Digital ownership of games

Dont know if you are aware of the recent ceo talks about how Digital ownership of games doesnt actually mean they belong to you but you have a licence to use them for whatever time the game's company want. I am kinda a lot irritated about that fact and how its legal and nobody do anything to change it. I mean if you buy a physical copy of some game you can have it forever and they cant do nothing about it but if you pay the same price for a digital one you cant? How is that logical and legal? As someone who only plays on pc i have around 400 games mostly free, but nothing belongs to me even the ones i paid them....

Parents
  • This is a very complicated topic that has been ongoing for years; it's nothing new, sadly. The fact that you don't own digital games, but merely a limited license to use those games digitally, stems from the root that you don't actually "own" the physical games either. You own the physical media and can do with it what you want once you buy it, but you don't own the game on it; you own a limited license to play that game. This means you can't take the game that's on the physical media, modify it, and then call it or sell it as your own. The intellectual property, the content, binaries, and everything else belong to the developer/publisher or the owner of the IP (even a more complicated solution). So, while most of us are under the impression that we "fully" own physical games, we actually don't; we only own the media the game is on, while the ownership of the game is pretty much the exact same as the ownership of digital games - you own just a limited license (according to the End User License Agreement and Terms of Service) to play that game as long as you follow the terms of that license, and as long as the company issuing that license keeps it that way, or stops existing, in which case the game is either acquired by another entity or ceases to exist altogether. Like I said, it's a very complicated topic that would need a dissertation to fully understand the fine print.

• This is a very complicated topic that has been ongoing for years; it's nothing new, sadly. The fact that you don't own digital games, but merely a limited license to use those games digitally, stems from the root that you don't actually "own" the physical games either. You own the physical media and can do with it what you want once you buy it, but you don't own the game on it; you own a limited license to play that game. This means you can't take the game that's on the physical media, modify it, and then call it or sell it as your own. The intellectual property, the content, binaries, and everything else belong to the developer/publisher or the owner of the IP (even a more complicated solution). So, while most of us are under the impression that we "fully" own physical games, we actually don't; we only own the media the game is on, while the ownership of the game is pretty much the exact same as the ownership of digital games - you own just a limited license (according to the End User License Agreement and Terms of Service) to play that game as long as you follow the terms of that license, and as long as the company issuing that license keeps it that way, or stops existing, in which case the game is either acquired by another entity or ceases to exist altogether. Like I said, it's a very complicated topic that would need a dissertation to fully understand the fine print.

Children
No Data