AI search tools that you use

I recently came across Perplexity AI, an AI-powered chatbot like loads of others (ChatGPT, for example), but it can search the internet, is free (for now?), and has its additions.

The best things I've seen on it after some querying is that it gives you links to the sources of its answer so it acts like a search tool as well as a summary/chat tool. It also provides "you might be interested in" topics after running a query and lets you have a conversation on the results.

It also doesn't require a login, which is cool.

I've read that some believe it could dethrone Google. With Bing using OpenAI and now this, Google could be threatened, but we know it's got its own implementations in the works, too (Bard, for example).

What do you guys think? Do you use AI-supported search tools - which ones? Have you seen Perplexity AI by now? Are you excited about the developments of AI search?

P.S. I am not affiliated with any of the companies/products in this thread.

• If I know what I'm looking for is too complex to put into simple words, I use Bard. I also ask it to provide sources should I need to dive deeper to verify if that it was returning to me was on par with what I was looking for.

• We all use AI search these days as both Google and Bing (renamed Co-pilot) utilise AI. DuckDuckGo still piggybacks off Bing and they are really the top three used search providers still. There are a few others like Yahoo! which is becoming less relevant, Yandex (the Russian equivalent to Google) and Ecosia. I tend to use Google as I use a lot of their other services anyway so am not too fussed if they have my search data since I don't look at anything dodgy anyway

• Besides Google and other search engines, I use OpenAI to search through journals, it really speed it up a lot.  

• Perplexity is cool, and I've used it before for multiple things, but it still comes across as a chatbot rather than a search engine, in my opinion. Also, I don't think it even comes close to dethroning Google.

Speaking of, Google just released Gemini, and it's a pretty impressive multimodal LLM that's been incorporated into Bard, so basically it annihilates Perplexity in terms of problem solving, using multimedia, and by plenty of other benchmarks. Not saying this to bump up Google, which could really use a competitor, but a company with that much capital doesn't get threatened easily, and I think Gemini does have quite a lot of promise.

In terms of use, I've just jumped on board for Bard now that it's been upgraded (it used to be pretty weak compared to the other AI tools), and I've used Bing for a while too. It's pretty exciting that all of these tools get more and more complex every few months. Can't wait to use GPT or Bard/Gemini to help me code something!

• Besides chatgpt I've used perplexity.ai and phind.com before, there's also demo instances of other solutions on huggingface.co like Falcon-180B, a high performance open source LLM.

My hope is to eventually have hardware to run a LLM locally on my computer, a true AI assistant that doesn't rely on or connect to a third party service (unless you want it to) and isn't there to datamine you. Currently this still requires very expensive hardware but I'm optimistic about future hardware bringing the cost down massively within the next 2-3 years as NPUs become more common and GPUs get more and more VRAM.

• I don't really use it for searches but co pilots handy with drafting out responses and building out drafts. Still needs heavy editing and validation. For the most part its sped up a lot of tedious work. 

• I've used a scientific search engine that highlighted the most important parts with different colours in abstracts. Which was really useful to scan through a large amount of publications. Otherwise I simply stick with Google.

• In all honesty, I dont use any. I am aware that it can glean information quicker and give more specific answers, but part of me kinda likes looking through stuff and reading peoples experiences rather than just an answer. Maybe Im weird?

• Wait, which search engine did you use for scientific search? I usually just google that and read the abstracts and then decide to dive deeper or move on. It would be nice to have some tool to summarize research papers, but being content aware, unlike ChatGPT which ignores written facts left and right.

• I havent actually used any open AI search tools, I've been on chat GPT to ask a few questions, but seeing a lot of you guys mention Bard. I'm going to give it a go and see what it is like today