Return to Monkey Island is coming! Arrr!

Replies
    views
    Community Manager
    Name:  monkeyreturnlisting.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  67.2 KB

Hello everyone!

Just a few days ago I finally submitted my entry to the best game character discussion, my choice being Guybrush Threepwood, Mighty Pirate from the Lucasfilm Games. And by sheer coincidence, I now learned that a new Monkey Island game is coming in 2022!

This franchise may be known to more experienced gamers here as one of the best examples of point-and-click adventures from a bygone golden era of quests. Indeed, the last time we got to see some adventures of Guybrush was over 10 years ago, back when Telltale Games made their episodic 5-part adventure. So good news for those who missed the adventures of the mighty pirate, as (same as Psychonauts) the franchise is making a decade-overdue comeback with an appropriate title Return to Monkey Island!

And if all goes well, it will be well worth the wait. The game is made by Ron Gilbert, the driving force behind the original games (the first of which came out in 1990). But, as a fan of the series, I am concerned that the game will pick up where the second game, Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge, has ended. And while it is true that the third game, The Curse of Monkey Island, did not really follow up on the ending of MI2 and moved into a separate adventure, this would still mean that Guybrush and Elane will not be married in the new game. 😥

Name:  GUEL.jpg
Views: 426
Size:  80.0 KB

Not to mention that The Curse of Monkey Island is the game that I (personally) think is the best in the series and, of course, it is the one with a very distinct visual style that I really appreciated.

Name:  29b670ee34df430993bee4d225dc81ee.jpg
Views: 2006
Size:  99.2 KB

The 2022 game, it seems, is stylistically closer to the first 2 games. But my fan grumbling aside, it is still very exciting news for point-and-click quest lovers everywhere! And if you like quests like that but, for some reason, have not tried the franchise yet, now is the good time to do it. And it is easier now, as 2 first games got a remastered makeover back in 2009.

But if you already know and love Guybrush Threepwood, well then, the wait is almost over! Actually, who else will be waiting for this game?
  • 3 Replies

Community Manager
    Played the 97 version, one of the best games of my childhood, so to say I am excited about this is a HUGE understatement. They knew how to do silly jokes and puns before the Lego games, the whole narrative and the gameplay was simply **chef kiss**

If more people love this series as much as I do, please comment so I have someone to talk to about with, my nan doesn't get the hype 😆
    → ¿Aún no te has registrado? > Hazlo aquí 😎
    → ¿Quieres ganarte una alfombrilla exclusiva de Lenovo? Haz clic aquí 🤔
    → ¿Ya viste nuestros nuevos portátiles de la gama Legion 7? Pincha aquí vara verlos
    Community Manager
    **chef kiss** indeed, @LilySensei (Paty)! And for those who do not know, 97 is the third game, The Curse of Monkey Island, the one I like the most as well.

​​​​​​​So while I am very happy about the new game, I am also a bit wary that 2022 game will "paint over" what happened in 97. But exciting to see what they will come up with!
    Community Manager
    Amazing, @DoctorEldritch!

I just noticed that Monkey Island 2 Special Edition: LeChuck’s Revenge is free with Prime Gaming from Amazon! Check it out!