Light games about light 💡

Replies
    views
    Community Manager
    Hey Legion Gamers!

A little-known fact: today, as it so happens, is the International Day of Light! This day celebrates the role light plays in science, culture and art (any artists here?), education, and sustainable development, and in fields as diverse as medicine, communications, and energy.

So today we wanted to take a minute to remember how games use light. Of course, year after year games evolve and get better lighting, smoother shadows, and more dynamic contrast, but what we're about now is games using light as an element.

Mostly, games that do that are puzzles. For example, there is a nice little puzzle game called LIT: Bend the Light. It lets you play with angles and make all kinds of peculiar light patterns:

Or, if you'd rather go for something more 3-dimensional, then there is also Archaica: The Path of Light. It adds a whole new dimension and some color play for more varied gameplay, and all that in an ancient ruins ambiance:

And for those who're more into first-person puzzles, well, there is an all-time classic, the Portal:

Name:  ezgif.com-gif-maker(7).jpg
Views: 408
Size:  56.4 KB

But that game is not centered around light or rays, of course. So if you want to play something first-person that would really test you and be all about light and shadow, then check out the Lightmatter. In it, you get to solve puzzles while staying in the light and avoiding the deadly shadows:

And, for all Doctor Who fans out there, is it just me, or does this game seem like a homage to Vashta Nerada? If you ever wanted to try to be the Tenth Doctor in "Silence in the Library", well, this game is as close as it gets. Hey, who turned off the lights?

And these are all Light-themed games or elements I could come up with. But there may be more. Does anyone recall any interesting Tomb Raider or Assassin's Creed Light-themed puzzles?
  • 6 Replies

Level 47
    AC's games play with light a lot, for example (careful this may contain SPOILERS):

Also Skyrim (Spoiler Alert!)

And of course, any Star Wars game, because they use LIGHTsabers 😏
    Community Manager
    @j7schultz Nice ones, I have not played Valhalla yet (I am moving through the AC franchise at the moment, and am on Rogue now), but I forgot about Skyrim!

And good point about the lightsabers! Though, by that logic, most Star Wars games will fit here. Jedi: Fallen Order is great and, personally, I am very excited about the upcoming remake of 2003 KOTOR:

Head of Community
    For International Day of Light in relation to gaming, I think my personal favourite thing to celebrate the fact that they added ray tracing for Minecraft!! 😍

Community Manager
    For International Day of Light in relation to gaming, I think my personal favourite thing to celebrate the fact that they added ray tracing for Minecraft!! 😍

Looks neat! Our Legion Village should look more picturesque now! 😉
    Level 47
    Oh, I totally forgot about GYLT (Stadia), where you kill enemies with the light from your lantern and have to solve some light puzzles:

Community Manager
    Oh, I totally forgot about GYLT (Stadia), where you kill enemies with the light from your lantern and have to solve some light puzzles

Another nice one! And it reminded me of one more. Though there are no light puzzles, you can kill enemies with light (well, gun too, but also light) in Alan Wake:

Forgot about that one.