Advice on Gaming Laptops

Replies
    views
    Level 3
    I'd like to purchase a gaming laptop , but not sure which one to choose. Any possible advice on a great gaming laptop? Purchasing in April so I'f there's any new releases you can add them. Budget no problem just looking for a 17 or 16 inch beast.
  • 9 Replies

Hi @KillerViking that's exciting!

I'm tagging @Lascax from the Italian community because I know he has given really good advice to Italian members about which laptops to buy so maybe he can share with you some of his recommendations!
    My farewell mesage 🌟: in English - in Arabic
    Your new MEA Community Manager is @UnapologeticDino!
    Level 38
    @KillerViking
    Hello there!
    Like @QueenTomato (Tamara) said, I made an extensive research about gaming laptops these years and I even made a guide about the single choices ( in the italian forums ).
    Obviously I can't give you a whole guide about it in this reply but I'll give you a straight-forward direction.
    Let's start by saying that the situation this year isn't that much different from last year, and the Legion 2022 are mostly similar but with slightly upgraded hardware. The designs were already excellent last year and they're very similar this year too. In your case, you can consider between 2: Legion 5 Pro and Legion 7. The first is kinda bulky, solid, 4-zone RGB keyboard and well ventilated. The second is a little slimmer, with single-key customizable RGB keyboard and a sleek design, with similar cooling as the 5 Pro. Both are 16 inches and 16:10, which is free real estare compared to the 16:9: trust me, you will not go back from that 😁
    The price difference between these two is non-negligible. Personally, I like prefer the 5Pro but if for any reason you want some of the features of the 7 you can opt for it. You're paying a premium for the slimmer form factor, so it's up to you.
    About the components:
    - CPU: I'd go with the "mid-tier" Intel 12700, which is high-tier really. Unless you're using specific working software needing CPU power this is more than enough for any videogame in the next years.
    - GPU: Of course, you should aim for the NVidia 3070Ti. AMD GPUs are great and cheaper, but the technologies are much more available on the NVidia platform. This GPU is fairly priced for the power it provides, and can handle the 2560x1600 resolution of those laptops without any hiccups. Like before, aiming for the more expensive options is not worth the price difference.
    - RAM: 16GB is enough, but if you really can afford it, go for 32GB. It's not strictly needed, but we still don't know if in the future it could be needed. It's not an inevitable upgrade ( maybe you'll get another whole laptop by then ) but it's a possible one.
    - Everything else is up to you. Again, if money isn't an issue then you could straight up aim for 2 x1TB SSDs. Apart from that, choose the 300W adapter when prompted ( not strictly necessary and kinda big, but at least you will never doubt you're going full power ).
    Also... have you seen the screen of these Legions? When I upgraded from my old Lenovo Ideapad from 8 years ago I was astonished, really. The colors and definition is clearly next level, and it's not something that you can't consider when this is the screen you'll spend hours, days and weeks in front of. Many laptops don't have this kind of screen, surely they didn't last year when I was still choosing.

So... what kind of laptop you're getting?
    You can see it by yourself with this video from Jarrod's Tech, a very realiable channel for everything about gaming laptops, not only for reviews but also optimizations and general tips.
    This is exactly about the Legion 5 Pro with the suggested components above:

I hope you'll get your gaming laptop soon!
    Level 3
    I didn't expect so much information, this is amazing. I do prefer the 5 pro. I'll just do some upgrades to it. Like you said it can handle games real good. So by the time they upgrade parts I'll just sell this one and buy a new one🤠 thanks man I do appreciate your comment and information you've provided it helped me definitely on making a decision @Lascax. Also @QueenTomato (Tamara) for tagging @Lascax
    Level 38
    I'm glad to have helped! Welcome to the Legion!
    You're welcome @KillerViking please share with the rest of us what your final buying choice will be!

And thank you so so much @Lascax for your help! You're awesome 🌟
    My farewell mesage 🌟: in English - in Arabic
    Your new MEA Community Manager is @UnapologeticDino!
    Banned

Welcome to the Legion!s the king