Check out Blizzard's WoW "Threads of Destiny" trailer!

Replies
    views
    Community Manager
    Hello Legion Gamers!

In preparation for the World of Warcraft: The War Within expansion (to come out on the 27th of August or 23rd for Epic), Blizzard, a is traditional., prepared a trailer showcasing heroes and villains of the new expansion. Check it out:

@Saka and @Liue this is mainly for you 😉 And makes me wonder, with so much focus on this kingdom, would it feel different for those who use that function to turn spiders into crabs 🤔
  • 9 Replies

Level 52
    @DoctorEldritch I am sure you can make creepy crustaceans as well.

It's interesting to see the this race playing a major role again. Many years ago, in Wrath of the Lich king, there was supposed to be a raid with them, but it ended up scrapped.
    Unamused Snarktooth. Advocate for hearing loss & accessibility. Person, friend and a terrible/terrific* artist.
    *delete as appropriate
    Community Manager
    @Saka I am sure you can, in fact, Darkest Dungeon managed to do just that. But their vibe is different, spiders are about webs and threads and caves and hunting, and crustaceans would be more eldritch gods and sea depth and all that. Visual-wise such a substitution is possible, but I am not sure if it would make sense lore and vibe-wise, those may suffer.

Are they connected to Lich King or undead in any way? It is common for spiders to be connected to necromancers, Warhammer 40K and Heroes 7, for example, both make that connection.
    Level 52
    @DoctorEldritch The spider race from WotLK were servants of the Lich King. The ones now I have no idea, other than the trailer mentioning that they served the Old Gods. I haven't been reading much about the upcoming expansion because I like having some surprise when the launch finally comes and I go on the questing journey.
    Unamused Snarktooth. Advocate for hearing loss & accessibility. Person, friend and a terrible/terrific* artist.
    *delete as appropriate
    Community Manager
    @Saka How much of a role does Lick King have these days? I know he was a focus of earlier expansions, but after that plot ark where he was defeated and "changed", I am not sure how big is his role. If no longer that big, then it would make sense for them not to be as connected to him anymore and focus on those Old Gods instead, whatever those are.

Actually, Old Gods, especially the way they look, are pretty Lovecraftian, so turning spiders into crabs could work form that angle, now when I think about it.
    Level 52
    @DoctorEldritch When Arthas was defeated (the old Lich King), he was replaced in his role by a man who was formerly the regent of the human kingdom. It was said at the end of WotLK expansion that there must be always a Lich King, else the scourge minions would break loose and wreak havoc. So the volunteered new Lich King was just in the exile in Icecrown, making sure that the minions are at least somewhat controlled.

When Sylvanas Windrunner stole the helm of the Lich King and broke it to open a portal to Shadowlands, she destroyed the source of power that was granting the command over the minions. Now they are no longer controlled, and thus the Lich King no longer has a role to fill. He did play a major role in Shadowlands, but as usual, the topic went quiet with new expansion. Last that was heard of him was that he was confronted by his daughter, who presumed him deceased for years.
    *delete as appropriate
    Community Manager
    @Saka Ah, so from the world-threatening epic his story turned into family drama? I wish they would do more with him, I mean, the quest of search for purpose is one of the main themes of Frankenstein; or, The Modern Prometheus. If he has no role to fill, he may embark on a quest to find a new purpose, and it could be interesting to follow. He could even go all Black Noir from the original The Boys comic (not the series) and try to create a new artefact that would control the scourge.
    Level 52
    @DoctorEldritch Hey, every hero has to retire eventually!
    *delete as appropriate
    Community Manager
    @Saka That's true, although occupational hazards in that line of work often prevent that. But even then, players need closure. Show us Lich King, I dunno, picking up fishing or gardening (or ice sculpting if you want to stay on brand). Since he has a daughter, maybe also playing with grandkids or something. Don't just leave him hanging.
    Level 52
    @DoctorEldritch He is technically not a Lich King anymore since the thing that made him one was destroyed. So maybe a retired Lich King?

Who knows, maybe he's fishing and watching fae spirits in Ardenweald.
    *delete as appropriate