A message to the community: Lovely Spam! Wonderful Spam! ✉

Replies
    views
    Head of Community
    As you may or may not have noticed, we have had some not-so-wonderful spam in the last few weeks. We've seen it creep into posts and new threads, resulting in much work for the team and frustration for you, our members.

I wanted to address this in a State of the Nation-type post and clarify what is going on without giving away too much of what we are doing behind the scenes -- a community manager must have their secrets, after all.

So, what's going on?
    We have been under attack from a malicious third party, and while their intent isn't to bring down the community, they have, a few times, caused it to slow down. A number of "bad links" have been posted from these spam accounts, which, in many cases, have contained malware. Please ensure that if you have clicked any of the links, you take appropriate measures to secure your device(s).

So what are we doing about it?
    Rest assured, we are following through. Our very talented tech team is working on several new countermeasures to prevent such attacks in the future. We appreciate your patience and understanding as we implement these changes.

While we implement the next generation of these countermeasures, you might find yourself in a situation where your post doesn't go on the forum immediately but instead ends up in our moderation queue. Don't worry; this is a temporary measure, and YOU can help us immensely by continuing your activity on the forums. This will allow us and our systems to get a lot better at spotting malicious activity. That way, we get better at getting rid of the spam before you even see it and creating a more engaged and robust experience for your fellow members.

How will this affect you?
    As time passes and we see more of your activity, you will see fewer and fewer of the countermeasures. That doesn't mean they aren't there; it just means that the new systems are working. The more you're active, the less it will affect you.

What about the future?
    Well, fingers crossed, everything will be back to almost normal very shortly. But we have taken the opportunity to make some changes to the overall set-up that we will be rolling out in the future Including new quality of life improvements that I'm personally excited about, so stay tuned!

As always, all the love,

Mr.Snow

Name:  spam.gif
Views: 61
Size:  336.3 KB
    Last edited by MrSnow; 2 Days Ago at 14:42.
    -- The human embodiment of golden retriever energy.
  • 12 Replies

Level 47
    Nobody does 😅😅😅
    good luck for the community team countering this annoying behavior, hoping it doesn't show and bother anyone any more 🤞
    One step closer to greater understanding!
    Head of Community
    1) Love your signature
    2) Thank you, fingers crossed indeed :)
    Level 52
    Appreciating your hard work, thanks for keeping this community safe and friendly✌
    👁️ A W A K E N 👁️
    Level 52
    @MrSnow The only Spam I like comes in a can. 😄 Many thanks for the dedication and hard work keeping the community safe. I wish they would all go live on another planet and annoy each other. 😉
    Head of Community
    @DracoTarot I did this Korean spam noodle soup thing with cheese (I know sounds off) and it was gorgeous. Uh maybe that's what I'm having for lunch.

And yes, that's the only spam we like!
    Level 52
    @MrSnow It doesn't sound bad. I'm all for out-of-the-ordinary foods and recipes. I am not sure if Spam noodle soup would be available here to purchase in a supermarket. I guess I can try and make my own. 😂
    Level 23
    It was kinda scary to see the bots evolve from simple random posts to straight-up commenting in normal threads 🫥 Have seen these posts go down quite a bit, so major kudos to the team for being the shield of this community 🛡️
    Level 52
    Sending you all good vibes, and good luck 😁
    Tag me to be sure I see the answer and reply to you / Taguez moi pour être sûr que je vois la réponse et vous réponde en retour
    Most of my writings in no particular order (mostly in French) / La plupart de mes écrits sans ordre particulier
    >> HERE/ ICI <<

Head of Community
    It was kinda scary to see the bots evolve from simple random posts to straight-up commenting in normal threads 🫥 Have seen these posts go down quite a bit, so major kudos to the team for being the shield of this community 🛡️

In a world of increasingly capable LLM's it is frightening how close to human they can get. Luckily we are now ready for the next one.