Which Games/Series/Books *Didn't* you want to finish?

With The cold weather of January seemingly never-ending, there has been more time to catch up and complete some games and books in my backlog. Some were frustrating, others proved satisfying, and a few left me wanting more. 

But it got me thinking. Which games, books, films or TV series, for whatever reason, did you *NOT* want to Finish. Perhaps you wanted more of the character, or needed to see how a story developed. Or maybe it was a 180 situation, where you felt the game was cut prematurely (looking at you, Halo 2), or a protagonist made a decision that didn't fit with their established character for a contrived ending (too many to mention. But obviously including the Game of Thrones TV series). 

As an example, here are my personal top 3, but I shall be deliberately non-specific so as not to spoil potential enjoyment.

3). Shadow of The Colossus

An experience where you in addition to an ever-growing list of hardships to overcome, you find a deeper mystery. While the ending on its own has a reason for not wanting 'This' to be the final chapter (and this is very much a case of if you know, then you know), the factor which made me not want to finish the game was the setting.

The Forbidden Lands are full of structures, ruins, and shrines. Some are overgrown, others buried in sand, and others loom large even now. Who were the people who built them, and what happened to their civilization? What link does our ancient sword hold to this unknown past? And why are there forces determined to stop us from knowing? Sadly, the title screen brings a close to this world. (I still cannot recommend it enough. and pro tip, Stand next to Agro, and press the Square button to pet him.)

2). Oxenfree.

You know sometimes you have a day where you do everything right, by the book, and still, you end up having something terrible occur? Now extrapolate that out to a cosmic level, and you have the Dilemma of Oxenfree. You won't want to finish, as the maxim "at least it can't get any worse" is disproved time and time again.

And Time And Time Again.

And Time And Time Again.

Oops, I seem to have gotten caught in a loop there! Grimacing

1). Subnautica.

A game I almost skipped entirely. I had read it was 'Underwater Minecraft' (a completely false assertion, btw). Stranded on an Alien Planet, your goal is to find a way back home.

Discovering ages-old mysteries, deep lore, and a varied and fascinating range of life.

Planet 4546B feels like an infinite well full of secrets just begging to be discovered. After the initial urge to discover a way off the world, I had an innate desire to stay and learn here. Yet all the game wanted me to do was fly away. 

Honourable mention: HELLBLADE: SENUA’S SACRIFICE 

Not a game I have played yet, but on my list to play next. 2 of my friends have told me it gets rough. And that's from a game that starts off horrifically (from an emotional point of view). 

So now you've read my choices why not share yours. And not only what and why, but has there ever been a piece of media you have outright refused to finish, and why? 

• One of the biggest let downs for me was the way LOST ended, it just didn't make any sense and left so many unanswered questions.

For games I'd like to see more Half-Life releases, not remakes but new games that can take advantage of modern GPU features and not just VR exclusives. Probably an obvious choice but it's just one of those games I keep going back to play through.

• The song of ice and fire books. I read the first 4, but became more and more annoyed starting from the third book on because of all the unnecessary side stories. Needless to say that I didn't read the fives book, but perhaps I will pick it up again in case book 6 and 7 get published.

• In games, I think Uncharted was a love/hate sotuation for the ending. 4 really did tie things up nicely overall, but theough those 4 games you learned to love Nate's adventures, the interactions with Sully and a few others, they almost feel like old friends... so seeing it end properly with the happy ever after was wholesome... but at the same time confirmed no more adventures. I also think that bringing it back for a 5 would ruin it.

I gave lost legacy a try and I just couldn't get into it. I wish there could be more... but don't want them to actually do it.

• I'm glad the OP listed three because honestly I have so many of these unfinished games that probably will end up falling under the "I don't want to finish you" category.

The first is the Metro series. I want to play them in order, but there is one level in the first game where the *** are fighting the Communists, and for some reason, I just get stuck there. It's not too difficult, and it's not bugged - I just lose interest in the game at that exact point. It's happened to me twice, so I think that lands it in the "will not finish" category.

The second game is RUINER, which I honestly quit just because it was too hard. You can read online about the second time you face TrafficKing, one of the bosses. It's insanely difficult and I just lost the patience. Wasn't a massive fan of the game in the first place and I always sucked at it, so I didn't feel too bad about getting rid of it.

Third, Spellforce. I played Spellforce 2 not having started with the first one, and not only was the plot ridiculously confusing, the gameplay just couldn't hold my attention. I really wanted to like this game, because I enjoy RTSs and their stories and map designs can be fantastic, but sadly, this game outright killed my interest in the Spellforce series, and I won't be finishing it.

• Hmm, recently I just couldn't finish the movie everything everywhere all at once, it was just so random and I couldn't watch it for more than 20 minutes at a time.

• For me was Subnautica, like you said is like Minecraft but underwater , everything inside the game is really calm but at the same time mysterious and dangerous. You'll never forget some encounters with hostile animals. 

Even after finishing, just hanging around is an experience Grin

• That's how I feel too lately. Can't even remember which game I enjoyed and finished to the end.

• Honestly "RAFT" an amazing game dont get me wrong but when you play it for like few hours you just loose the sense in doing the thing stuck at sea and you ain't even doing much the story is junky so i only seen the ending by going on youtube i know a bit of a cheat but i couldn't be bothered, when you play with friends its more interesting but they all busy and uninterested with the game they rather play fifa or fallout. 

I wouldnt recommend it unless you like to just sit and relax im more of action/ shooter occasionally adventure like minecraft or starbound. 

Honestly the series online on Netflix are so depressive every time they make something really good they pull it out next season . im so annoyed there are so many shows that could've been generally top 100 of the year if not all time and they just pull it cause the first season didnt get enough watch time like they dont even recommend it to no one how is it ever gonna reach anyone. eh at least Mr White was a thing that series is helerious only watch two seasons ngl need to watch that thing again so good. 

• Hyperion. It just got very dry 350 pages in. I was reading it while commuting then the pandemic happened and I moved to WFH. 

• The game series that I didn’t want to finish was Bioshock. That series was amazing! I loved exploring the dystopian worlds of Rapture and Columbia and finding out their secrets and stories. The games had incredible atmosphere, gameplay, and characters. The games also had mind-blowing twists and endings that made me question everything. The games were a masterpiece of storytelling and immersion. I felt like I was part of those worlds. I didn’t want to leave them.

But eventually, I had to finish the series and say goodbye to those places and people. It was bittersweet, but also rewarding. The series gave me a sense of awe and wonder that few games can match. It was one of the best series of all time, in my opinion.