Like a Dragon Yakuza is getting an Amazon series!

Replies
    views
    Level 23
    Oh no....at first I thought that article was satire..

My disappointment is immeasurable and my day is ruined.

Surely they could utilize karaoke to drive forward the narrative? The games already use the sub stories for Kiryu's character development, so they already have a solid template 🫠

I fear that the "wacky" aspect of the story will be fully forced upon Majima, which will probably take away the nuance from his character 😓
    Community Manager
    @ZaidH They seem to want to make the story, at least in the first season, more emotional, and wackiness does not help that, they say. I can see the point in that, but I do not entirely agree: there were substories that touched on emotional elements in addition or instead of wackiness.

But all is not lost, sometimes series creators listen to what the public is saying. Like how Witcher changed that Nilfgaadian armour (wish they also fixed other problems like, I dunno, vibe and plot and not replacing the lead, but oh well 😅). So if the fans demand those stories after the first season, we may get them.

Still, what it hints to me is that the creators either may not fully understand what makes Yakuza work or will only use the setting and known brand as a basis for their own story. The first option is worse, and the second is not necessarily bad, but if this is what you want to do (and Fallout managed to do it quite well, too), then drop Kiryu and just tell a story. Yakuza is moving away from Kiryu anyway with Ichiban, so it would not be entirely unusual.
    Level 23
    I ain't liking what I'm reading chief 😭

But yeah you're right about the public feedback. A six ep season seems like a good place to stop and rethink the true essence of Yakuza.

This reminds me of the conversations we had before of video game adaptations. With such a tight six ep window, like you said, they could've dropped Kiryu and focused on a new POV. Such a good opportunity to expand the Yakuza universe. But there's probably more money to be made using Kiryu and Majima 😔