Was that Goro Kishitani (names again, see! It checks out!)? If so, he may be a bit old for this version, you know, with Kiryu looking like that. But who knows, adding or taking off a few decades is nothing in showbiz these days.

Baka Mitai aside, I am worried about how Zetsubocho Puraido will turn out 😅
    Level 23
    Lmfao those actor names fit terrifyingly well with the characters 😂 But yeah casting Goro Kishitani might be risky if they plan to have more seasons.

Didn't even think about Zetsubocho Puraido 😆 Inb4 they use some voice pitch AI shenanigans for the Kiwami 2 season.
    Community Manager
    @ZaidH Yeah, it's some Shakespearian stuff right there with the names. But seeing as how Ryoma looks and sounds different from Kiryu, I'm guessing that they are not that bothered with the actor's voice or looks when casting. I wonder what will be the deciding factor then. Heck, they may even get Hidenari to play him, that'd be something...

I am not sure, I think you can tell most of the time if the voice record has been tampered with. We'll see, but my guess is they'd skip that song altogether. They could even skip the karaoke altogether, but that'd be bad storytelling, Yakuza series needs at least one karaoke visit. If Ted Lasso could do it, then Yakuza should be able to do it too.
    Level 23
    Very true. I'm fine with them taking creative liberties with the characters and the story as long as the end result is something truly special.

Seeing how the media accounts of some Prime shows, like Invincible and The Boys, lean heavily into meme culture, it would be a misstep to not use Baka Mitai in some form 😅
    Community Manager
    @ZaidH It's a gamble. Amazon can make good series like The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel and...well, series like The Rings of Power. But Yakuza has such a loyal, even if niche, fanbase that going against canon is almost dangerous even. Let's hope they are careful with it.

True, but both Invincible and The Boys are based on comics, they tap more strongly into the geek culture. Yakuza is strong but more nice and may not be at that level yet. And even then, a reference needs to be good. It'd be a shame if they referenced Baka Mitai by having it play on a radio somewhere. But if they make a karaoke scene and in a different booth near the main characters Takaya would cameo and sing it, that'd be a nice nod, I think.
    Level 23
    Agreed 100%

Oh yeah good shout on Takaya's potential cameo! This show gonna be a straight 10 if we get a full episode featuring pocket racing.
    Community Manager
    @ZaidH I'd say they could do with cameos of all of the voice cast. Yakuza has all those whimsy situations that could be used for this: karaoke or pocket racing are good, but Ryoma could read some lines with Takaya or Hidenari for some recording, or service them as clients in a hostess club, or meet them at a coliseum (Takaya had an in-game cameo there already even), there are all sorts of options as long as they want to do it.

I wonder if they will cast Shun or Taiga. Maybe not, but if yes, I want to see Hana-chan too. And if they will put in Jo Amon, then I demand they get Hugo Weaving to play him. 😅
    Level 23
    The possibilities are endless! LMFAO Hugo Weaving as Jo Amon will be the only time I forgive folks who cast Americans instead of natives 😂😂😂

Speaking of casting, a new cast member has been leaked. Spoilers ahead!!!

Name:  Screenshot2024-06-14105756.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  58.9 KB
    Community Manager
    @ZaidH Do we know Jo Amon is native, though? We know Amon clan operates in Japan, but do we ever get a glimpse at his features, I am not sure...

And Tom Holland is...well, I guess if you want a "friendly neighbourhood yakuza boss" then he's the one to call, but I honestly think he can't pull that off. He does not have a voice for it.
    Level 23
    We did get to know that the Amon Clan was active during WW2 (in Y5 I think). Their martial arts also have Japanese origins, so there's a good chance that Amon boi is a native. But that doesn't stop me from imagining him as Hugo Weaving now 😂

Lmao it would be a disaster to see Tom speaking in a posh accent with quippy marvel dialogue 😆