Welcome to the 📖 Legion Book Club 📖

Replies
    views
    Level 23
    @DoctorEldritch Oh yeah, while the Witcher games had some hopeful moments (hell Gwent is the most joyous thing ever 😂), it often felt like everyone, except Geralt and his pals, was just one step away from death. Seeing entire villages wiped out and bodies everywhere was pretty normal. And most quests didn’t seem to have happy endings. Compare that to games like Skyrim, which MAY take some inspiration from the Middle Ages but have more of an adventure vibe—slaying dragons and stuff. For me, Witcher leaned more toward a depressing, hopeless atmosphere 🥲

Things are finally starting to make sense in CoM 😁 I thought I was familiar with the quirks found in books like this, but man, the thing inside Twoflower's camera caught me off guard 😂😂😂 I don't think I've ever laughed this hard at a fantasy book 😂
    Community Manager
    @ZaidH I thought in most cases you could resolve quests more or less happily. not always, granted, but on enough occasions.

But it could also be that books are somewhat bleaker indeed, and I read them all first. So when I was playing the game, I thought "Oh, this is not so dark, compared to stores). And the game did make a few darker elements of the books less so, and brought back several characters, so there is also that.

For hopeless atmosphere, I go to Pathologic.

Ah, there will be more little things like that as the time goes on. Glad you seem to be enjoying it so far!
    Level 23
    @DoctorEldritch Haha maybe I gravitated more towards these depressing quests 😆 My common issue with W3 was that the quests always started with some poor person's innards all torn up, and Geralt having to use his Witcher sense over and over.

Oooh, I’ll have to check out Pathologic at some point! Do you have any good reads with that uncomfortable, hopeless vibe?

Ah, there will be more little things like that as time goes on. Glad you seem to be enjoying it so far!

Super hyped! To be honest, I wasn’t a big fan of Good Omens and dropped it fairly early, but my experience with CoM has been the complete opposite. I'm so happy that you and @CandelaSynth encouraged me to read it 😁
    Community Manager
    @ZaidH

Oh wow, you´re in for a treat then! So happy for you, but I´m also jealous, hahah, wish I was reading that book for the first time again 😝

PS, The demon painter is the best 🤣
    I love how he portraits the concept of "tourism" in that world.
    Level 23
    @CandelaSynth I think CoM will be a book worth revisiting for folks who are well versed with Discworld 😁

Lmao he is 😂 Dude has his own cooking range and furniture inside the camera 😂 After the "inn-sewer-ant" policy, I'm dying to know what tourism is 🤣
    Community Manager
    @ZaidH

Actually, you´re right! I haven´t read any of the DW books for more than a decade.... As @DoctorEldritch said, my favourite were the ones with Death as main protagonist, but I hardly remember the first two books...!!
    Also, I´ve never read them in English, just in Spanish, so it´ll be a very cool read for Xmas 🤩
    Level 23
    @CandelaSynth Wait, Death as a protagonist!? Oh hell yeah I’m so excited for this!!! He’s been an absolute menace every time he’s appeared in CoM so far 😂

By the way, have you read The Book Thief by Markus Zusak? That book has Death as the narrator, and he also does whimsical things sometimes. It takes place during WW2 though, so it's usually sadness buried below Death's commentary 🥲

Also, I´ve never read them in English, just in Spanish, so it´ll be a very cool read for Xmas 🤩

That does sound like a jolly good time! Does the British humor translate well in Spanish?
    Community Manager
    @ZaidH

Nope! I didn´t know of The Book Thief, but ´m currently in a stage in my life when I try to avoid very sad books/films. I´m all for comedy and adventure or even non fiction though : )

Actually, the translation was very good if I remember correctly, must be so difficult to translate jokes but I remember the books being hilarious, so well done translator!
    And regarding "British humour" in general, we actually have a very similar type of humour actually, especially in South Spain: absurd and surreal and sometimes very sarcastic and dry. I guess this is why I was able to survive in the UK for that many years 😝
    Level 23
    @CandelaSynth I totally get that 😄

That’s such a cool cultural insight! I didn’t realize the humor was so similar. I might have to do the reverse and look for Spanish books translated into English 😁
    Community Manager
    @ZaidH

Oh, interesting!! I wonder how well translated they´ll be? This is classic humorous Spanish book:

No Word from Gurb

Back in the day it was a humorous satire, especially if you know about Spanish/Catalan culture, though I imagine it´ll be a bit dated now... (?)

But now that we´re talking about this, I´d love to find a funny recent book originally written in Spanish! I haven´t read any comedy book for so long. Probably this is what I need in my life, hehe