Hello Legion Gamers!

October is traditionally a month for scary, mystical and spooky stuff here in Legion. Recently, @DracoTarot and I were talking about Lovecraftian horror 🐙, and that made me think that it may be nice to collect good game examples of this genre in one place. Hence, this post.

Indeed, this setting is very versatile and can be used in story-based narrative, open world, turn-based or any other genre you may think of. As you may have guessed from my nickname, I enjoy this type of setting, so know a few games that try to use it. But to give everyone a chance to shine with their Eldritch knowledge, I thought to just mention the most notable examples.

Starting, as we must, with Call of Cthulhu:

Based on the famous tabletop (so famous, that it was the second most popular tabletop after D&D back in 2021), it is a story-based game with all that Cthulhu Mythos is famous for.

A small leap from that and we arrive at the Sinking City:

A bit more open and detective-based, the game suffered from technical limitations but made up for that with the eldritch atmosphere in a living city where you could freely explore and sometimes stumble into stories that were inspired by Howard.

Then there is an unusual fishing simulator Dredge:

The further you sail from the shore, the weirder the things get until Lovecraftian tension is seeping through every crack. A gem of the game when it came out, it recently got an Iron Rig update, too.

And finally, my personal favorite in the turn-based realm, the Darkest Dungeon:

I have not tried the second game yet, waiting for it to be fully completed, but the first one was a masterpiece with all manner of eldritch horrors and lore. Fun trivia: this is where my avatar is from 😉 And if the game got too repetitive for you (for all its good parts, it did have that issue), modders created a lot of extra content by now.

I will wrap it up here, but this is not the end of it and there are more Lovecraftian vibe games to share. Do you know any?

And @DracoTarot, maybe there are metal bands that used those mythos as an inspiration?