Cooling pads! - Do they make a difference? tell me what you think!

Are you a legion laptop user? if so. Are you using a cooling pad or no,and do they think they make a difference?. I personally think they really do,performance wise and ergonomically. and they dont cost alot neither. but from your view are they worth it?

• meant so say ''do you think they make a difference'',sorry for the error guys xd

• I don't have legion but I've used cooling pad for my 1060 laptop and it helps lower the temps with about 5 degrees Celsius. Applying liquid metal helps a lot too. maybe with another 5 degrees Celsius

• When I buy my legion 7 it was impossible to get the legion laptop stand. Sold out on Amazon and Lenovo site for ages. I then buy the standard Lenovo metal laptop stand. I feel it helps, the tilt of the stand helps the airflow. 

• Yes it does help with airflow and cooling, especially as the Targus Chill Mat version I have is solid underneath and covered in fabric so I can use it on my lap, the sofa or lying on a bed with no airflow restrictions. Ergonomically not so much the way I use it since not at a desk anyway. I obviously don't carry the chill mat with me when I'm working on the road with the laptop either as it's too cumbersome.

• This topic is kind of my forte.

I have tested several on several machines.
    Raising the back helps the laptop fans breath easier. Less restriction means more airflow.
    Lesser 5v fans pretty much replicate this by creating a breeze so again the fans don't have to suck the air in as much.
    I made a cooler with 2 Arctic P14's running at 15v, they made a nice difference to my A15, but I had opened up more vents on the chassis to aid airflow.
    Lastly I bought a GT500, which is a monster, noisy but moves a lot of air and has a memory foam seat so air cannot escape unless it is through the laptop.

There is a science to this:
    Fan type, static pressure and ventilation.

Fan types are limited to axial traditional and centrifugal blowers.
    Axial are quieter generally but due to design and material issues the blades do not cover the whole housing, meaning any air you blast at something, if it can't go through it, it will come back around the blades. This also limits static pressure quite a lot. Centrifugal blowers tend to pull in from the bottom and blow out from the side (speaking more specifically the GT500 design), because blades and fan chassis is irrelevant here, you get no blow back to speak of. This allows much greater static pressure, the downside is they are larger and noisier fans.
    My homemade cooler made a good difference over stock albeit with more ventilation on the A15, I gave that to a friend and it netted him about 10-15c on his Legion 5 5800H 3060 machine so I know it works well on unmodified machines too.
    The ventilation plays a large part of the cooling effect, if you have restrictive inflow, although and positive pressure against the fans will garner results, the more air and easier path it has to those fans the more air can be shifted. If there is generally more throughput in the chassis itself ALL components are cooler. So spikes are a little lower and the heat soak takes longer, the over all temperature will be lower too.

More airflow within reason is better. I have tested 2 gens of Legion 5 on my GT500 and both saw heavy drops in temps. Made even better by swapping PTM to liquid metal, but that's not the point. dissipate the heat faster and temps stay lower. In personal experience, coolers like the GT500, can make a stark difference in temps.

• The gt500 is so huge. i currently have a basic cooling pad that cools my laptop by like 4-6c or more depending on load. i mostly use it with fans off but turn them on if it gets too hot and then it starts to make a difference. i can feel the cpu getting cooler and the gpu has no trouble with temps. altough. 15c thats A LOT i must say.

• I bought a decently-priced Klim cooling pad from Amazon and although it doesn't make a world of difference, it is noticeable. Even just now, I was running a game and noticed a few skips and jumps, then realized my pad wasn't plugged in, so plugged it in and the skips disappeared almost immediately.

I will say, however, that I've had equal if not better performance enhancements from using a tall, minimalist metal laptop stand. My Legion laptop is old and discontinued now, but it seems to work best with anything that elevates it off of a solid surface (which presumably blocks heat escape).

So yeah, all in all, cooling pads do help, but I'm not sure they help significantly more than simply elevating your Legion laptop would, unless they are very advanced/high end.

• From my experience, yes, they do make a difference, but that difference might not be justifiable by the cost of the cooling pad. In many cases, getting a simple laptop stand that elevates it and provides the laptop with some breathing room, allowing air to flow freely, can already make a noticeable difference for a fraction of the price.

• I haven't done any proper tests so I can only say what I've observed. Please take it with a grain of salt haha
    It does seem they do make a difference. Ever since I've started using them I've noticed that my laptop doesn't warm nearly as much and the fans don't turn on. And it seems to run faster

• I have the same pad and I agree that the difference it's quite noticeable.