• Join Date: Mar 2021
    Posts: 39
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 106
    Given: 27

    Do video game movies suck or not?
    16-04-21

    I remember a long time ago there was always this notion that movies based on video games were always bad. I don't know how this started or how true the statement is, but there definitely have been some bad movies back in the day (Alone in the Dark for example).

    20 or so years later I'm in the cinema watching the new Mortal Kombat movie and to be honest, I really enjoyed it! As long as you know what you're going to watch and manage your expectations, you'll be satisfied. The fight scenes were really good, I believe the characters were presented well and they stayed true to what people expect from the games, and it was an overall fun experience.

    Sonic was the same; if you manage your expectations on what kind of movie it is and who they're targeting, you can still have a good time (specially since they fixed how Sonic looked from the first trailer... that was horrible). The Detective Pikachu game was also a great movie to watch just for fun.

    So is it safe to assume that nowadays people are able to make good video game movies? I'm looking forward to the Borderlands movie (my favorite game franchise) and I pray to the movie and video game gods that it doesn't suck lol
  • Join Date: Mar 2021
    Posts: 64
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 158
    Given: 458

    18-04-21

    The Dragonball and Streetfighter movies were so far the worst for me. The old Mortal Kombat movies were great for their time and the new MK movie was awesome. Never watched Alone in the Dark and actually forgot they've made one LOL!

    I think producers and directors must take their time and look thoroughly at games before they decide to produce a movie. For example, Silent Hill and Resident Evil are at least high quality and easy on the eyes.
  • Join Date: Mar 2021
    Posts: 11
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 22

    21-04-21

    Recently watched Monster Hunter, was not to bad at least the CGI was op
  • Join Date: Mar 2021
    Posts: 39
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 106
    Given: 27

    21-04-21

    Quote Originally Posted by RudiVermeulen View Post
    The Dragonball and Streetfighter movies were so far the worst for me. The old Mortal Kombat movies were great for their time and the new MK movie was awesome. Never watched Alone in the Dark and actually forgot they've made one LOL!

    I think producers and directors must take their time and look thoroughly at games before they decide to produce a movie. For example, Silent Hill and Resident Evil are at least high quality and easy on the eyes.


    Oh I never saw the Dragonball and movie but I heard it was really disappointing. The old Street Fighter movie definitely didn't age well, but I think at the time it might have been passable.

    I think if studios are to develop video game movies today, they are more likely to do a better job than they would have in the past only because I think there's a better understanding of how to treat such titles and interpret them to movies.

    ​​​​​​
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    Recently watched Monster Hunter, was not to bad at least the CGI was op

    My friend was just telling me last night that because a lot of people disliked Milla Jovovich from the Resident Evil movies and thought she ruined it, they boycotted the Monster Hunter movie. TBH I haven't heard anything like that and I'm not sure how many people feel that way, but it's obvious that people can hold grudges for decades lol
  • Join Date: Mar 2021
    Posts: 64
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 158
    Given: 458

    22-04-21

    Quote Originally Posted by tmonther View Post
    Oh I never saw the Dragonball and movie but I heard it was really disappointing. The old Street Fighter movie definitely didn't age well, but I think at the time it might have been passable.

    I think if studios are to develop video game movies today, they are more likely to do a better job than they would have in the past only because I think there's a better understanding of how to treat such titles and interpret them to movies.

    ​​​​​​


    My friend was just telling me last night that because a lot of people disliked Milla Jovovich from the Resident Evil movies and thought she ruined it, they boycotted the Monster Hunter movie. TBH I haven't heard anything like that and I'm not sure how many people feel that way, but it's obvious that people can hold grudges for decades lol


    I really liked the movie and have no problem with Milla. There will always be people who dislike something. Do yourself a favour and watch Love and Monsters. I think they did a great job with the CGI :)

    ​​​​​​​Name:  images.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  194.0 KB
    Last edited by RudiVermeulen; 22-04-21 at 11:54.
    DracoTarot
  • Join Date: Mar 2021
    Posts: 39
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 106
    Given: 27

    23-04-21

    Quote Originally Posted by RudiVermeulen View Post
    I really liked the movie and have no problem with Milla. There will always be people who dislike something. Do yourself a favour and watch Love and Monsters. I think they did a great job with the CGI :)

    ​​​​​​​Name:  images.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  194.0 KB

    Thanks for the recommendation, just saw the trailer and it looks good! Reminds me a bit of Daybreak on Netflix actually.
  • Join Date: Mar 2021
    Posts: 74
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 104
    Given: 17

    28-05-21

    DONT TALK TO ME ABOUT THAT TRASH FIRE

    Man the monster hunter movie was SO AWFUL. Yeah the monsters looked alright but my gosh what a pile of 💩

    The silent hill movie, on the otherhand, was great!
  • Join Date: Jun 2021
    Posts: 10
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 4

    21-06-21

    From personal experience... Some do, some dont.
    -Resident evil movies didn't live up for the expectations
    -Monster hunter conplete disaster.. It's rating is so bad, but outstanding CGI
    ​​​​​​​
    Overall, they suck but some standout

    Just hope the uncharted (movie) do well 😑

    ​​​​
  • Join Date: Mar 2021
    Posts: 74
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 104
    Given: 17

    23-06-21

    Quote Originally Posted by Kasper View Post
    From personal experience... Some do, some dont.
    -Resident evil movies didn't live up for the expectations
    -Monster hunter conplete disaster.. It's rating is so bad, but outstanding CGI
    ​​​​​​​
    Overall, they suck but some standout

    Just hope the uncharted (movie) do well 😑

    ​​​​

    Fair. What do you think about the last of us series they're making?
  • Join Date: Jun 2021
    Posts: 10
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 4

    28-06-21

    @Raine high expectations, just dont over do it.. And yeah just stick to the story and you are set 👍