Legion Go Gen 2 shutdown problem.

  • 13
    Replies
  • 186
    views
  • Kaywen's Avatar
    Level 37
    Hail, Legionnaires!

    I'm posting here rather than in the Italian community I come from, in the hope of reaching more people and perhaps finding others in situations similar to mine.

    Since January of this year, I've been a very happy owner (and I really want to emphasize that) of a Legion Go Gen 2, Z2E + 32GB + 1TB.

    For about two months now, I've been dealing with the "shutdown issue": when I try to shut down my Go, it gets stuck as shown in the picture... "Shutting down...". Other times, the screen turns off but the power button and the controllers remain lit, the fans stop spinning, and the Go starts to overheat. So I have no choice but to force it to shut down.

    Name:  L_Go_problem.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  80.5 KB

    About a week ago, I updated to the latest BIOS available, but it didn't make any difference.
    I installed all the latest driver updates: the first shutdown worked fine, then the problem came back.
    I disabled "Fast Startup" in the Windows Control Panel: again, the first shutdown worked fine, but the problem returned on the next one.

    I've tried every solution I could find on Reddit, but nothing has worked. Some people say that it eventually shuts down after 5–10 minutes, but I'm not comfortable leaving it like that for so long....

    I don't have any more updates available, either through Windows Update or Legion Space. Honestly, I'm running out of ideas. Considering how many people online seem to be experiencing the same issue, I don't think (or at least I hope!!) that sending it in for repair should be necessary....

    Has anyone managed to fix this? Do you have any suggestions? Thanks in advance for any help or replies!

    Happy gaming, everyone!

    P.S.

    I don't have any bloatware running at startup, just Steam and Legion Space. I've tried to keep Windows as clean and lightweight as possible!
    Legion 7 - R7 5800H - RTX3080 16Gb VRAM - 32GB RAM - 2xNvme 1Tb ❤
    LOQ - i7 13620H - RTX4060 8Gb VRAM - 16GB RAM - Nvme 1Tb
    Legion Slim 5 14APH8 - R7 7840HR - RTX 4060 8Gb VRAM - 32GB RAM - 1Tb
  • 13 Replies

  • mazen18's Avatar
    Level 35
    hey hey, from what i have read, it seems that the latest windows update from two months ago started the problem. multiple people said that rolling to the previous update fixes the issue. i hope this helps.
  • Kaywen's Avatar
    Level 37
    @mazen18 Hi, and thanks for your reply. It's very likely that an update is causing the issue, but I haven't figured out which one I'm supposed to remove. I've only found people recommending that I INSTALL ALL THE UPDATES (which I did, of course).
    Legion 7 - R7 5800H - RTX3080 16Gb VRAM - 32GB RAM - 2xNvme 1Tb ❤
    LOQ - i7 13620H - RTX4060 8Gb VRAM - 16GB RAM - Nvme 1Tb
    Legion Slim 5 14APH8 - R7 7840HR - RTX 4060 8Gb VRAM - 32GB RAM - 1Tb
  • mazen18's Avatar
    Level 35
    @Kaywen windows in general aren't really optimized and have problems every now and then on pc. and handhelds don't have a dedicated version so that causes issues.
  • Kaywen's Avatar
    Level 37
    @mazen18 I understand that Windows isn't properly optimized for this kind of device, but at the moment switching to another OS feels a bit premature to me. For the Gen 2, Lenovo had promised a version of SteamOS that was supposed to arrive in May this year. Then, in June, if I remember correctly, Valve released a BETA version of SteamOS to make it compatible with several handhelds, including the Go 2.

    Personally, I was hoping for an officially supported version. I love the Go 2 because it lets me "squeeze in a few minutes of gaming" whenever I get the chance during the day or week. But if I have to spend time tinkering just to get it working properly with a beta OS, or even wait 10 minutes for it to shut down on its own (assuming that even works in my case, as some Reddit users have reported), it kind of defeats the purpose of a product that currently costs over €2,000...

    And just to reiterate: only the official Windows installation, fully updated, Steam, NO cracked games, and NO third-party software. I don't think I've ever kept a Windows installation this clean in 30 years! 😂
    Legion 7 - R7 5800H - RTX3080 16Gb VRAM - 32GB RAM - 2xNvme 1Tb ❤
    LOQ - i7 13620H - RTX4060 8Gb VRAM - 16GB RAM - Nvme 1Tb
    Legion Slim 5 14APH8 - R7 7840HR - RTX 4060 8Gb VRAM - 32GB RAM - 1Tb
  • mazen18's Avatar
    Level 35
    @Kaywen i also think switching an os just to skip dealing with a problem is too much, and reinstalling should be the last step. i do believe it's solvable, the problem lies in not knowing what really causes the issue in the first place. and there's multiple people having the same problem, so it's not a user usage causing it. and besides, from what you have said it seems you're taking really good care of your devices.

    do you have the xbox full screen experience? someone said turn off xbox mode / fse. Shut the device down. Power it up again and enable XBOX mode. That did the trick for them.
  • Abdelsalam's Avatar
    Level 54
    Yeah, it definitely sounds like a software issue. I just hope they can figure out what’s causing it, because having to reinstall everything over something like this would be a pain.
    ”Not all those who wander are lost“
  • Genralzee's Avatar
    Level 5
    You can uninstall windows updates if that are new.
  • Kaywen's Avatar
    Level 37
    Update: I finally worked up the courage the other night and tried waiting a little longer before forcing it to shut down. As usual, it got stuck on "Shutting down...", the fans stopped spinning, while the LEDs remained on.

    Since a user on Reddit suggested waiting it out, I decided to give it a try and kept an eye on the clock. After about 7 minutes in that state, the fans suddenly ramped up to full speed, and then the Go finally shut down.

    I've had two more gaming sessions on my Go since then, and ever since that happened... it has shut down normally every single time, within a minute.

    I'll run another test today during my lunch break at work, but so far it seems to be working fine...

    I'll keep you posted. In the meantime, I'd like to thank everyone who took the time to help me and reply!
    Legion 7 - R7 5800H - RTX3080 16Gb VRAM - 32GB RAM - 2xNvme 1Tb ❤
    LOQ - i7 13620H - RTX4060 8Gb VRAM - 16GB RAM - Nvme 1Tb
    Legion Slim 5 14APH8 - R7 7840HR - RTX 4060 8Gb VRAM - 32GB RAM - 1Tb
  • Kaywen's Avatar
    Level 37
    Here we are: I finished my 20-minute Final Fantasy VII session a little while ago. I shut down the Go directly from the Legion Space quick menu, and everything worked perfectly.

    Could that really have been all it needed? Just waiting? Maybe I'm a little too paranoid about my devices, and when I noticed it heating up, I was worried I might damage it. 😅

    Damn Windows...
    Legion 7 - R7 5800H - RTX3080 16Gb VRAM - 32GB RAM - 2xNvme 1Tb ❤
    LOQ - i7 13620H - RTX4060 8Gb VRAM - 16GB RAM - Nvme 1Tb
    Legion Slim 5 14APH8 - R7 7840HR - RTX 4060 8Gb VRAM - 32GB RAM - 1Tb