Farewell Game Informer...

Replies
    views
    Level 23
    Tell me about it 😭 I really really wanna play Infinite Wealth, but I've yet to complete Y6 😫 Really tempted to watch a YT summary video of it.
    Community Manager
    @ZaidH I'd opt for not watching it, it does not have the same feel, with Yakuza games you really need to play those, but that's me. And lack of time and resources is a valid reason.

But before Infinite Wealth, in addition to Y6, you also need to play Like a Dragon and, ideally, The Man Who Erased His Name, too.

Then again, no one is rushing you, you may as well spread it across a long time if you feel like it. Wait for discounts, too.
    Level 23
    Yeah, I'll probably get over the Yakuza burnout and then play Y6 and the rest. Patience gaming ftw 💪
    Community Manager
    @ZaidH I had a Yakuza burnout when I had to format my disk in the middle of Yakuza 4. Took me a while to get back into it and do all that all over again.

For me, changing the genre helps. Like going tactics or metroidivnia or something other than RPG for a while.
    Level 23
    Ooof yeah I remember when your Y4 save file became inaccessible 😬 Even the charisma of Akiyama wouldn't be able to bring me back into the game if the same happened to me.

It does help indeed! So looking forward to the changes in LAD.
    Community Manager
    @ZaidH It was tough, took me between half a year and a year to recover...

LAD is more tactical, yeah, the more common JRPG tactics. So it feels different. To me, it also felt a bit...I want to say empty. It is set in a very big area, normally Yakuza games are packed in a relatively small district, but here it is not just one district but a big chunk of the city, and with activities spread around it feels like much of the place is unused. Felt a bit...ubisoftish to me.
    Level 23
    Hooly moly that sounds brutal 😰 I can see now why you recommended games of different genres as palate cleansers.

Uh oh, I was expecting the game to have a denser area with more explorable interiors 🫥
    Community Manager
    @ZaidH Well, not only as cleansers, I mean, other genres and games are good in their own right, too. But they also happen to be a remedy for situations like this.

No, no such luck, it is actually quite widely spread and does not have more interiors than older Yakuza games. It does have dungeons though, if you count those as interior. To be fair, Kamurocho and Sotenbori are also featured, but to a lesser extent.

And they kept reusing it, as they often do in this series: Yokohama, the main district of LaD is also featured in TMWEHN and Lost Judgment for a bit.
    Level 23
    Well that's a bit of a bummer 🫤 The dense design of the map was among the major factors that drew me into the series.

Kinda intrigued by the "dungeons" though. Are these places similar to the Tojo HQ or the Castle from Y2, which are only used for story missions?
    Community Manager
    @ZaidH I am really not sure why they decided to make it that big, it could have been 2, 3 times as small and it would have been fine. I mean, it even has roads. You know, with cars that drive and can hit you. That's a rare thing for Yakuza games. Normally you are in pedestrian-only areas with very few cars, if at all.

Yeah, sort of like that. In a JRPG manner, they are those big labyrinths with different enemies and loot. The trouble is, they are there, to a large extent, for the grind system to work. So while they are fun initially, it gets old fast.