Is it fair to criticize a game because is too difficult?

Replies
    views
    Community Manager
    Hello everyone,

I would like to open a debate about if it is fair to criticize a game because is too difficult.
    I am talking about the DLC of Elden Ring which was released last Friday and it has received many negative comments because of how hard it is.
    Honestly, I do like difficult games even if they make me cry ahah but in my opinion, a game should be evaluated for how it is made, for its gameplay and the difficulty is subjective to the player's skill! Moreover, soulslike are not meant to be easy!

What do you think about it?

• 4 Replies

Level 11
    For me it depends on why a game is difficult.

For example, I never enjoyed DS1 or 3 because the controls were purposely lagged at times, which created an input lag. But I love DS2 and Bloodborne, because they lessened that significantly in both games.

The only time I played Elden Ring was at a convention and there I could see it didn't have that issue, which meant even though I died constantly in the hour I played, it was a fun game to play.

As for the discourse around the specific one or two bosses that are needed to play the DLC I question the validity of them at all. In many other games you are required to defeat the end boss of the game to enjoy any expansions or DLC content, especially if they further the story.

You would complain about a Persona game requiring you to finish the main story to play the expansion?

The difference this time may be that Elden Ring is significantly more punishing from the start. And Mohg is one of the hardest bosses to defeat, from what I have seen and read. We also have to question buying a DLC that specifically tells you which boss needs to be defeated if you cannot defeat that boss before the DLC?

So, no, and yes, I guess? A game should be enjoyed for what it is. If it is difficult because of bad game design then critique is valid, but if it is designed well and requires a threshold of skill only? Then a critique of its difficulty is almost a positive critique.
    Level 52
    It's souls game you know why you're playing it...

I think players shouldn't be upset for it being difficult they should be grateful that games developing studios are capable of making such great dlc with such style of art and not rushing useless content no one asked for...

You may look at unisoft games, Assassin's creed as an example.. recent iterations feel like each game could've been a dlc for its prequel, lacks quality and art style.

Games development studios could look up to The Witcher 3, Read dead redemption 2, Elden ring and Cyberpunk to learn how to make a fine dlc
    👁️ A W A K E N 👁️
    Community Manager
    @Sock0Puppet @M2lobaz we are totally on the same page!
    Level 52
    I don't fear challenge, but I will absolutely criticize FromSoftware games (and alike) because they are ridiculously difficult. Since the dawn of video games we had a choice in difficulty levels like easy - medium - hard - very hard ... (and stuff like that) I don't know why, just because it's these games we couldn't have the same and people will yell at us if it happens ? Is it hiding an ugly story ? Is suffering the only purpose of playing these games ?
    Because by doing so (not giving the choice), they are excluding so many people, like people with impaired motor skills or any other kind of handicap, people who don't have hours (and controllers) to waste on Malenia, it's supposed to be entertainment, not a source of frustration, and it should be accessible to everyone, not just masochists 🤣
    You got my idea by now I guess, it should adapt to everyone, we should have a difficulty level that suits multiple categories of people, those who like it extreme will find their happiness, those who like to enjoy the story more than anything will also do, and everyone will be happy
    Tag me to be sure I see the answer and reply to you / Taguez moi pour être sûr que je vois la réponse et vous réponde en retour
    Most of my writings in no particular order (mostly in French) / La plupart de mes écrits sans ordre particulier
    >> HERE/ ICI <<