Positive Media Day: Batman!

Replies
    views
    Community Manager
    Hello Legion Gamers!

The 22nd of June was Positive Media Day! We already shared a bit of good news for cyberpunk game fans, so this time, the good news comes for fans of movies and animation, and especially the fans of Batman!

The first news is that Penguin, a series centred around Oswald Cobblepot and set in "Pattison's Batman" universe, got a teaser and a release window for September:

And if the new Batman universe is not your thing and you like animated classics, then here is a bit of news for you too: Amazon revealed the cast behind their upcoming Batman: Caped Crusader:

After the iconic Kevin Conroy (RIP), the voice of the Dark Knight went to Hamish Linklater. Curious choice, will be interesting to see how he does. And more interestingly, they revealed voices for Catwoman ( @DracoTarot you may be glad to know it's Christina Ricci!), Harley Quinn and Two-Face, but not the Joker. Either we're not getting him the first season, or they are keeping him under wraps for now.
  • 15 Replies

Level 52
    @DoctorEldritch Can't wait to watch these. I'm also looking forward to watching The Joker 2.

Christina Ricci will be a great pic for the role of the actual Catwoman but I know it would never happen. She doing a voiceover is better than nothing.
    Community Manager
    @DracoTarot Joker 2 will be an interesting one, them turning it into a musical and all. I wonder how well it will pull that off.

Why would it not happen? If Anne Hathaway could do it, Christina could too, given an opportunity. Maybe in one of those new Batman movies, they are still working on a plot for the sequel. Who knows, if she does well here, they may cast her in for a live role.
    Level 52
    @DoctorEldritch I don't know about Lady Gaga playing the role of Harlequin. Maybe she won't be that bad.

It could happen if she is interested in playing the role. I've read Ricci declined a few roles in the past few years. They wanted to cast her for the new Crow and Nosferatu movies. It never happened.
    Community Manager
    @DracoTarot I am not sure, honestly. I do not think he has "crazy" for it, I mean, her personal is...what's the current term the kids are using...disruptive? but Harley is insane on a different level. Though I may be biased, I did not quite like her in AHS, so... But as you said, maybe she will surprise us. And we'll get to compare her with Harley voiced by Jamie Chung, too.

Well, to be fair, I can see why she would decline those. Crow, I would say, is one of those projects that should not happen: it is extremely unlikely they will live up to the cult classic. As for Nosferatu, maybe she wants to step away from "horror" films, did she say why? Batman is more of a noir, after all, maybe she would be more open to it. I mean, she did play that role in Wednesday, shows she may not be that picky in the end. Or would do it if the offer is good money-wise. Speaking of Nosferatu, have you seen the trailer yet?
    Level 52
    @DoctorEldritch I guess the best is to wait for the release and then I'll voice my opinion. I am in no position to judge. Like you said maybe she will surprise us.

I haven't seen the new Crow as yet. From what I've seen and read the movie seems to be an utter failure. If they had gone with the original theme the movie would have been better. It's one of those movies not worthy of a remake or sequel.

I'm not sure what her reasons are. Maybe family life is more important to her or she is part of something new not made public yet.

I've seen the trailer. I can't wait for the release.

Community Manager
    @DracoTarot It's just... I find it rare when people try to be professional singer and actor and whatever else all at once, I think it rarely pays off and it may be best to focus on one career. There are exceptions, of course, but as a general rule, I think it stands.

I thought Crow was to be released in 2 months, at the end of August? You can watch the trailer now, though:

To me it's pretty meh, I will likely not watch it.

Family is a valid reason, I can respect that. I was sad when Yvette Nicole Brown did not return for the final season of Community, but she refused the role so that she could take care of her elderly father, so while it was sad, it was understandable. Donald Glover leaving, on the other hand, I have more beef with. But they both confirmed to be coming back for that "And A Movie" they are planning, so I can forgive them.

Nosferatu will be an interesting experiment in relation to Crow, I mean, Bill Skarsgard plays titular characters in both of those films. Maybe they will balance themselves out 😅
    Level 52
    @DoctorEldritch I will watch The Crow just for the sh@ts and giggles. 😂

I can relate, sometimes sacrifices must be made. While I'm no actor or singer and of no importance to society I also needed to give up my career to look after my dad who is now disabled and help out my mother with daily chores and stuff. Both are over 70 and I worked a few hundred miles from home and it became impossible to go back and forth the whole time.

Hopefully, they return and you can end your beef with them once and for all.

Name:  baff47d9-2b1f-406b-85d6-11be6a154605_text.gif
Views: 14
Size:  526.8 KB

Bill Skarsgard is a good actor, still, he's made only for certain roles. He was good at playing Pennywise in IT.

No matter who they choose for a role in a Crow remake, all the actors will fail miserably. There was only one Eric Draven, Brandon Scott Lee.

I'm sure Bill will be awesome in Nosferatu.
    Community Manager
    @DracoTarot I watched Venom for that, but didn't get much out of it.

That is admirable. I live far away from my parents, but I visit them for extended periods of time each year. The time for this year's visit is coming up soon, too.

I think their return has been confirmed now, so it is a matter of scheduling and filming the thing. When the Community series was still going, they had this running joke there that it would be "six seasons and a movie":

All the main cast were keen on doing it (except Chevy Chase, but they got rid of him mid-series), but it was up to money, schedule, timing, that sort of thing. But if rumours are true, that all got sorted and we might see Community's last hurrah sometime soon.

True, but it is in the nature of actors to try themselves in different roles. Indeed, some, like Leslie Nielsen, focus (or are majorly used by directors) on comedic roles, but I would think it is tempting for actors to try themselves in genres less common for them. Bill Skarsgard branched out a bit too, with Boy Kills The Worls and being a villain to John Wick.

We'll see how he does in both Crow and Nosferatu. I mean, one actor does not make the movie, even the titular one, there must be a lot more than that for it to be a success. And you never know, he may live up to the challenge in Crow too, back in the day people thought that Dracula could only be Bela Lugosi, but then Sir Christopher Lee came along and proved everyone wrong. But from the trailer, Crow looks more like a typical action move rather than a deep story it is meant to be...
    Level 52
    @DoctorEldritch I'm also not a big fan of the Venom movies. I expected more.

My parents are more important to me at this stage. Our neighbourhood is also not the same anymore and riddled with crime. They would not be able to protect themselves and times are a bit hard for my parents financially.

I haven't watched the Community series. I wonder if it's still available on Netflix.

True, the actor doesn't always make the movie. The storyline is most important. Still, some actor needs to stay in their genre.

Imagine Roman Atkison starring in a horror. He can't play a serious role. His whole demeanour does not allow it. He would be fitting for a film like Scary Movie or any other satirical horror or action with no serious intent.

I still have my doubts about the Crow. I know I won't like the movie one bit.

Other actors do adapt well to other roles.