Vampire: The Masquerade - Swansong

Replies
    views
    Level 52
    Name:  vampire-the-masquerade-swansong-1651524537376.jpg
Views: 1572
Size:  81.7 KB

What is Vampire: The Masquerade - Swansong?

Developed by Big Bad Wolf Studio, Vampire: The Masquerade - Swansong is a choice-driven narrative RPG letting you explore the lives of three vampires, all from different Camarilla clans.

Big Bad Wolf Studio has previously worked on The Council, an episodic narrative adventure and this seems to take a lot of inspiration from it. If you like the idea of a Telltale style game set in the diverse and weird world of Vampire: The Masquerade, this may be a good choice for you. With all three characters utilising different skills and robust skill trees, there appears to be plenty to uncover and explore.

Anyone interested in playing the new Vampire: The Masquerade - Swansong, I sure am!!
  • 27 Replies

Community Manager
    Yes! Thank you for making this post, @DracoTarot! Great to see someone else who likes the Vampire: The Masquerade franchise!

I will definitely try it! As you pointed out, it is more narrative-based, but it will be a nice visit to the World of Darkness as we're waiting for the Bloodlines 2. I am hoping it will be at least as good as Bloodlines that Troika made. To be fair, Coteries of New York was a bit of a disappointment for me.

Though not sure if Swansong is a purely Telltale-style adventure, from what I've read, it has sort of a dialogue battle system and not just the narrative. Not sure exactly how it will work, but all the more exciting it is for me to see exactly what the mechanic is there when I try it.

And speaking of The Council, I haven't actually tried that one. Is it good?
    Level 52
    @DoctorEldritch I've seen an article about Bloodlines 2 and don't know if it's completely true.

Troika's Bloodlines is a title that's notorious for going through development hell, and it even led to the studio's closure. Disaster was imminent from the beginning, as Troika was a small team trying to make a big RPG on Valve's totally new Source engine. This led to a crunch as the team was pushed to get the product finished sooner. There was simply too much planned, including big immersive environments, combat, stealth, nine races, different classes, levelling, dialogue options, and side-quests.

It seems they've given up on the idea altogether.

I'm also new to The Council and haven't touched it yet. It looks good and I'm going to give it a go. 😁
    Community Manager
    @DoctorEldritch I've seen an article about Bloodlines 2 and don't know if it's completely true.

The trailer seemed legit to me. I even put it in my Dances post. So I am hoping it's coming.

Troika's Bloodlines is a title that's notorious for going through development hell, and it even led to the studio's closure.

All sad but true, @DracoTarot. I meant more in terms of, while technically the game was lacking (and those bugs...), I felt like they really put a lot of thought into it, and as RPG immersion it was the best in the series, maybe still is. Just for Malkavians talking to a TV I would forgive them for technical shortcomings. But such is the industry.

Also, I think this is not why they closed, there is a rumor Camarilla was involved. Troika knew too much:

I'm also new to The Council and haven't touched it yet. It looks good and I'm going to give it a go. 😁

The last narrative game I played was Detroit: Become Human. I think it was a good one, but it is a bit tricky to find a deep narrative game, there are so many out there these days, of varied quality. If you give The Council a go you like it, please share, then I'll try to find time for it myself.
    Level 52
    @DoctorEldritch I really hope they are still in the process of developing the game and would like to see Bloodlines 2 available for download soon. Yea there are always hiccups and it's totally understandable. When it comes to digital masterpieces a lot of red tape seems to be involved slowing the process. We know what happens when a game is released too hastily, take Battlefield for an example.

The last narrative game I played was Heavy Rain. I gave up halfway and my attention was drawn elsewhere. Heavy Rain is an ok game but not for me.

I'm hooked on Skyrim again at the moment and can't get enough, especially with all the addons out there :)

I will share my thoughts when I try out The Council.
    Community Manager
    @DoctorEldritch I really hope they are still in the process of developing the game and would like to see Bloodlines 2 available for download soon.

True, so do I, they've been pushing and pushing it, but so far I think it's not been canceled. All the more welcome is this Swansong option to keep us going while we wait.

Or we could try and play Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodhunt together during one of the game nights, if there are enough people interested, it also came out just 3 weeks ago.

The last narrative game I played was Heavy Rain. I gave up halfway and my attention was drawn elsewhere. Heavy Rain is an ok game but not for me.

That's fair. I have not even heard about that one, to be honest, but I noted down your experience for reference, thank you.

I'm hooked on Skyrim again at the moment and can't get enough, especially with all the addons out there :)

Oh, is that the Anniversary Edition they made last November?
    Level 52
    @DoctorEldritch I really want to game online again and I do miss teaming up. I'm saving up for a new GPU. Mine fried due to power cuts we constantly have in our area. It's such a bummer for me at this moment and it frustrates me. Well, what can I do? Have to suck it up for a while LOL!

You can try Hard Rain for yourself. As mentioned the game is not that bad but it didn't hook me as much. Opinions differ. I also don't like WoW as much and there are millions who disagree with me. :)

Yes, it's the anniversary edition. I also have a few mods I've downloaded. Skin changes and the landscape has some improvements with patches. There's plenty of weird stuff added and modders keep on adding to Skyrim. The one moe I have even included Alcina Dimitrescu from Resident Evil.
    Community Manager
    @DoctorEldritch I really want to game online again and I do miss teaming up. I'm saving up for a new GPU.

Oh, that's too bad. Hang in there! Do you have an eye on a particular GPU model? I've been wanting to try Bloodhunt, but it is so new not many people have it yet. Maybe when you get your GPU we can try it.

Opinions differ. I also don't like WoW as much and there are millions who disagree with me. :)

Very true. Our @MoriMoonpaw likes WoW, so opinions really do differ, but we're all fellow gamers here.

The one moe I have even included Alcina Dimitrescu from Resident Evil.

Sounds...weirdly curious. I am more of a Fallout guy myself, but I did enjoy Skyrim. Though with the anniversary edition and new addons like that, maybe "Favorite Skyrim mods" could be a nice idea for a whole post.
    Community Manager
    But I fear I may have derailed from the topic a bit. As @DracoTarot said, Vampire: The Masquerade - Swansong came out, and it is exciting news and even more so for the fans of the World of Darkness universe! Thank you @DracoTarot for sharing it!

And for those who are not (yet) familiar with World of Darkness, check it out!
    @DracoTarot, if you choose to do a clan test there, please share what clan you are! I am Salubri (wanted to be Tremere, but oh well).
    Level 52
    @DoctorEldritch, Apologies!! I also went off-topic here LOL!. At the end of the day, I hope Bloodlines 2 will see the light of day and for now, I will focus on the releases currently available.

I'm leaning towards a Geforce RTX3070 OC 8GB. I do have a very tight budget at the moment or my other option is to hold on for a while and purchase a Legion Slim 7 laptop. 😀