DoctorElditch is taking time off (🙄again...)!

Replies
    views
    Community Manager
    @ZaidH Depends. Cthulhu is probably the most well-known Eldritch sea-dweller and a beach would indeed be a place to commune, but for some others, it is best to find a secluded place among the mountain peaks under the clear night sky so close you can almost reach it.

I'd say it is not generally a bad thing at all that Yakuza is getting a series and thus being exposed to the wider audience, it has always been a bit of a niche game series (less so as years went by, but still). But it is just so...not Yakuza, you know? They made it so generic.

I've been thinking about it yesterday, and maybe this is actually the point? Many people will watch the series and know about Yakuza, chances are that many will want to try playing the game after that, too. And then they will see how much better the game is and then, PROFIT! It's like the series is Turkey Burger and the game is Beef Burger with Ron as game dev and Chris as series producer:

The series does not need all those extras with "actors did not play games" and "we incorporated several fighting styles into choreography". Just stick to the basics of what made the games great 😉
    Level 23
    @DoctorEldritch LMAO the clip is on point 😂😂😂

Many people will watch the series and know about Yakuza, chances are that many will want to try playing the game after that, too.

See, my worry is that if the show turns out mediocre, it might discourage people from playing the games 😅 I may be overanalyzing, but doesn't this feel similar to recent game and movie releases? The budgets are so high that they end up making the project generic to appeal to as many people as possible 🫠
    Community Manager
    @ZaidH Parks and Recreation gave us some really fine clips over the years that fit many situations 🙂

It is hard to say, there are not that many examples of "game adapted to series" examples yet to outline a pattern or trend, you can count them on one hand. Maybe two at most.

But one thing Yakuza has is a fanbase that already exists, a loyal one, myself and yourself included. When the series comes out and if it is mediocre, this fanbase may advocate giving the game a try vocally enough for people to be encouraged to do that still. If the series was mediocre and no one said anything about the games, then your scenario is quite likely, but I am hoping enough people will jump at the Yakuza games defence.

As for creative bankruptcy of the current Hollywood, well, that's a separate colossus of a problem that won't be tackled that easily...