SO-DIMMS to CAMM2

JEDEC have been working to standardise CAMM2 into the mobile market for a while now, I believe some Thinkpads can use LPDDR5X CAMM modules at 7500MT/S

The advantages are meant to be generally lower powered even when standard DDR5 over the LP/X versions and apparently it should be easier to achieve higher guaranteed clocks too.

Much lower profiles due to an LGA mount rather than the slots, great for thin and light machines, doesn't matter so much for powerful gaming machines as other cooling aspects take up space.

Anyway, if these things are in Thinkpads... how come we haven't seen them in the Slim versions? Or if they're generally.meant to be better than SODIMMS, why aren't the Pro 5/7 beasties rocking these things?

• Yeah, looks like a nice improvement. The reason why they are in limited use may just be that the supply isn't here yet. The memory factories won't just produce massive numbers right away.

• It looks hellish expensive for end users to upgrade, only one CAMM2 interface available on the board because of the strange shape and pin layout whereas SODIMM can at least be stacked and do not require screwing into place. I can foresee shorts from CAMM2 models not installed properly happening as they need a decent amount of pressure to maintain contact from the iFixit teardown I have seen and write-ups elsewhere.

I don't know how they managed to get a 7th gen ThinkPad P1 unless they have some agreement with Lenovo and it was a loaned engineering sample.

I don't really see a place for it in gaming laptops until it becomes more mainstream and also because of the impact the form factor would have on the cooling real estate which gaming laptops require, it really is targeted at business laptops like the ThinkPad P1 and servers more than consumer grade laptops.

Would you really want to buy a high end gaming laptop where the only way you could upgrade it is buy a really expensive single module? Yes it could be really thin but at the same time, cooling yet again rears it's ugly head.

Okay soldered RAM plus 1xSODIMM maybe isn't ideal but it is tried, tested and affordable for end users in thinner gaming laptops. In my Legion Slim 7 that configuration is reported as running in Quad Channel, so some of the reporting about CAMM2 bringing quad channel for the first time to laptops is slightly misleading information. All CAMM2 does is package quad channel on one module, not bring anything revolutionary (especially as Dell revealed CAMM back in 2022 and donated the intellectual property to JEDEC)

• The cost is subjective, I saw kits for about 170, I've paid similar for a 2 x 16gb of premium RAM for my laptop when the kits were new.

The other points you make are sound though, I guess a lot more time and R&D need to pass to see how it can be implimented nicely and safely.

It is still kinda exciting to know there is the potential for something better out there. Few more years for refining and maybe it can come up good.

• As something relatively new Is probably quite expensive for be introduced on more higher tier models like the Legion 5 or Legion 7.

I wasn't aware of this, but I'm frankly exited to see the thermal and performance improvements CAMM will bring to the table.

Thanks for the news Ragnaraz 

• Most welcome, I read about it a few years ago, since then there has only.been snippets of info. Basically Dell came up with it and then gave it to JEDEC to try and make it a new better standard.

So far it only seems to be workstation type stuff and a few laptops that impliment it. Tis certainly an exciting prospect.

• The Legion Slim 5 14" would be a candidate, maybe the next Legion 7 (aka Slim, not Pro) and possibly the Legion Slim 5 16" too. I guess we'll find out towards the end of the year

• I just saw some specs for DDR6, the speeds are insane at top end, my worry is if it ends up like gen 5 SSDs. You any of that performance and it gets hot and needs a cooler.

I imagine a CAMM profile would actually make it easier to attach a cooler for the RAM. I mean I have coolers on my RAM sticks because of the frequency they run, but its not exactly a simple job to do it.

• For laptops those speeds should be more achievable with LPDDR6X either soldered or in CAMM2 form and hopefully because of the lower power draw required it won't run much hotter than DDR5 SODIMM do currently. In desktops they may also need to rethink how close the DIMM slots are if the heat dissipation becomes more of an issue. Current heat spreaders on desktop DIMM don't actually encourage much airflow, especially when shrouded with RGB on top instead of fins. They are so tightly packed together in the slots that only the first module towards the front of the chassis is actually getting any real benefit from cooling fans in some instances.

• I did see (not sure if legit) a picture of a motherboard with a CAMM2 slot, even if a development type I think it will be better over all.
    Higher signal integrity, apparent lower voltages and with the way the mounting works it would be really easy to integrate or attach a cooler to them. That way, lower temps means it can be OC'd safely too.

I'd sooner go CAMM2 over LPDDR6X, temps depending, soldered modules would be near impossible to cool unless they made mounts for lo profile coolers. I guess it also depends on timings too. We need more data! someone needs to run prototypes of CAMM2 with high performance modules so we can see what we're working with.

• There's one desktop board with CAMM2 being shown at Computex by MSI from their Project Zero series, so it is legit by the looks of it