Best and worst plot twists you've experienced in a game?

What are the best ones you've come across? Any jaw-dropping moments where you had to just stop what you were doing and clap at the writing prowess of the game developers?

And what are the worst ones? What made you eye-roll or cringe harder than ever, or something you saw blatantly coming an age before it happened?

No spoilers! So be careful how you word things.

• I don't play to much but for me was Red Dead Redemption 2, I wasn't expecting to lose that character. Was a good plot for the history but at the same time was really sad...

• I can't recall too many mind-blowing twists in games (which is concerning for either my memory or for game developers), but some of the ones that come to mind are:

Bioshock's 'reveal' moment - I will say no more, but most of you have undoubtedly played this game.

Warcraft 3 when Arthas 'turns' - this wasn't so surprising, but it was interesting in a game like Warcraft which had been so black and white before that.

I mentioned it in a post a while back, but I also thought that Neverwinter Nights had a really good plot twist toward the end.

And finally, though I am loath to admit it, the CoD franchise did have some pretty epic plot twists.

• Over the years, I've seen quite a few good and memorable plot twists, so it's hard to pick just one of them as the very best. One of my fondest memories is from Final Fantasy X, and recently, I played Nier Automata, which also has several good plot twists.

As for the worst one, I have never truly seen a plot twist that was really bad, just very predictable, but that might have been due to my selection of games. I would like to mention the ending of Mass Effect 3, which is considered by many as one of the worst plot twists, but I have to admit that I didn't find it to be that bad.

• Elden Ring has a few excellent plot twists, in my opinion, although some of them are not yet clear, as most of the story is not fully explained, and players are left to speculation. I wonder how and if the upcoming DLC will address this.

• I would like to mention Kingdom Hearts as having one of the better plot twists, but it comes with a big 'but'. I love Kingdom Hearts games, don't get me wrong, and the overall story is great, but some plot twists are so convoluted that they make the entire story from KH1 to the currently last KH3 look like a spaghetti of randomness if you don't manage to understand it all.

• Spec Ops is a great shout!

• So without spoiler I only say game names. 

BioShock

BioShock Infinite

final fantasy 7 and 10 

Spec Ops: The Line

• How are we meant to describe plot twists without spoilers?? Seems kind of paradoxical, no?

Let's try though... in there is an amazing moment in Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 (Not the remakes) that has the part where someone says: "Good. That's one less loose end" - Amazing scene and completely didn't see it coming at the time of playing.

• Honestly, I don't remember any plot twist in a video game. Well perhaps in CoD Coldwar considering that the character turned out to be some kind of double agent. But other than that, no idea.

• The worst "plot twist" in a video game I've experienced definitely goes to Divinity Original Sin 2. The story is set up so you're supposed to be thinking of one thing (the story keeps nudging you towards that conclusion), and then tries to "surprise" you with a plot twist at the end of the game.

It would be all dandy if their attempts were believable to make the player think of it, but those attempts were lousy and smelled fishy so far and away that my brother and I figured it out way sooner than the end of the game. That "surprise" of a "plot twist" ended being a disappointment and a let down.