What's your Favourite music genre?

Replies
    views
    Level 52
    Whatever you fancy regarding music these days there will always be an individual who will criticize what you listen to or even goes as far as to reject you as a person. Today's society has a way of judging too quickly. I've found interesting facts about each type of genre and how we are categorized.

Personally, I'm more into listening to metal, rock, alternative and also the gothic side of things. My favourite bands of all time are Cradle of Filth, Dimmu Borgir and some of the Nu-Metal bands like Slipknot and Rammstein. I do also wear band T's and yes I'm a proud owner of several pairs of New Rock boots. Does this make me evil? Well, some people will judge before they even have a conversation or really connect with my personality.

Here's a study conducted on different genre's of music and the outcome of each individual.

Fans of the top 40 pop hits tend to be extroverted, honest, and conventional. While pop music lovers are hardworking and have high self-esteem, researchers suggest that they tend to be less creative and more uneasy.

In spite of the stereotype that rap lovers are more aggressive or violent, researchers have actually found no such link. Rap fans do tend to have high self-esteem and are usually outgoing.

Country music fans are typically hardworking, conventional, and outgoing. While country songs are often centred on heartbreak, people who gravitate towards this genre tend to be very emotionally stable. They also tend to be more conservative and rank lower on the trait of openness to experience.

Despite the sometimes aggressive image that rock and heavy metal music project, researchers found that fans of this style of music are usually quite gentle. They tend to be creative, but are often introverted and may suffer from low self-esteem.

Fans of the indie genre are typically introverted, intellectual, and creative. According to researchers, they also tend to be less hardworking and less gentle. Passivity, anxiousness, and low self-esteem are other common personality characteristics.

According to researchers, people who prefer dance music are usually outgoing and assertive. They also tend to rank high on the trait of openness to experience, one of the five major personality traits. People who prefer fast-paced electronic music also tend to rank low on gentleness.

Classical music lovers are typically more introverted but are also at ease with themselves and the world around them. They are creative and have a good sense of self-esteem.

People who enjoy jazz, blues, or soul music were found to be more extroverted with high self-esteem. They also tend to be very creative, intelligent, and at ease.

So, whatever you listen to or like, do not worry what other people think. Be yourself and be happy with who you are.

Name:  ConcernedGrimyAkitainu-max-1mb.gif
Views: 813
Size:  575.4 KB
  • 47 Replies

Level 12
    That's quite the interesting read! Would be great to see this type of study performed on a much more granular level with sub genres and maybe even with certain bands. How awesome would it if studies have shown that fans of Marlon Manson are actually quite gentle and not violent or devious at all 😂
    I'm not sure what this study shows for people like me who tend to listen to many different genres, I guess we're just complicated!
    Level 52
    That's quite an interesting read! Would be great to see this type of study performed on a much more granular level with sub-genres and maybe even with certain bands. How awesome would it if studies have shown that fans of Marlon Manson are actually quite gentle and not violent or devious at all 😂
    I'm not sure what this study shows for people like me who tend to listen to many different genres, I guess we're just complicated!

Yea it would be interesting to see how some people in different genres are classified. I don't think you would be complicated but classified as open to anything or any suggestion. Fall easily into a trap or manipulated :). Marilyn Manson on the other hand is already in the spotlight and it's not good LOL!
    Head of Community
    Just caught up with this topic and my first comment is that I'm also a proud owner of a pair of New Rock boots @RudiVermeulen 😁 Black ones with custom-ordered purple flames!

I'm one of those who listen to pretty much all kinds of music apart from classical music really (unless it's game/movie soundtrack). I guess I'm partial to the... not sure how it's called, electro/grunge? E.g. Infected Mushroom is great, Noisuf-x etc, but it depends on my mood. When summer approaches I get more energetic in general and this for me is my "happy music" and I start listening to it more. During winter I usually like more "easy listening" stuff like what you hear on the usual radio stations. Sometimes I do like oldies too like Frank Sinatra. 😄 Some country songs are fun too though!

So how would you describe my personality based on that? Hehe
    Last edited by MoriMoonpaw; 23-04-21 at 13:45.
    Level 52
    Hi @Marion. I'm glad to see there's someone who has the same taste in footwear as me 😀.

I'm also the type of person who will start to scale down on the more heavy stuff when there's a change in season. Especially winter month's I'll go into a hibernation mode and would usually act like a Hermit and avoid concerts and clubs for live entertainment. Then the chill vibes will populate my playlist.

The heavier stuff will still be there but my playlist will also contain bands like Diary of Dreams, Diorama, Blutengel and most darkwave goth electronic bands. To tune it down a bit more I'll add Aurora, Danheim and even the Gothard Sisters from Ireland to my list. Basically all sorts of Norwegian related music. I like traditional Viking music the most next to a warm and cosy fireplace with some Hot Chocolate as a companion.😁

Well, to answer your question on how I would describe your personality, I would say you are easy going. There's not much that phases you but sometimes you may take things a little bit serious even if it's small. You are most definitely soft-hearted and would go out of your way to assist people in need.

Your strengths are Cooperative, diplomatic, gracious, fair-minded and social. Weakness: Indecisive, avoids confrontations and soft-hearted but your harmony and gentleness make you a special and unique person. Dislikes: Violence, injustice, loudmouths and conformity.

😂😅😂

My thoughts!!
    Head of Community
    Hahaha I can definitely see myself in that description @RudiVermeulen 😄
    Banned
    It's been two years since you shared your thoughts on music genres, but the topic is still as relevant as ever. Music is a beautiful expression of individuality, and it's essential to embrace our diverse tastes without fear of judgment.
    Community Manager
    oh wow great thread! soooo, I know it is a very clichè reply, but I do really listen to so many different generes...

So I am huge Linkin Park and Eminem fan, however besides them, the I artists I listen to the most are Machine Gun Kelly, Post Malone, The Weeknd, Adele, Ed Sheeran and much more... so as you can see, different type of music already. I like pop punk, I love rap, mainly american and italian... I love cry to songs, so Lewis Capaldi, Dean Lewis etc etc.. I listen to Einaudi as well, I do not know, I think the best way would be taking screenshots of my spotify most played and liked songs!
    Level 52
    @VincentBell I'm still judged for my tastes in music and since I've posted this topic it got even worse. Where I live people tend to look down upon each other culture-wise. When you dress like a Goth or Metalhead you are automatically associated with the dark side and frowned upon. All I can say is those with the most dirty laundry are the most judgemental people out there.

- - - Updated - - -
    @Sarkhan Thank you! 😊

Your reply is by no means cliche. You are most definitely entitled to listen to various music genres and no one has the right to judge. I also like different types of music and while I'm into metal and goth there are other artists who are brilliant at what they do and have my support.

Linkin Park is one of my all-time favourites and I do miss Chester Bennington so much. He had an awesome voice and was truly one of a kind. 😊
    Community Manager
    @DracoTarot oh I missed him so much too, I saw LP live in Milan and it has been unreal!