No, AI will never be ethical, between corruption and lobbying

Replies
    views
    Despite the promises of the "people in ties", despite the fears of those who develop it, despite the warnings of scientists and sociologists who see it evolving, ... AI is the new battleground for lobbyists who want to bend governments to the least possible restrictions.

An excellent article on Developper.com and Public Citizen takes a dangerous look at the state of lobbying and the pressure on politicians to shape AI regulation.

https://www.citizen.org/article/arti...ton-dc/#_ftn10

AI is already heavily used in European elections as a bot and for massive propaganda on social networks. (Whether it's on comments, likes, or fake videos ... and it's always the same people using this kind of hyper dishonest methods, all over Europe)

For those who don't know the word: LOBBYING = Legal bribery
  • 3 Replies

Community Manager
    What is interesting for me is how this technology will be applied and shape the video game industry. There's already a controversy about using it in the filming industry, and we all felt that with the consequences of actor and writer strikes in Hollywood.

Meanwhile, John Hight, before he left Blizzard, was talking about how it uses AI in game development now, particularly with World of Warcraft. He mentioned AI helps artists with mundane tasks like adapting armour to different models once the concept for it has been approved, or how it improves the NPC behaviour. He also mentioned that AI is not being used to create content, which is one of the main fears for video game artists, but only helps to faster work with what has already been created by them.

And in the midst of all that, the situation in the video game industry is still rather volatile with many studios closing and lay-off levels even now approaching the number of 2023 even though we're only halfway into the current year. Makes you wonder what the future may bring...
    @DoctorEldritch For the last paragraph:

The video game industry is following what the ultra-capitalist world has in store for workers: a vampirization of capital by a handful of people whose sole aim is to get richer and richer. Basically, shareholders take the most radical decisions to make short-term profits, and that means cutting back on quality, payroll and long-term ambitions.

Shareholders are the most toxic thing ever invented to destroy themselves.

As for AI in video games, why not in the dev phases as you explain. But I'm not sure about ingame. As for the movement of secondary NPCs, let them live out their lives for the immersive aspect, but especially not for text, as proposed by several publishers. I don't want to converse with an AI, but with texts written by scriptwriters.
    Community Manager
    @ramax We are getting interesting reports of incomes in the industry...

To be fair, I would not want to talk to AI either, it would be cringy, at least, at this stage. And with those initiatives to include AIs in social media, I guess it could be seen as a test of how it could look in games. Even though AIs can make games already, and some even make it to release on, say, Steam, those are not doing too well, it will be some time yet before AI can replicate the human creativity factor.

Yet, the march of technology is unstoppable, so if anything, it will be interesting to follow how this technology develops over the next decade.