Arkane is dead, long live the WolfEye!

Replies
    views
    Community Manager
    @ZaidH Probably, but as you mentioned, functionality is there already, game allows one respec. I would think changing it would not be too time-consuming. Even if not deeper in-game integration like ripperdoc service, just changing that menu function from single-use to multiple uses should have been possible. Were they that pressed on time, I wonder.
    Level 23
    If I was given a chance to be a fly on a wall during the development phase of a game, I'd pick Konami for MGSV and CDPR for Cyberpunk 😅
    Community Manager
    @ZaidH I was involved in several game developments in a few different companies, and in my experience it is a much more hectic process than it may seem. In big teams, often left hand does not know what the right one is doing, there are changes on the go and plans for day-one patches months before release. So not sure how illuminating it may be for a fly on the wall.

But maybe @j7schultz or @SKYTRiXSHA could tell you more about what happens behind the gamedev curtain. 😉
    Level 23
    New Doctor Eldritch lore drop 😲 That is so cool! I’d love to know what games you’ve been involved with, but I won’t pry too much because of NDAs and privacy 😅 But yeah I follow some game devs and see how often they move between companies. I’m sure it’s a great way to get better positions and pay, but all those deadlines and public expectations must be intense.

I’m genuinely so happy to see people from the gaming industry in this community 😁 @j7schultz @SKYTRiXSHA if it’s okay with you, could you share which gaming studios you’re both involved with? No worries if you prefer not to reveal it!
    Community Manager
    @ZaidH I have some NDAs that bind me for life from some of the other places that I worked in, but gaming companies did not have them for quite as long, and it never forbade me from revealing titles after the release.

Though my role was in translation and localization, I was working on localizing menus, creating subtitles, working on scripts for voice actors, that sort of thing. So, not too deep a clearance. 😉

I worked on Titanfall 2, CoD WW2 and an instalment of the Yo-Kai Watch franchise for Nintendo.
    Level 23
    See, before the Yakuza games, I didn’t care much about localization. I was used to the barely passable translations back then. Yakuza 0 wouldn’t have been nearly as enjoyable if the localization team hadn’t poured their hearts and souls into making the culture and societal norms accessible to us through language. You guys have my utmost respect 😁

Oooof, those are some big names! It must have been so much fun to localize BT’s lines—that delicate balance between a robot and a human.
    Community Manager
    @ZaidH Localization is challenging work. Especially in cutscenes, you not only need to translate the text but also edit it in such a way that the time to say lines in original and localized is as close as possible. It is sometimes hard, I would imagine especially in Japan/English audio localization where some lines in Japanese are longer in English. You need to get creative with edits.

BT was actually somewhat easy in that regard, he has no mouth, so you do not need to account for lipsync. And he was fun to work at, yeah.