And finally, Disney's other plans!

Replies
    views
    Community Manager
    Hello Legion Gamers!

D23 brought us a lot of Disney-related release news. Star Wars and Marvel were covered in separate posts, so all that is left is to recap plans that do not fall into either of those two. Starting with Toy Story 5:

Ah, childhood... No proper trailer for it yet, but the teaser is a promise. I wonder how it will be since the fourth part wrapped up the story of Woodie, they seem to be bringing him back. And from what I read, the main plot this time may be the conflict between real toys and gaming apps.

Then there is the next instalment in the Tron universe, Tron: Ares. Do not have a proper teaser for that yet, but it was shown at the event.

Followed by the new trailer for the Lion King prequel about Mufasa:

Do not really mind that one, have not seen a remake of the original, and will likely not watch this, but looks decent enough.

In addition, they teased with concept art of the third Avatar, the third (again) Frozen and a new cartoon Hoppers from Pixar. And again from Pixar, it seems that they are working on a series, for the first time ever. It's called Win or Lose:

Pixar was and often still is very good at animation, but series is a new format, let's see how they do. Other than that, Moana got a sequel trailer for Autumn:

And that's a wrap on Disney. See anything that you like?
  • 8 Replies

Level 52
    @DoctorEldritch Oh, I really liked the first Moana. Hoping the sequel is good and doesn't ruin the story.
    Unamused Snarktooth. Advocate for hearing loss & accessibility. Person, friend and a terrible/terrific* artist.
    *delete as appropriate
    Community Manager
    @Saka It is often hit-or-miss with sequels, yeah. But Inside Out, Frozen, Incredibles and all Toy Stories managed to do quite well with them, so chances are creators are getting the hang of them. Here is to hope.
    Level 52
    @DoctorEldritch I read that Moana's voice is again Auli'i Cravalho. That's good! Was worried they might have changed the actor, because there was some talk about a live action movie where Cravalho said she would step down for someone of purer ancestry.
    Unamused Snarktooth. Advocate for hearing loss & accessibility. Person, friend and a terrible/terrific* artist.
    *delete as appropriate
    Community Manager
    @Saka It is tricky with voices. I know Central Park and Big Mouth both had actor voice changes like that mid-run. But changes like that can be for the better, sometimes you end up with an actor who really does fit the role better. With Moana, we already have a voice associated with her, though. But in all honesty, I would not mind them changing the Rock to someone of purer ancestry.
    Level 52
    @DoctorEldritch The thing with Moana is that apparently the movie was designed with the character being a cartoonized version of Auli'i, so in this instance she is the Moana. Of course, the live action movie if that one is made, would be something different. I just hope the actor they find won't be as wooden as for example Mulan from the live action remake.
    *delete as appropriate
    Community Manager
    @Saka Mulan...may not be the best example, yeah... Do you know if they use that "face capture" technology when recording? If so, then it would put more emphasis on them using the same voice actress even on the visual level despite that being animation.

I mean, even Benedict Cumberbatch had to do that when voicing Smaug, and they did not even look that much alike. Or do they...

Level 52
    @DoctorEldritch On a quick wiki read, apparently it was Cravalho's debut and she did not feel comfortable with cameras. There was no motion capturing per se, but she was watched live and presumably recorded, so that the animators could make the facial movements more realistic and also noted how she pronounced words.
    *delete as appropriate
    Community Manager
    @Saka Maybe she'd be motion-captured this time, that technique is becoming more and more common. But I wonder why she was not comfortable with cameras as being in front of them is a bigger part of her job. I mean, I understand how it could be uncomfortable for the rest of us, but for actors and singers, it is the normal part of the process. Maybe she does something unusual when voice acting, like Mark Hamill?