A bit of bad and good news!

Replies
    views
    Community Manager
    Hello Legion Gamers!

Busy day today. Alan Wake 2 DLC got released, and both Atomfall and The Electric State got new trailers. I guess for karmic balance, a bit of sour news are in order, too 😥

The first one is that Netflix, while best of luck to them with The Electric State, has closed down their TeamBlue studio. It was supposed to be working on the new big RPG game, and had many industry veterans, people who worked on Overwatch, God of War and Halo. But the project may have been scrapped before it took off...

Not sure why, but the probable reason is cost. Which brings us to the second news: even for the industry veterans, money is an issue. Studio NEARstudios, which has people who worked on The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim, Mass Effect and The Last of Us, announced their debut game, Hawthorn:

The game was well-liked and wishlisted on Steam over 100K times, and all the while, the developers are making it with their own money. And the game needs investors, but so far it does not have any, despite a successful showcase. If none would be found, developers may try the Kickstarter campaign. Always comes down to the money...

But I would be amiss to leave on a sad note, so here is a more positive one: Mintrocket, the studio behind Dave the Diver, wants to make more games about these characters and expand the universe and lore of that game. They did not want to make the characters too deep in the first game to keep it casual, but now after its great success and many people enjoying this universe, they want to build the characters deeper now. And more power to them.

This is all the news I heard for now. Got any of your own to share?
  • 4 Replies

Community Manager
    @DoctorEldritch

I love that trailer you shared! That game could fulfil one of my childhood´s dream of living as a country mouse XD

Recent good news is that Nómadas studio finally released their new game after Gris, Neva:
    Neva on Steam

I´m looking forward to playing it, I love the art and the world design 🤩
    So the indie industry in Spain is looking good, though of course they share many of the struggles of lots of indie developers, they deserve all the success they´re getting 💪
    Community Manager
    @CandelaSynth If that is your dream, then there already is a game that can help you do that even now 😉

Neva looks nice, I may give it a try when I am in the mood for something melancholic like that. For me, this type of games need to fit a specific mood to enjoy them most.
    Community Manager
    @DoctorEldritch

Oh wow, that game looks super cute, I didn´t know about it 😊
    (and I have too many childhood dreams and not enough lives to fulfil them all, but at least the country mouse one is feasible, heheh).

And yeah, I agree about playing certain games depending on your mood, but what is more melancholic than autuumn? Maybe they have the season in mind for the game release?

Oh and I´ve got some good news:

"Gamescom Asia broke its attendance record, attracting 41,013 attendees to its Singapore-based event last week. This marked a 20% increase in attendance compared to the previous year, as reported by organizer Koelnmesse.
    The event counted with 177 exhibitors, a significant jump from the 136 exhibitors present in 2023.Additionally, it saw a remarkable surge in international participation, with attendees hailing from countries such as Japan, the Philippines, Singapore, Spain, Thailand, and the United States." 🤓
    Community Manager
    @CandelaSynth I have not played it yet myself, but it has good scores, so worth a try.

I enjoy Autumn's yellow and red colours, it only really gets melancholic for me once they fall down and it is grey and bleak and all the trees stand without cover. But maybe counterintuitively, that is not the time for melancholy games like this (or To The Moon, or Spiritfarer). I mean, nature is sad enough already without games like that. For me, those are either for Winter covered in snow when evenings are long and dark and you can sit with tea and reflect, or the Spring when everything bursts to life and game like that may provide contrast and anchor. But that's me...

Ah, good for Gamescom Asia, they seem to know how to throw a party. Anything particularly interesting stood out there?